RULES Marrying a Muslim Man?

Are there different rules whilst being a wife of a Muslim man. Can you still dress the way you want? Do you have to obey your husband and do what he says? I just want to know as my partner who I'm engaged to asked me to marry him and I'm curious.

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends. If he is a secular Muslim, not much will change, though he will no doubt tell you "don't do X, Y, and Z around these people."

If he is a religious Muslim? Enjoy having your life ruined.
    For one thing, you will be forced to convert. Any children you have will be Muslim (under Islamic law, religion is not a choice. If your father is Muslim, the children are Muslim. This is why non-Muslim men are prohibited from marrying Muslim women, because his children would not be Muslim).
    How you dress depends on his culture. Some Islamic culture doesn't care how you dress, other prefer modesty, others go full burqa. For the clearest, easiest to understand book ever conceived, because it is the literal word of Allah? The Koran is remarkably vague about things like how to dress, which is why some Islamic cultures are so strict, and others aren't.

I could go point by point, but I think the most important thing to say is it depends on what kind of Muslim he is, and how devout he is.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's all up to your man lol That's a weird question, you're about to marry him you're supposed to know by now how's the mentality of your fiancee.
    In general I would say, No? Not really, but you'll have to tell us how he is in general.
    If he's marrying a non Muslim woman, although it's allowed if she's Jewish or Christian (without her converting) chances are, he's not super religious to begin with, because most super religious guys I know usually prefer marrying a Muslim woman.

What Guys Said 14

• Rule #1: Don't do it.
    Rules #2 to Infinite: Obey Rule #1.

• Why?

• You don't want western women marrying them, but at the end of the day, it's about what YOU want , but about what THEY want :)

• @ElissaDido That's true. They are free to do what they want. However, Nature is merciless and will not let you recover from bad, ill-informed decisions. Being ill-informed and making an error in a major life decision can be a painful experience. In the West, divorce is an option... unless, apparently, you are married to a Muslim man...

by the way, @asker, here is spme interesting reading about divorce in Islam... I didn't see anything about a wife divorcing her husband (but I could be wrong). What is interesting is talking about divorcing wives under 9 or husbands under 10 divorcing...
      www.al-islam.org/.../divorce

Muslim women should marry Muslum men. This way:
      1. The wife knows what she is getting into... if she's not a child. A western wife won't know that and thus ask G@G questions like this one.
      2. Keep the insanity within their community.

• How about you ask your partner AND read up on it?

• You dress as you want >> depends on him
    Obey your husband? Yes as he must obey you will in Islam it's not a matter of obey as a mater of conversation and if he doesn't accept that then he isn't the man
    As a Muslim is the same as a non muslim man he won't have certain characteristics because he's a Muslim that's stupid

• As a turkish müslim (cultural) l can easily say yes we are respectful to womans. we turks don't consider womans created for giving birth , thanks to ancient Turkish culture. and there are no polygamy in Turkey. significant proportion of turkish womans dont put on hijab and this situation does not create proplem. and turks respect all religion, so there are so many external marriages with Turks and Christian womans about 80 000 in turkey. they don't have to convert to Islam.:-)

• Depends on his interpretation of Islam. I suggest finding out about him and his family before you make such a decision.

• well since im a muslim i would marry only a muslim girl, so i think i won't have to force her into dressing or to any thing like that, but i want my wife to not wear any revealing clothes. and i won't be like her boss to tell her to obey me.

• Yeah, don't.

• I am a muslim and 1. No you dont have to convert to islam but it is a muslim mans duty to make sure his children become muslim so you must expect that your children might become muslim. 2 A muslim man has no saying in what his wife can or can't wear so this totally depends on the person you are marrying.

• Just make sure their are at least 4 male witnesses when he rapes you, that way you will have a chance to not be beheaded publicly

• Shouldn't you have investigated this first?

But being Muslim itself doesn't set these standards.

• Depends where do you live with him.

• No. You can do whatever you want. You are totally free. As long as you are not a muslim.

• You are ugly and weak willed, Right?

• basically, you can expect to be a slave... and perhaps not the only one.

What Girls Said 13

• I think it all depends on how serious they take their religion.. But then the ones that take it über serious probably wouldn't even marry a non-Muslim woman.

• Depends. A very religious Muslim will take away all your rights because, just like in other religions, the man is the ruler of the house and Muslims take that very seriously. But if he's secular or doesn't like 'claim' all parts of the religion, then not much will change. He might still tell you what to do, but it won't be at all like a true Muslim.

I have no idea how the dressing works though.

• Honestly, that depends on the guy's demands and most importantly your will.

• Depends on the person really. If he is the typical religious Muslim guy with an orthodox family, you will be uncomfortable. They have many rules that are conservative and orthodox.
    But it all depends on the guy, if he is liberal and not that religious, it's fine

• I don't think you have to worry, if you are not a practicing muslim and he isn't bothered then most probably he won't ask you to do what you mentioned out of religion pretences

• I mean if he was religious he would have chosen a religious wife

• Too many rules.

• It varies on where he's from and if he's religious. Muslims like any other religion vary from one side of the spectrum to the other. You Probably want to talk to (him) about it.

• I think you need to ask him as he may not actually be aware of the rules himself

• Ask him, not every Muslim feels the same way about these things.

• I'm curious too

• ıt's about you and him
    ıf he is too jelous and not open minded he can make you to not to wear things that you want to wear but ıt's not about being a muslim
    and ı dont know what is a muslim to you but to obey your husband? that's stupid
    ıf you want to know your partner you have to watch and see ıf he is not talking about your clothes he won't when you got married and ıt's more of a personel things

• Depends on the guy. Really.
    But yes, you have to obey your husband to the extent of not being allowed to leave the house if he doesn't give you permission to do so...

• A friend of mine married a muslim and slowly but surely she started to dress like a muslim woman, not sure if it was her choice or her husbands though.