Tiffany Engagement Ring or Bigger Diamond?

I am debating between getting a Classic Tiffany Solitaire engagement ring for my girlfriend or for the same money picking out and buying a much larger loose diamond and having it set in a James Allen ring (Same people who are selling the loose diamond). About Her: She is not very materialistic is conservative in her dress and has a sweet and calm personality. She would never ask for something this nice, but she deserves the best. She is classy and I think most girls can relate to the brand Tiffany and Co. Inevitably girls at the office or anywhere else for that matter are going to ask about the ring! I know she would be happy with a ring from Costco if that's what I got her, but I want her to have a ring she can dote on, still wear when even when our finances are better in 20 years, and possibly pass on to our children. Which would be better? A. Smaller (Near) Perfect Diamond with Tiffany Prestige? or B. More Carats with much less Brand awareness, and an Imperfect (barely noticeable) Diamond color

• "5.7MM diameter 0.68 Carat Tiffany & Co. GIA Certified, Color: F (Pure Colorless), Clarity: VVS2, Cut Excellent (Triple Excellent)" Tiffany Classic Platinum Setting - $4700
  • "6.53MM diameter 1.09 Carat GIA, Certified Color: K (Yellow color is subtly visible), Clarity: VVS2, Cut Excellent (Triple Excellent) Loose Diamond set in James Allen platinum setting" -$4640

Most Helpful Girl

• "She is not very materialistic is conservative in her dress and has a sweet and calm personality."
    Then go with whatever is the least flashy and expensive.

Most Helpful Guy

• if she isn't materialistic don't bother with the tiffany. get the better diamond... also consider carat size isn't often the most important feature. consider clarity and cut heavily. also consider looking at white gold as it can be half the price of platinum and you can put more into the diamond. ... just considerations

What Girls Said 3

• I think tiffanys is out of fashion; pick a ring that you feel a connection to and want to see on your wifes hand

• Get the Tiffany one. The size is not that big a difference, nor is the price, and personally I'd rather have one from there as opposed to Costco. That's just me though, and I'm sure the one from Costco is great quality as well.

Just to clarify the other ring is not actually from Costco I was just using them as an example. She probably would care a little XD.

Diameter wise the two are close that's why I posted that number.

Is is normal to say my diamond is 2/3 carats vs the magic 1 carat number?

• Does she care about brand names? If no go for bigger she will love that more. plus engament ring should always be at least 1 karat or so they say

What Guys Said 3

• Don't get a K color diamond.

Either go with the Tiffany one, or get a better color on the loose diamond.

Thanks, I haven't been able to see the diamond in person so I can't tell. I can probably still 3/4 Carat or bigger with a better color on the loose diamond. I may need to edit the poll.

To expand on this a little, the color of the platinum would really make the yellow noticeable. A high quality smaller diamond is MUCH better than a larger crappy diamond. Between the two I'd say go with the Tiffany. But also look around at jewelry wholesalers. The markup on new jewelry is absolutely astonishing.

I wouldn't be opposed to going with a gold setting or going up a color grade. The cut is amazing on the diamond in question with very limited inclusions. My thinking is that color is mostly only noticeable on a side view which the setting mostly covers. I had also considered a diamond with florescence to help "whiten" the yellow.

These features allow me to break that magic 1 carat threshold on my budget, and unless someone is looking at the GIA report or specifically asking about the diamond's pedigree I don't think they will ever know it's a K (which they never will) I live in Texas they're going to focus on the size.

I don't think she'll mind since it will give the diamond some character.

These are just thoughts I'm open to hear more

• $4700? That's a lot of beer.

• 6.53MM diameter 1.09 Carat GIA, Certified Color: K (Yellow color is subtly visible), Clarity: VVS2, Cut Excellent (Triple Excellent) Loose Diamond set in James Allen platinum setting" -$4640