Why do men seem to insist on their wife changing her last name?

In a recent poll, the majority of men want their wife to change her last name.
Why is changing her last name that important to you?

Most Helpful Guy

• I couldnt care less. I would change my last name if she wanted me to.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know. I really don't get it.

I can understand why people who plan to have kids would want to share a name, but there is no reason it has to be the husbands, and there is no Eason she should have to change her name even if they decide to give the kids his name.

I think for a lot of them it is just the way they always assumed things would go and for some reason they take it personally if their wife wants to choose otherwise. They shouldn't tho. It's not emasculating or disrespectful or any of the other bs a lot of them say it is. It's just a woman who wants to keep her own identity.

I'm glad my boyfriend doesn't give a shit.

What Guys Said 6

• I always wondered why the woman has to change her last name.

Like... if I were a woman, I'd want to keep my last name. It's kind of important to me. Hell, I like my last name.

• I do not, I'm modern. If she wants to keep her last name, it's her right to keep it.

• Because it is convenient.
    Family should have one surname, if you decide to keep yours then what are you gonna call your kids?
    Two surnames?

And a few generations into the future, what are their names gonna be?
    Transcripts of the Lord of the Rings?

• It means she's now yours. Whats so bad about that.

• You're now hers too, so why not change your name?

• @Sara413 look i dont know how to explain. It would be great if you wouldn't make it a big deal, but whatever thats by the way you and your man. I hope not all girls feel this way. I guess i'll have to add this to the list of things i need to figure out before getting into a relationship.

• I meant between you two

• Maybe to carry on the family name. I literally don't get the point...

• It's really the only way a woman can seem to show her commitment to a guy in marriage. Everyone always talks about a guys commitment but no one really ever talks about a womans.

• Huh? How does not changing her name make her commitment any less than the commitment he made?

• He doesn't have to do shit that she doesn't as well. They're both committing to support and love one another through sickness and health etc etc.

• Men show committment by having to buy expensive ass engagement rings. You can say they don't HAVE TO but the majority of women won't marry a guy otherwise. Men also have financial committment to her especially if they get divorce which statistically speaking they will get. And don't tell me either that whoever makes more has the obligation because guess what? www.forbes.com/.../#5cef5c3423c2 even when guys who were stay at home dads fight for alimony they won't get it even though they are every bit eligble for it.

So yeah guys show huge amounts of commitment. For a girl to say no to literally their one commitment makes them look like massive selfish assholes compared to all the commitment a man must show.

What Girls Said 1

• I'm not a guy but I assume to like feel like they're really apart of the same family. It's like "have you met Jennifer and Tom smith?"rather than "Have you met Jennifer Johnson and Tom smith" it could confuse people because they're married but you any tell because you said Jennifer Johnson and Tom smith. That could be any two people who don't even know each other. It makes it easier and so they can have a joint family name. Just like for your kid. They will have either the moms name, the dads name, or a heighfenated name. Ex Johnson-smith but if the kid takes the moms last name and then say the dad picks him up for school and says hi I'm Tom smith I'm looking for my son Sam Johnson well then it could be confusing. It's like, is he adopted, is he his real dad? Who knows. Also, maybe the man just wants the feeling of knowing you guys are joint in some way. You are married therefore you have the same last name. Just like how when you're married you normally share a bedroom or a bank account or whatever. It's not always necessary but it makes it easier for you and the government to legally be a family and so forth. lol just my opinion.