Guys, Would you take your wife's last name?

I really like my last name, since it's the only one I've had my whole life so I'm just wondering :p I wouldn't mind taking my husband's name as it's the norm, but my family's name would probably not continue since my dad is the only son of his parents.

• No way!
    54% (51)
  • I'd consider it.
    32% (30)
  • Yes, why not.
    12% (11)
  • Yes, I hate my last name.
    2% (3)
And you are? I'm a GuyGirls can not vote on this poll
Personally, if a guy told me I HAD to take his last name and dump mine all together, that would probably be a deal breaker. I would at least like the option to decide for myself if I want to keep mine or hyphenate.

58

Most Helpful Guy

• The reason the woman took the last name of the husband was as a sign that she was apart of his family now, and was under his protection. Basicly it signfied that he was now responsible for her well being and protection both to him, her and others. So her refusing to take my last name would be to say that I am not worth that ie that she wants my resources but doesn't want to fully commit to me. I imagine it would be much like a man refusing to marry a woman, it would be a sign of not having a full commitment, a way of keeping one foot out the door incase things didn't work out. Now I know most are going to say that this is not how things work currentlY (the taking care of women) however over 80% of women expect men to pay for dates, men are still the primary breadwinners and women the primary spenders (80% of national spending (US) and 70% global) plus despite what women say when something happens they expect men to step up ie whether it be them hearing a noise at night and having the man investigate it or some guy harrassing her and expecting the man to step up and deal with it. We as a society despite what we like to say still expect men to function as they always have (not a bad thing except for the double standard) so if she expects me to function in such a capacity then I expect some kind of acknowledgement for doing so like the tradition of taking my name (and her functioning in traditional role as well (if I have to then so should he otherwise I'm giving far more then she is)). So that would be why I would not accept her not taking my name. If we where equal in all things then it would not be an issue, however that has never really happened as far as I can tell (irregardless of what others like to claim) and for me that would be a friendship not a romantic relationship so I probably wouldn't marry them to begin with. Obviously to each their own but that would be one of the reasons why the guy would be against taking the wifes name or having her keep her name.

What Guys Said 57

• Hell no! Either she takes my name or hythenates our names together, or we will be breaking up.

Can a man get SOMETHING tangible in modern marriage?

• Hmm could you just explain why guys are so against it? I mean, I see most are saying they wouldn't, but why not? It doesn't make you any less of man, your balls will still exist.

• OMG u sound so flustered, he must be terrible. Now I see why you want to keep your name.

• I feel so heartbroken for my poor father 😜 Resting the fate of our name on my brother. And I think my last name fits me so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ maybe one day I'll find a guy who hates his late name or has a boring common one

• I don't care much about my last name, but it's a cultural form of submission and respect. If a woman not willing to take my last name when we marry that's a huge sign of disrespect and I'm not interested in spending my life with a woman who doesn't respect me.

• If I was going to get married I would consider it but since I think I have decided to never get married it will not be an issue for me.

• Yet another reason to not get married.

• I''d be open to the idea. I don't get along well with my family so if I liked her family and got along with them quite well then sure I guess I would.

• Yes I would, it's not a problem for me, I'm not conservative, my surname is not that important for me.

• No, but I would certainly consider her keeping here. I think there is a lot of merit to a lot of traditions, plus it's just an effective system. By switching which gender keeps the name at random, you completely destroy the usefulness of the system.

However, it's also not fair. I recognize that, so I would probably be fine with her keeping her last name.

• No, wouldn't Hyphenate it either. But honestly I don't have any real interest in marriage.

My family isn't that big either so that may be part of it, the other part is I like my last name, it's usually what most people decide to call me actually. As for the Hyphenated I just think they look stupid.

• No, I like my name the way it is. I wouldn't be a hypocrite though, I'd totally understand if she didn't want to take mine and I wouldn't demand it from her.

• my name is my name lol and im not loosing it and wouldn't ask my wife to loose her name and adopt mine too seems fucked up to me

• I definitely wouldn't, it's the same for me that I'm the last guy in my family with our family name so maybe I'm old fashioned but I feel like I have to continue our family tree. I would really prefer that my wife would take my name, but if she was really passionate about keeping hers that would be fine as long as our kids got my last name.

• I have always been of the belief that if she wants to keep her name, I could care less. I am keeping mine obviously. And the kids get my name, no hyphenation.

• I think I'd consider it if she paid for the wedding and became the sole bread winner.

• I'd consider it if it was a cool name, but if she's not taking my name I think it would be cool to have a hybrid or just come up with a new one together :D

• I voted no but why not give one of your kids your last name? I dont want to give up my last name and i dont expect my future wife to do so either. But you can always give your children either one of your last names. It isn't the dark ages anymore where children always carry their dads last name.

• Yeah, I wouldn't mind. I've never given much importance to my last name.

• Yes but only if her family name would not survive unless I did. Otherwise my family would tease me too much but I can handle it.

• Nope it's never going to happen.

• I won't get married again, but if I suffered serious brain trauma and changed my mind, it's my name or the highway.

• in todays age, i could come to an agreement to just keep our own names... or

both add each others last names after our own in addition

• If I really liked her last name, then maybe I would consider taking my wife's last name. Most likely no. Though I would be happier if she just keep her last name and I kept mine because I would feel like we're still our individual selves.

• Personally I think the whole name taking thing is an over-rated tradition. One that I really don't care about. So, I'd have no problem with her keeping her last name, and if for some reason it was that important to her, yes, I'd take her name.

• However there's absolutely no way I'd hyphenate. That's even dumber than the tradition.

• I'd consider it. I don't mind

• What ever the price for love

• I'd prefer that we both just hypnenate

• No...

• Sure, if it is shorter and easier to remember.

• Lmao hell nah, my last name way too dope

• I actually plan on both of us taking a new name formed from letters or syllables from our old names.

• If she doesn't take mine, the wedding is off.

• More from Guys
    27

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more