Would say someone who's 19, is too young for marriage?

Let's say someone who's 19 is looking to get married. They have pretty decent job but is still studying. They're quite mature and have their mind set straight. In your opinion is this person too young for marriage?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe so
  • Results
3mo Just to clear it up. My cousin is 18 and she is engaged to a man who's 19. They plan on getting married and everyone gave them some shit for it. I personally thought there was nothing wrong with the idea and was just wondering how others thought about it.

Most Helpful Girl

• No! The legal age of marriage is 18, so absolutely not. You have the choice to get marriage at anytime you want if you personally feel that it is the right time. Because with you marry at 18,19 or any age, MARRIAGE IS HARD! It doesn't matter. And people in their 30s,40s and 50s are learning that the hard way. If I found somebody that would have wanted to get married at that age, I would have. Because its time to start doing life, not waste your time with people who want to remain stagnate because they want to still party hardy, have sex with multiple people, get married, still miserable and don't know what they want, then divorce because they can't take it anymore. Just start doing the right things in life and you will attract somebody who wants to share that same vision and future with you.

@Asker You just let those imbeciles know that it doesn't matter at what age you marry: Marriage is still Marriage and Marriage is Hard at any age. If your not fit for marriage, your best to stay out of it. As long as your cousin believes that this is the right choice, she serious about it, is aware of the consequences of getting married [not marrying young], or divorce, and she isn't selfish, she'll be ok. People needs to stop with this crap. There the same ones whose still miserable in their relationships and marriages, and get divorce when their not happy. Too many hypocrites!

they're*

Completely agree.

Most Helpful Guy

• Divorce is higher among younger people. But even though many studies find it drops as they get older, other studies show that in later life it goes up. I don't know if there is a reliable rate for this topic. But you did state that the person is mature. That makes a big difference. If they are mature and think things through, and are the type to be fathful and committed, then they are most likely going to stay married.

What Girls Said 17

• Well if you think you are ready to get married and will be able to build a family with the person you have chosen (and she agrees) go for it. But I will tell you that because you're at a young age, the marriage could possibly fall out in the future because we change frequently and in the future you might see some other potential partners. Tbh I got engaged to my ex, due to his family pressure and well worst decision on agreeing to it for me, now a year after the engagement I broke up with him since he cheated on me.. But spreads rumours that apparently I cheated on him and he doesn't know why I broke up with him.. So as someone that's experienced this thing, I'd tell you to wait more

• Yes, too young. At 19, people are still developing. Humans are fully developed at around 25. So you can bet your ass that you'll be a pretty different person when you're 25, compared to when you were 19. And not only because your body has gone through plenty of physical changes, but also because you have more experience under your belt at that point. There's no point in committing to someone for life when you'll be, more or less, a completely different person within just a few years.
    Teen marriages are more likely to fail than marriages between older people. Teens simply aren't mature enough to make such drastic and life-changing decisions, they don't know what they're getting themselves into. They're naive and impulsive. They think it's cute and just another way of being romantic with each other, without realizing the severity of the situation.
    I'm only 21 but I would say I'm a completely different person than I was when I was 18. Yes, some core things about me are the same, but I've developed so much in just 3 years. And I can't imagine how much I'll develop in the next 4-5 years too.
    It's scary that people don't even realize what they're getting themselves into. It's supposed to be a life-long commitment. Not something you do on a whim when you're basically still a kid because it "feels right" and you just "love your bae so much".

• Everyone says too young without even thinking of love. If you really are in love and you really are and you again really are then it's not.

So basically, too young but love makes it right?

If it's true love then yes. I know five couples who got married at ages 17-19 and they're all still together from anywhere from 10-60 years. So if true love happens then maybe it is right.

• Lol are you planning on getting married at 19 or something?

• I would Not say a thing Unless I knew that the person they were Marrying... Was Not the Right Thing. Even then, I would be Diplomatic about it though.
    The More people Give them Slack, the More they will be Shopping.
    Good luck to the 18 and Over. xx

• Hmm most of the time, yes, but then I'm one of the people who only really think marriage is a good idea if you are financially stable and have your career sorted, which is near to impossible at the age of 19. I also think you should have been with your partner for a considerable amount of time before evenc considering marriage in the first place which is also rather unlikely for a 19 year old unless they started dating that person in all seriousness at 13/14.

So 5 years together, then marriage?

Yeah, obviously it depends on your "feelings" more than time but I just had a friend rush into marriage after she dated the guy for 6 months and she's already considering getting a divorce again so I'd say better be safe than sorry and if you know it's the right one and that feeling is indeed mutual, I'm sure they won't have a problem with waiting with marriage for a couple of years to get used to each other and living together first.

• I was 17 when I got married, with mother's permission.

• My brother is 17 and he wants to get married but he says he's aware he'd have to get a job first once he's done with uni lol xD I don't know, I think by nowadays standards it's very young but why not?

Does he plan on studying with his wife in uni? My cousin thinks it's "so cute" that he brought it up as a benefit.

• No he's too young
    A teen doesn't have a clear definition of marriage

• I feel like if I got married at 19, it'd most certainly end in divorce.
    I don't want to get married until my late 20's, at least!

• No. It's not too young.
    My mom got married at 19. And I've known some other people who got married young.
    Why not start your life together early?

• Too young for kids. Probably a bit young for marriage but everyone's different.

• I don't think it's too young

• 100 percent

• Yes, way too young. I'm 20, and I feel so immature for marriage still.

• Of course!!! mentally they will NOT be ready.

• In some cultures, its good to marry at that age. But then the American culture thinks its young. I personally think its a bit young to marry at that age, but if they agree to it then its their choice, i have nothing against it. I am married at 19 myself lol, and i kind of regret it because i couldve been doing things for myself first, enjoying my youthful years, seeking opportunities and such before settling down.

What Guys Said 18

• No. Marriage is less about age and more about maturity. My parents married the moment they reached 18 back in 1998 and they are still married today. On the other hand, I know a lot of "career" driven Baby-Boomers who waited until they were almost 30 to marry and now they are all divorcing en masse as they reach their 50s.

Dood you in my head or somethin?

Age and maturity tend to go pretty much hand in hand in most cases though.

• i think they should wait, simply because there is no need to rush. but i do know people who married at 19 who are thriving in their relationships now so i wouldn't say a marriage at 19 can't work

• Well legally he is an adult and so they can get married if they want to. However financially speaking that person may not be independent, secure yet and so in those terms it would be a bit early to get married.

• Because no a mint of maritime beats experience. If you think you'll never want to break up, why not just wait anyway? Not particular advantages in getting married earlier- just give the relationship less time to develop

• Your job has to be above decent. If you're going to get married, it's some serious shit. It's not like (Oops, let's start all over.) If you fuck up, you're fucked. You really have to be mature and have your priorities straight.

And as a student, you need to focus on you're studying to get that above decent job. So you can't have both. You need to focus on your studies and school before even thing of marrying.

• 2/3rds of marriage end in divorce. Finances are the #1 reason followed by Infidelity (cheating).

You have developed into a young adult at this stage of your life, but there are still a lot of immaturity you will have to learn to grow from.

Not having a true "career" vs a J. O. B. will only create hardships in the relationship.

I don't know if you have enough life experiences in terms of how you'll handle jealously (flirty guy friend/co-worker or guy who's in class with your wife for examples), loss of freedom/regret of missing out, job relocation, financially providing for a child or a mortage, sick and ageing parents and the inlaws.

It may be possible you will have regrets of not knowing what it was like to date a little more or to travel explore that hobby or sport you were really good at.

You may end up being the 1/3 that does make it, but your odds are significantly worse at your age. I think most people use that first marriage as a learning experience when it should have just been a regular relationship and break up.

If you feel you have to get married you need to ask yourself why? There are no insurance benefits or 401K that you need to be concerned about unless your have a large asset you are concerned about her inheriting. What is the motivation other than love? Marriage is more than love, it's about compromise and commitment, forgiveness and forgetting. It's learning how to be unselfish. That's a big part of becoming an adult, not legal age of 18 adult, but an actual functional adult (When you have more people relying on you than you rely on). Be ready to give up a lot of your freedom and be ready not to regret it. When you are there you will know it.

Good Luck!

• LOL!

Second dumbest mistake a person could make. (The first dumbest is getting pregnant without being married).

The divorce rates for those who marry at 21 or under is extremely high. The reason is because people, women especially, change who they are as they mature from a teenager into an adult. After she is past 25, she starts to stabilize, which is why marriages of 27+ work out the best statistically speaking.

Not true. Its actually the other way around. The statistics is all messed up. It's really the ones who married 27+ in 2nd marriages who often regretted it. Not younger. That is what you are talking about. People mature by choice, not by age. Because there plenty of people who are just not happy with themselves no matter how old they get. They see somebody they want to have sex with, they'll cheat even when married, then divorce so that they can marry who their cheated with. And the divorce rates for those said people increases with each marriage: 2nd marriage, 3rd marriage, 4th marriage, etc.

And the divorce rate increases depending on wither or not you were a virgin when married:

www.yahoo.com/.../...s-divorce-risk-144722762.html
      www.huffingtonpost.com/.../...young_n_4227924.html

@btbc92
      Do you know WHY they are in 2nd marriages by that time? Because their first one that they married when they were young failed. By then, they have kids, making them less desirable to many.

@WalterRadio Yes being young is not the lroblem. It's people's mindset and immaturity besides selfishness. They can't learn to let go of themselves and wants. That is why it failed. Not because of marrying at suchome a young age. They can't deal with change in a marriage, because they have been taught wrong about it. They think marriage is about happiness and that is far from the truth. If you can't learn to be happy own your on BEFORE you get married your going to take that same problem and baggage in your marriage. I know. Because there are people who in their 30s,40s and 50s and the are never satisfied. People are blinded by that because they were too busy having sex before marriage they never saw it. The sex was too important to then. Then when they're sex life gets worse and their not pleased with their spouse sexually they'll find somebody else. Meanwhile all before they were supposedly sexually compatible. That's why I don't believe in that sexual compatability crap.

• Probably. But people need to worry less about what should be and just do what feels right and makes them happy

• Too young.

• Lets put it this way most marriages that end up in divorces were from girls who married in their early teens so there is your answer.

• You're old enough by law... As you get older you'll see more things then you did when you were younger though. I don't think it's wise to get married at 19, but it's your life.

• To each their own.

If someone has fallen in love at 19 and are confident in their choice and want to commit then the two should go for it!

• Anything under 1500 is too young for a man to get married.

• My parents were 16 when they got married and they are still together and strong, so no.

• Nope

• They can do whatever they want. İts their choice.

• i clicked maybe but its more like "probably", you have your whole life ahead of you

• ye it is