Is life over after marriage for a south Asian bride?

I'm south Asian and am 19 rn. I'm gonna be getting married in a couple of years, probably at 24-25. The thing is that I'm scared of life after marriage. I think of it as only being cooking, cleaning, taking care of my husband, and nothing else. Nothing fun or anything. My fiance is Pakistani and so am I but i grew up in a western country and have a very modern and western mentality. Its as though after marriage, life of misery and boredom and problems starts. Are any of you married to a south Asian? How is your life? Even if you aren't, but are still married, what do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Marry a westerner

• Can't, can't even think about doing that unfortunately

• Lol I live in the US

• Then I definitely don't understand. This country has laws. Run away. You've got all kinds of options. American women are fiercely independent and proud of it and won't go for this arranged marriage bullshit

Most Helpful Girl

• GAG is really not the place for this

but, why dont you wait for a good western guy?
    i personally hate guys from my country (proud of my nationality but hate guys here) because of their mentality and how they act (some of them at least) and i want to marry a foreigner because in my heart i feel like itll be better and ill be happier

I don't know about the rules of your family but if you can... maybe you can consider a western guy too or a modern asian/pakistani guy... you exist, a male version should exist somewhere too right ? lol

anyways you're 19and getting married at like 24... there is sti plenty of time to think this through
    or talk to your fiancee maybe he has a "western mentality" too

What Guys Said 2

• Why worry about something which is going to happy after years? Enjoy the moment and about getting married to a pakistani doesn't mean your life will be all about cooking food for the family and looking after your in-laws. It really depends who you marry. There are a lot of pakistani families who are liberal and modern. It just depends who you get hooked with. But... dont over think it, its not worth it.

• Why get married why not marry a American boy

• Can't do that unfortunately, against my culture and family

• Yeah

• Do u like ur family do u want them in ur life if not fuck them and get your own because right now ur a slave

What Girls Said 2

• lol no.
    I know I see them doing that bt that's because they don't discuss things before marriage.
    The girl just goes and cry , instead of taking part in her marriage.

If you know what you want to do after marriage, you make it clear to the groom.

• just don't get married lmao

• Don't have that option

• Ah shit, I hate talking about shit like this out in the open. Ok well, I can relate to your situation because getting married is a big deal in our culture and well by extension, my family as well. I've told my parents I don't want to ever get married but they don't believe me and they think I'm delusional lmao.
      Look, I assume you live in America reading your comments so you have the freedom and the option to do what you want with your own life. You live in a country where independence and individuality is valued so take advantage of it. You don't want to get married? That's completely fine, who cares what your parents say in that regards? That's a decision you should be making for yourself. They can't force you to do anything.

• That's the same with my parents. Marriage to me with a paki guy seems like sabotoging yourself