Would you take your husband's last name? Would you prefer your wife to take your last name?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I think this is degrading to women

• I don't believe anyone is an extension of another person... I didn't say that.

But anyways, I have to disagree on your belief that women are more important to kids than men. That's just plain cultural bullshit right there. Most modern dad's are just as involved in their children's lives as the mothers, as they should be.

• @Sara413 I used to be a single dad in the firat year of my baby , while it's cultural so wrong where I live, but that was my choice
      , so I'm not following culture

I didn't say woman is more important, I just pointed that they are not the same

Most Helpful Girl

• I have never wanted to change my name when I get married, and that hasn't changed since meeting my partner. Fortunately, we don't plan to have kids so that's a non- issue. I think if we hypothetically did have kids I would still want to keep my name but we would have to find some compromise in terms of the kids' last names. I don't like hyphenating because that gets convoluted pretty quickly over a couple generations. I'd probably just give them his last name since it's shorter and easier to spell. Save the little bastards the hassle hahaha

What Guys Said 12

• I don't mind, it's up to her. Our names are part of us for our whole lives, I wonder if I'd want it if I were a woman, so I completely understand if she doesn't wanna change hers.

• My wife uses both names, depending on the situation.

• I actually intend for my future wife and I to both take a new name, possibly created from a combination of letters or syllables from our old names.

• I want her to take my last name Im traditional in that sense, or that at least our children will take my last name. Cause I'm the only boy in my family so I feel like its almost my responsibility to continue the family name.

• I wouldn't really care if my wife took my last name or not. I would like it if our children take my last name though. Not really sure why but i would like it.

• It matters not to me. If she wants to, then I'd welcome it. If she didn't, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

• I don't really care, to be honest. Like I have an Asian last name, but if a Caucasian wife which I don't have has a Western surname, I wouldn't mind using that either.

• Yes I would love my wife to take my last name. What ring means to girls, taking my last name would mean same to me.

• Yes I would likely take my husbands name.
    Unless it was complete garbage.

• It's up to her, but I think Hyphenated is the best compromise

• What is your husband's name was Luvsdik? Katie Luvsdik

• not getting married, so yea

What Girls Said 21

• I never thought about it...

Honestly, I'm not sure. It seems like a hastle to get the name change, then have to update everything/everyone about my name change.

At the same time, I feel as if I'd almost be "obligated" to take his last name..

• I don't know, it would depend - My grandpa is a chief of name in Ireland so I'd prefer him to take my name or at least keep both names myself. I wouldn't mind if he preferred to keep his name and to take his name in a combination with mine but I would find it weird if he was already reluctant to that idea in the first place. This ain't the 1950s after all.

• If I wanted to get married, I would keep my name. As much as I hate my last name, I feel that if I take my husband's last name I will lose my identity.
    I know this doesn't make sense to other people, but that's how I feel.

• Yea because I wanna rid of my last name ASAP. I don't want connection to my dad.
    If I wasn't about to turn 18 my step dad would adopt me and I'd take his last name.

• I do plan on taking my husband's last name. Don't see why not, tbqh.

• Sure, I wouldn't mind it, I don't have a particular attachment to my name.

• So many marriage Q's about surnames 😜

Nah I won't take his name. Doesn't mean I love him less it's just that in my culture we don't do that stuff. And it's my name I love it. I was born with it. It's mah identity. I'm see the dude will understand. And if he doesn't..

Well then he can Marry his father. Hahahha 😂😂

• Yes. Except all my mail comes in Spanish now. Ridiculous 😜

• I'd be happy to get rid of my last name.

• yes...

• Yeah because I've been wanting to get rid of mine since I was a child 😂 And I want our whole family to have the same last name.

• Yes. I have the wrong last name now so I'm excited to change it.

• Yes I would take his name

• Nope. That's not common in my country

• Yes I want to

• I have no intention of getting legally married or changing my name.

• I just did, a little over a week ago!

• I wouldn't take it.

• I'd keep my last name unless their last name sounded better with my first name

• My fiancĂ© and I have decided we'll take each others. These aren't our names, but for example. My name is Smith, his is Jones, we'll become Mr and Mrs Smith-Jones

• Yes, I will take my husband's last name when I get married.