What do you do for your wife when she's sad?

My wife has been feeling sad and has been in a bad mood all day. She started feeling this way last night. I tried asking her what was wrong she didn't say anything. I took her and the kids to the movies tonight she started feeling better. But now that we're home she's feeling sad again. We're in bed now she's laying on me she said she feels like she's gonna cry again. She's not pregnant or having her period. What's wrong with her? How can I comfort her?

Most Helpful Girl

• i think the best you can do is show care

like hold her, when she lays on you kiss her head or something or stroke her hair (w/e she finds sweet), hug her, surprise her with breakfast in bed for no reason, get her something sweet (maybe if she saw something somwhere and it caught her attention?) , get her chocolates or flowers or love letters/notes (w/e she likes), date night... etc

just stuff that show you care, you can even simply say "what can i do to make you happy today?" and do w/e she asks (she might test you though to see if you mean it lol or she might ask for a hug or something) to her first thin in the morning when you two wake up (or when you do that breakfast thing)

and the movies seemed to make her feel better, can you drop your kids somwhere for a couple of days and just take her out often and when you're in the house do something fun together? video games, cooking... etc

and there has to be some reason for it, maybe her period is close but not there yet, maybe she is not ready to share, maybe a rough memory from the past... etc
    just dont pressure her... and like i said i think she just wants affection rn

ps" im happy to see husbands who still care like that about their wives ^_^

Most Helpful Guy

• I find a combination of cuddling and being really gentle and then some tough love with teasing and humor to diffuse the situation works for me.

That said, my wife isn't so sensitive. With a more sensitive type, the attempt at humor and teasing her about it could backfire.

And last but not least, sometimes getting aggressive and having sex with them can help her feel better. There's usually a bit of resistance at first, like "What are you doing?" but if I proceed and she gets into it, after that she's pretty happy for the rest of the day/night.

• The sex part might seem odd and inappropriate in this situation but I've really found, on occasion, that a depressed wife can suddenly be made into a cheerful wife that's excited and kissing you through intercourse. How that works is beyond me.

• @Red7336 Yeah -- so far I haven't missed the timing. Some of the stuff I suggest here is rather risky (including humorously teasing her about being so sensitive, e. g.) -- probably should post a disclaimer.

• well you posted a disclaimer about the first point lol so yea

and well she IS your wife youd know her best lol hopefully you never get it wrong ever

What Girls Said 5

• Awe, I'm sorry your wife is feeling down. I hope she starts to feel better soon!

Sounds like you know how to take good care of her though! I think a trip to the movies was a great idea. Maybe plan some more fun family activities.

Try having a talk with her again, hopefully you can find out what she is upset about.

To comfort her, be kind. Try to help her out where you can. Ask her if there is anything you can help her with or do for her.

• I would say just be there for her. When she's ready to talk, she will. Just hug her and hold her. Sometimes that's all we need.

• So this week you have a wife and kids instead of a boyfriend with a 110 degree fever?

• Just hold her and kiss her on her forehead. She'll let you know when she's ready. Just be there.

• Ask her what's going on? Dude why are you on GaG like wtf

What Guys Said 1

• If she doesn't wanna say it, just hold her and let her cry. Tell her that whenever she's ready, she can tell you what's wrong.
    But right now, just let her rest, and be there for her.