I want to get married but don't want a wedding. Does anyone feel the same?

Most Helpful Girl

• I had Married a Man out in Egypt a few years Back and it was a Fantasy for Me... No wedding, Not Necessary.
    Who says you have to Spend a Fortune to Make your own 'Fantasy' come true?
    Good luck. xx

Shokran for the Vote of Confidence, and Good luck again, @Mangolover. xx

What Guys Said 16

• i've always been open to the idea. but at least with a wedding you get tons of gifts. i know people that essentially got enough money to put a down payment on a house or if they owned a house got enough gifts to essentially stock up their house with appliances and what not

what don't you want a wedding?
    (just curious)

• My friends and family will be very dissapointed if I don't have a wedding. I just don't like receiving gifts. I will probably name my favoirite charity and have them spend money towards that if I end up having a wedding. I also don't like being the center of attention. I have a small circle of close friends and a few family member who I actually like or get along with.

• i understand your point entirely. i don't like being the center of attention either. on my wedding day so much was going on that i didn't even have time to feel self-conscious about being the center of attention

you could also just do small wedding, as my wife and i did. it was just close friends and family (and a few extra people we sort of felt obligated to invite)

for me it was fun just to have a big party my friends could have fun at... and to be honest the fact that it was my wedding almost became an after thought to just fun night

• i also had friends who had a civil ceremony at a courthouse (so a judge and their parents and siblings) and then they just had a large-ish party one night that was like a reception but without all the fancy dress. just food, music, dancing, and fun... maybe something you could consider.

• Na, not really. But I do think that you save more money towards the more important things such as buying a new house or condo to move into, a new car for the family, or even towards retirement and for your children, and even various unexpected emergencies, medical or otherwise.

Weddings can get really expensive sometimes. But if had you skipped it, then whatever you would have normally spent on a wedding can go towards every thing else that is much more important and other priorities.

• We had a drink with friends and family, then went to town hall for the marriage and after that to a good restaurant all together. No church.

• I'm kind of the same. A nice and personal ceremony somewhere maybe but nothing grand. Marriage after all is supposed to be between husband and wife - not husband, wife and 200 other people.

• Lots of people feel that way I think, especially guys. Weddings are primarily for women anyway (it's all about the bride).

• Yes, I did. I just got remarried, no wedding, just four people and a judge. Then we gave a party a few weeks later.

• I'm sure there are.
    I don't want to be married 'by the book'

• I've seen people spend 40-50k+ on those ceremonies. And it's not like they were rich either... essentially just doubled their student debt. Absolute insanity!

• Yes. Weddings are very fun, so long as it isn't yours, in my opinion.

• Same here I hate weddings

• no wedding for me although I dont have a problem with being with a female for the rest of my life as long as she doesn't nag me

• Sometimes, because i feel i will have to call needless people..

• Ok let's go for court marriage or simply elope. 😀

• Maybe I am too :D

• The same feeling here

• 0|0

What Girls Said 14

• If you have a wedding (that your parents pay for) you're more likely to start off better financially. Your guests will buy things for you off your registry and then you won't have to buy them yourself lol

But yeah, wedding ceremonies are probably hassles. I have to plan one now and I did not know there was so much stuff to consider haha

• Are you getting married? Congratz!!! I don't like receiving gifts. A gift registry comes off more as 'these are suggestions as to things we need if you so choose to give a gift' whereas a 'FundMe' account comes off more as 'This is what I want and it's the only acceptable gift'. I would rather my guests make a small donation to a charity of my choice like the cancer research center.

• We got married last year, largish wedding. I wanted small 50 - 75 guests, church wedding, cake, refreshments and a little dancing. What it ended up was nearly 300 guests, cake, horderves, toasting, dancing, Dad & daughter dance... All sorts of silliness I didn't want, but my Mom and his Mom wanted. My Dad asked me if we just wanted to elope and he'd pay for everything and give us the cash, sounded good too! In the end we put up with a lot of stuff neither of us really wanted to keep Mom's happy. We figured they only get to see us married once.

The big bloated wedding just made things complicated in so many ways, I loveour Mom's so I went along with it all, it was both fun and stressful! Too Barbie for even me!! I loved sharing our wedding with everyone though, just wish sharing with so many people wasn't so complicated!!

I guess if we could have got away with it, we'd have eloped!! = ]

• I'm sort of the opposite lol. I want to have a celebration of our love and commitment with friends and family, and a ritual that symbolically binds us together, but the actual marriage license/piece of paper is less important to me. My boyfriend's all for both though, and I'm good with that.

• My friends and family will be very disappointed if I don't have a wedding. But I hate receiving gifts and being the center of attention lol.

• That's actually a great idea!!! I haven't even thought of that. My neighbor's son died from stage 4 neuroblastoma so in his memory I will tell all the guests to make a small donation to Children's wish foundation.

• Yes, it's what a friend of mine did. Sounds like a plan! :)

• It's okay. Just have your best man and woman, a few people you want as witnesses and get your papers if you're that serious about a person you want to marry, and who agrees with your standards. You can always have a wedding ceremony later inext life.

• That happens more and more. Many people only give a small drink just among true friends and have a dinner with the close family and thats it.

• I don't really want a wedding either. At least not the stereotypical big wedding.

• @uskudarist20 here's your dream girl :P

• yes😂 @Mangolover i talked with dania about getting married and i told her that i wouldn't want a wedding and she said that there are almost no girl who wouldn't want a wedding. here you are!

• you know im right ; )

• @uskudarist20 now I do :P

• I'm like 50/50 sometimes I want to have this big traditional wedding then other times I'm like just go foreign be married or just go court house.

• I do. I want a marriage but I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on one day where instead I could travel with my husband or buy something we need.

• I'm undecided on marriage, but yes I do not want a wedding. If I got a boyfriend and we decided we wanted to get married, then I'd rather just go to the court house.

• I want a small wedding (like 10 guests small) just to celebrate those who have contributed to the relationship and mean a lot to my husband and I as well as just celebrating that we're married lol

• Weddings are sooo expensive. I don't want a wedding either.

• I got married without a wedding. I've always wanted a wedding. Itll just feel special to have a wedding.