How did your parents meet?

Today is my parents' 34th wedding anniversary!

They met on some kind of retreat in high school. It was some kind of deal where the nerds and the jocks were supposed to become friends or something like that. Of everyone who went on it, they were the only two who kept in contact with each other. They became boyfriend and girlfriend a few weeks before graduation. My dad was originally planning to join the Air Force, but he decided at the last minute to go to college so he could be with my mom.

Five years later, they got married and have stuck by each other ever since.

How did your parents first meet?

Most Helpful Girl

• Happy anniversary!

My dad had a girlfriend who was friends with my mom's sister and went to a birthday party from my mom's sister and she was complaining back then that her sister was late with the cake and would've probably ruined it.
    So she came late and the cake really was ruined and so they got into a conversation. He offered her to fix her TV since it was broken.
    I don't really know the rest, but I do know after a month or so they met, my dad asked my mom to marry him over the freaking phone. She said no but later they still got married lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• Mh parents grew up in a small town. They've knew each other since Kindergarten. They will be married 40 years in October.

What Girls Said 36

• ah, congrats to your folks! may they have many more happy years together :)

my biological parents divorced when i was little. because my mom had stayed home with my sister and i, she now needed a job to support the 3 of us... so she joined a computer class, and that's where she met the man who would become my (step) dad.

from what i understand, they started off as friends and then fell in love. they dated for nearly a year before she brought him home to meet my sister and i~
    over time, we found out that he also had 2 kids from a previous marriage, and we met them at a reunion picnic hosted by everyone from the computer class. all 4 of us became fast friends, and they started coming to visit every weekend and on alternating holidays~ all 4 of us were there during Christmas festivities in 1999, when my dad proposed to my mom by saying, "so, you ready to change your name or what?"

they were married in July 2000, after 5 years together. all 4 of us kids were in the wedding party, and the whole idea was that, "it's not two people getting married, but two families"; in addition to the ring exchange between them, my parents each put rings on the other one's kids, as a way of saying, "i welcome you into my family".

their 16th anniversary is next week, and the card i sent them sums it up perfectly: they're the kind of couple who made falling in love look easy and staying in love look fun. :) <3

• Happy anniversary! It's great how they're still happy after so many years.
    My mother moved to my father's town when she was about 19 to start her university studies. She needed to take some chemistry lessons and that's how they met and fell in love. She says he was a great teacher :)

• They met golfing. My dad's friend was having an engagement celebration with his new fiance. My dad came and my mom was a friend of the fiance. My dad drove her nuts so by the 8th hole she refused to ride in the same cart as him. Apparently he stopped annoying her at some point because she gave him her number when he asked for it so...

They just celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary in May.

• Aw, happy anniversary to your parents!

I'm from a really small town so my parents kind of knew of each other in high school. However, it was later when they were in college and home for summer break, they went to the same concert and someone in my moms friend group knew my dad and formally introduced them. They started dating and got married as soon as my mom graduated from college. :)

• My dad was in Air Force. He was working overseas in Belize, which is my mother's native country. They meet in a hospital, where she worked as a nurse.

• During the Vietnam War, and they are still together 35 years later.

• Happy anniversary to your parents! :)

My parents met at a party organised by a mutual friend of theirs. Because they got along well they started to talk to each other and after some time they fell for each other.

• Happy Anniversary to them! My parents met at work. My dad is still with that same company, too.

• That's a really great and sweet story. My parents met in their mid 20's at a job after college.

• They were set up by my dads sister who realised my mum was a great catch (pretty, smart, sweet and independent) and wanted her baby brother to be happy.

• school, hated each other. met when they were olderandwiser then fell in love.

• HA! That's awesome. What changed? And why did they hate each other? My dad's parents were next-door neighbors growing up. Apparently they didn't like each other too much at first, but then some-crazy-how, they fell in love, got married, and raised seven children together.

• my dad was a teachers pet, my mom was chatty and he always shushed her in class which pissed my mom off. they met again when they were 29 and then got married when they were 30.

• That's so sweet. I think my parents met in a night club with friends and mum said tainted love was the song that was playing when they met.

• Almost 32 years ago doing speed dating. Their 32nd anniversary is in August.

• My parents were both volunteer firefighters from different halls. They met on a call.

• They actually met online. Started dating two years later.

• My mother was at a party with a date, who introduced her to his friend, my father.

• They met on a tram apparently. He approached her.

• That's how my mom's parents met. Grandpa was sitting behind Grandma and her sister. My great aunt was wearing a feathered hat. It was dangling in front of Grandpa, so he started playing with it to entertain himself. They both turned around like "excuse me?"

Grandpa died in 2002 and Grandma in 2013. She kept his ashes in the front room at her house. She died ten days before what would have been their 64th anniversary. Their ashes were buried together on their 64th, though :-)

• Aww at least it worked out for your grandparents :) Such a cute story.

• He worked at UPS and she was a receptionist at a hotel. He was delivering a package. He had the wrong hotel so he took it to the right hotel then came back to my moms hotel to get her number lol

• Well they don't remember lol
    My parents' families were very good friends. So my Mom and Dad kind of grew up together lol.
    My dad's parents thought that my mom would be a good match for their son so they spoke to mom's parents.
    They set up a meeting. Not really a date but arranged marriage kinda meeting for my Mom and Dad.
    They went on date 3 times after that.
    Rest, ladies and gentlemen is the history.

• They met because their families had a friend in common.
    They met, fell in love, had children, and eventually got divorced 20 years later lol.

• At a restaurant my mom worked at.

• On a blind date but honestly they should have been divorced long ago.

• My parents met through friends and knew each other for about 2 months before getting married 😂 (Crazy story). They just celebrated their 25th anniversary on Sunday.

• My mom was my uncle's friend and then my dad got to know her and fell in love with her.

• at a church dinner

• arranged marriage

• In the sperm bank. I didn't grow up with a father, mother never dated nor married anyone.

• Good old fashioned arranged marriage. Lol

• I don't know how they met

• Arranged marriage between 3 brothers married 3 sisters

• More from Girls
    6

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 10

• Come to think of it, I don't know, i never asked... never saw the interest when i was little, and when i discovered girls, dating, marriage, etc... i was too busy doing my own shit to care...

Happy anniversary to your parents though, i don't even know when my parents' anniversary is lol...

• In high school. My dad played football with two of my mom's brothers, and her father would frequently invite the players over to their house, so they spoke to each other quite often.
    An even better story is how my dad proposed. He was in the Marine Core in South Carolina, and he went to a phone booth and called my mom, and said, "Hey, want to get married when I come home?" and they did. Their 31st anniversary is in September.

• They met Dancing. My dad was a stud lol

• They were both studying Art History at the same university, got their masters together.

• In the army

• My dad gave my mom a ride... as simple as that :)

• in school, they are still together.

• a mutual friend introduced them

• Mine met at church.

• My dad's best friend's sister is my mom. So that's how they met.