What do you think marriage should be based on?

• Best Friends Forever Friendship
  • Romantic Love
  • Sexual Satisfaction
  • SES Compatibility
  • Parental Consent
  • Spiritual Compatibility

Most Helpful Guy

• We can get best friends forever from our close friends friends. I would need a BFF from someone other than my partner. Being friends with your partner goes hand in hand with the relationship. But I need someone to vent to about my problems other than the person I'd see on an almost everyday situation

Most Helpful Girl

• Love is going to die eventually, or you will lose the excitement after 1.5 year as studies have shown. So I rather have someone who is my best friend, who is with me in bad times and good times, whom I can trust, who shows me a lot of respect, and who I think is a good candidate of being a dad. So i want my marriage based on BFF.

• I like your realistic thinking best. :)

What Guys Said 18

• Short of being based on God, I would say based on sacrificial (or agape), unselfish love- God's love- which puts the other person above oneself, to give without expectation of receiving in return. This unselfish love is the only thing which can allow two people to truly be one, or for a marriage to last a lifetime and truly be what God intended it to be.

• What ever you WANT it to be, that is if you WANT to marry in the first place. It's never going to be the same for everyone.

• A little bit of each. It seems that they fall apart when they are built too much on one at the expense of others.

• Love, trust, commitment, and other good stuff.

• It should be based on the ability of each prospective partner to catch a dozen pixie faeries. If they don't EACH catch the faeries, no marriage.

• What is SES compatibility?

• Unwavering volition to love your partner.

Extra info:
    And most people in this world do not have the capacity for this.

• Best friendship and love

• A&B both

• Money.

• Romantic love, but no, it's hard to make things work. Women are much harder to impress than before.

• Gee, your pollsters get it, why not you?

• I think C and F. In this planet, C is more important though. If there's no sexual satisfaction, expect a marital warfare for the rest of your life.

• Wow! from the poll you can see why there are a lot of stupid kids out there.

• Romantic love? isn't that obvious?

• Best friends forever friendship turned into romance.
    Both friendship and romance are essential. I can't imagine living for a day with someone without these two things between us.

• Hmm, no wonder the state of marriage is what it is.

I'm not sure if GAGers chose the answer they did because of youthful whimsy, inexperience, or dedicated self deception. Maybe all three.

• Similar goals, sexual compatibility, parenting compatibility, enjoying each other's company, mutual respect.

What Girls Said 10

• The three most important things BY FAR are
    • Shared values with which to raise children together,
    • Mutual and unconditional support -- both emotionally and logistically,
    and
    • Sexual compatibility.

These are not necessarily in order; they're just the top three. It's weird that you don't have the first two listed here at all -- even though (a) you theoretically had one more poll option available, and (b) you have frivolous things like "SES compatibility" listed instead.

These are the top three because EVERYTHING ELSE can be gotten from one's friends, family, and/or professional contacts. Those three things up there ^^ are THE things for which we depend upon our spouses.

• I'm in this boat.

• Not a fan of unconditional anything between adults. Remove that word, and this is what I would say.

• Romantic love that turns out to be best shirt

• Friendship, love, and sex.

• Love, respect, and trust.

• All of the above.

• Both A and B

• Romantic love only.

• Best friends forever would be my favorite. With lots of love as well.

• Best Friends Forever Friendship and Romantic Love

• ... and people wonder why there are so many divorces nowadays.