Would you sign a prenuptial agreement?

Just curious, mainly because I found out my friends sign a prenup 2 weeks ago.

I should add that they made this together. It wasn't on side asking the other.

• Yes
  • Never

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's good to have a prenup, there's a lot that can go wrong and I think it's also good to let each other know that they want them for them and not for their material possessions.

Most Helpful Guy

• It is ALWAYS the smartest thing to do even if both people are rich/poor. It's impossible to predict the future and a divorce could happen to anybody.

What Girls Said 33

• If someone is very wealthy I totally understand. Yes, in a dream world marriage lasts forever and you should believe in it, blah blah blah. But logically, you never know what will happen in the future, people change and issues come up. There is so much divorce around us and when all those people got married they probably thought it was forever too. So, logically, I just understand that someone would want to protect their finances, it is not romantic, but it is smart.

• Never
    I would never marry a wealthy man so that's mainly why.
    Its impossible to pre-determine the sacrifices one might have to make during the marriage.
    If my career got big and I became the main breadwinner - My husband would be the main responsibility for the children and household. I wouldn't have been able to do this and have a family without my husband.
    So its only fair he gets a proportionate amount if we got a divorce.
    I wouldn't want to make anyone have absolutely nothing after they invested so much time and love in a relationship and lifestyle.
    It would be the same I hope if my husband was the main provider.

Divorce will never make me bitter.

• Plus I would hope we'd have enough sense and respect to know whats best for the children.

• Yes, I'd rather have one.

• Maybe, if they had a good reason to ask me to and they were respectful about it. If they had a lot of assets that they wanted to protect, I'd understand. If not, I'd be a little confused.

• I have no issue with it personally.

• sure if money is such a big deal

• There's no reason not to, honestly. 50% of marriages end in divorce. It's pragmatic to protect your premarital assets.

You may have faith in the person you're marrying but you haven't met the person they will be in a decade. And if they turn out to be a piece of shit, why pay out what you earned before the marriage? And if you stay happy and together, then there's no problem.

Trust, but verify.

• Yes, if anything, I would be the one asking my partner to sign it lol

• Is there something particular you would want on it?

• I'd want to make sure my stocks remains mine and that any of my husband's student loans remain his.

• I don't care about stealing that persons out of everything so it makes no difference to me. So it wouldn't bother me to do it.

• I'd be fine with it

• Maybe

• See I doubt I'll be rich before marriage, so I don't really see the point, especially as it doesn't protect anything within/earned during the marriage.
    But if he wanted to, then sure.

• absolutely. first thing going on it is no anal sex. or ay sex act involving excrement.

• I wouldn't want to, I'd hope they kniw I'm marrying them because I love them, not because I want anything. And I don't really believe in divorce so

• I don't see a problem with it. As long as it's fair and my fiance doesn't wait last minute to give it to me.

• Sure if he wanted to and I respected and trusted him.

• Yes people hide their mental sickness really well

• I have some assets left to me in an inheritance that I don't want anyone but myself to have access to. Get your own rich uncle. Mine was lovely and I am so fortunate that he was willing and able to look after my welfare.

• Sure. But I'd want to record us repeating the agreement out loud and have a lawyer witness so he can't lie.

• Yes, but my boyfriend doesn't have anything and neither do I. So I don't see the point

• Sure. I don't have a problem with that.

• Never

• Yep! As long as they sign one for me too! I have stuff I don't wanna lose either. 😬

• Why not really I think everyone should be allowed to keep their own money. If you wish to share your money you can put that in the prenup but otherwise why do you need to pass it on to certain people you don't want it to go to maybe

• nope, not about that life.
    I don't take marriage as a joke

• My family is damn wealthy they better sign a prenuptial agreement

• Fucking no

• I think the motivation for creating a prenup is fucked up so obviously I'd never sign one

• Yes I would sign a prenup.

• Yes i like the idea of it. Neither get cheated of their hard earned money.

• More from Girls
    3

What Guys Said 30

• Sure, but I would never marry a girl until I lived with her for a long time and made sure it can really last. Besides, the woman I married makes as much as I do. We didn't do a prenup but it wouldn't matter to me either way.

• A prenup is worthless. They routinely get thrown out by judges. All a woman has to do is say she didn't understand it, even if she had a lawyer and two years to go over it, or she signed it under duress ("He wouldn't marry me if I didn't sign it!"... um, yeah, that's kind of the point), and judges will throw it right in the bin.

Prenup: The same as thinking that a raincoat will protect you from an erupting volcano. If you're going to get one made, make sure it's printed on nice soft, absorbent toilet paper so it is good for SOMETHING.

Prenups can't be used to deal with what the court considers their sole domain. So custody and Mommy's Party Fund Support are right out. If your prenuptial has those included, it will get tossed.

If a judge doesn't think she gets enough in the prenup, it will get tossed. Even if there are clauses like "She gets nothing if she cheats, 60% if marriage fails for some other reason". Judges seem to take a perverse delight in throwing out prenups that are actually fair to the man, especially if there is anything that punishes the woman for cheating.

I looked into prenups after divorcing my now-ex. Figured if I got married again, I wanted everything spelled out ahead of time so there was no year long court process, she couldn't lie on the court papers to try to squeeze me for more shit, and there would be NO possibility of having to pay vagimony. I was a little shocked and dismayed to find out everything I just shared above.

The best thing to do is not get married. Don't live with a woman and refer to her as your wife, or share a bank account either. This is what's known as common law marriage, and the state makes sure to extract as much from a man in that situation as would be extracted if there was an actual marriage.

There's no reason for a man to get married, and a whole host of reasons not to.

Women can say "If you love her you'd marry her", but the simple fact of the matter is, if SHE loved HIM she wouldn't insist on him signing a contract where she gets all of the advantages and gets a payout if the relationship ends, even if it ended because she was banging half of the county. No one who actually loves another person will demand that they take on the level of risk that marriage involves for a man.

• Oh, and I selected "Never", because I'm not stupid enough to get married again. Not after doing the research that I SHOULD have done before I got married. It wasn't nearly as easy to find that info back in 2001, though.

• yes. I am not marrying anyone for their money. If you have a prenup, your still going to split any monies made during the marriage if you get a divorce. I am fine with that if that is going to make her comfortable. I have no money, so I don't need one.

• 0|0
    • guess what? Bill Burr is a happily married man.

• Or he might live happily ever after and realize getting down on one knee was the greatest decision he has ever made.

• @sparkly-crystal He may. And he may win the lottery, but it's hella unlikely. You see any happily married old couples? They either outwardly hate each other, implicitly hate each other, or are apathetic to each other.

• Yes, so long as the terms were fair.

• Here's a good prenuptial agreement – "if the marriage goes sour and Dr. G the MD has to get a divorce then all the assets of the marriage and all the assets obtained during the marriage including all the assets brought into the marriage by the woman who doesn't understand me, I get everything and she gets nothing. If by chance I'm at fault for anything, I still get all the assets and she gets nothing for I am a great guy and she doesn't understand me. Amen brother."

• As of right now no. What people don't understand is that it only protects you from before you were married. We are both now where near rich now so it wouldn't make that much difference. If I got a large inheriteme maybe.

• Absolutely not.

• Yes I would ask one

• Yes... I'd still leave her with a decent amount of money... but not half if we get divorced... sorry but that shit ain't happening... plus some women will just marry you then divorce you the next month because you have money... shits crazy.

• You guys are retarded if you think prenups mean shit.

• If I have a lot of money, I would certainly require that she sign one. I would sign one if she asked.

• I think pre-nups should be automatic so no one has to chose. Divorce rate is always around 50% (if they even get married) I don't understand how legal marriage should legally entitle any partner to anything if gf/bf can have deeper love or longer relationship. Laws are screwed.

• It seems useful if you're signing marriage papers too

• Since i'll be having one myself for her to sign, of course I will sign hers.

• My boyfriend told me if we get married id have to sign a Prenup which im perfectly fine with i understand that he doesn't want to go through a marriage just to be divorced and lose a lot of stuff.

• I am NOT getting married without a prenup, period.
    Any guy who is dumb enough to get married without a prenup deserves everything coming to him.

• They don't do any good. They are routinely tossed by judges, and they can't cover anything that the court considers their domain (custody, Mommy's Party Fund Support).

The ONLY thing they're good for is giving her even more than she would have gotten if the court divided everything up, since she'll *probably* only get around 60% that way.

• I would, if it were my second marriage, as I have acquired a certain amount of wealth that I would want to make sure is available to my son.

• I would be the one asking for one

• with the way of the world is going on.. without a doubt

• I would sign one, yes. But it would be more accurate to say I'd be the one proposing it in the first place.

• No. They can be legally overruled in a divorce anyway.

• Yeah, especially if the spouse tries to take your money away from you. I heard this type of agreement is garbage.

• id be fine with that

• Yep unless she's really rich

• After already having gone through one divorce, I won't get married again without a pre-nup.

• It won't make a difference. They are useless.

• Starting over isn't the worst thing in the world, as long as you're under 35 and have options. I wanted out of the state I was living in, so I packed everything I still had and wanted in a U-haul trailer, put my cat in the cab of my truck, and moved back out west. Had to live with my parents for a little over 2 years but a year after moving back I got a job that had me on the road most of the time, so it wasn't a big deal. Living there gave me a chance to get caught up on some of the bills/debt I had, which I forgot to mention above. I'm still paying off a credit card, and next month it will be 4 years since the divorce was final. But I've got a place, I'm healthy, I'm happy, I make good money so I can afford the things I want, and I learned A LOT. And I will never repeat the mistake of getting married.

• @Barrabus_the_Free I feel you. I had to live with my brother for several months while I found another job and tried to get back on my feet. Within a few years I had completed my degree, and move out of state to where I am now. Much happier.

• I wouldn't marry in the first place.

• if a woman refuses a prenup, she just wants your money... gold diggersss

• If you aren't willing to bet the farm, don't get married.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more