Christian MARRYING a Muslim?

So I've been put in a case so so hard, my partner is muslim and I am christian. He recently asked me to marry him, the 1st time I couldn't answer, the second time I told him I would but not really understanding what I was signing up to. I recently found out in the new testament in the bible it says christian should only marry a christian. As the marriage would be deemed unequal. I know muslim men can marry muslims, jews or christians but its not that easy for the woman. So what do I do? I love this man completely and have made it known that I won't be changing religions for him. But my family are also concerned about when I have kids they'll probably be raised muslim. I'm scared and confused because marrying him will be like rebelling against my own religion but I love him and want a future with him. I've tried to speak to him about this but he's not listening or hasn't got time to talk about it. He thinks its so simple to just get married. How do we even get married? Because if we do he'll be expecting us to marry in a year or so. Any advice about whether I should marry him or not? Opinions?

Most Helpful Guy

• You must seek god's wisdom and counsel on this if I am being honest I do this with all my relationships with every woman I've been with almost. I pray and I ask God for his wisdom and counsel whether I should be with this woman or not or take this path.

I believe that is what you must do as well if your relationship pleases God and he is at the center of it, and he feels it is the right path for you. Then he will open the doors to make it happen among other things. But if this is not the path that God wants you to go on he will let you know.

In addition to that you also need to talk to him, like he needs to make time for you and listen to what you have to say you need to clarify things like whether he'll force the kids to be Muslim or whether or not they'll have the choice to choose. Stuff like that needs to be made clear beforehand.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not entirely true. The Bible does not state such a thing. It states in 1 Corinthians 7 that if the unbeliever choses to depart from you [leave/divorce], then you are not at liberty to stop. The 2ND time you make a decision to marry, then that person must also be a believer. What your talking about is when Paul found out from Chloe that the churches in Corinth is in sin. That verse that your talking about as far as unequally yoke has toe do with MINDSET not religion. Read the full chapter of 1 Corinthians 6, not just the verse itself. They talking about bring idols of pecan worship in the church building NOT about marriage. There isn't a lot of scriptures talking about marriage. Don't let that full you.

A person can be a Christian and ALSO be unequally yoked with you. If you two have different beliefs, different morals, different standards, different wants and needs. You are NOT compatible. Especially when one is of the world and the other is spiritual. However your family does have a point. But what you need to do as a Christian is see and ask God IF this relationship pleases him, and wither or not you should marry him. If God has not been in the center of your relationship regardless to who your with, you'll be in trouble. You need to ask him what does he expect to be in this union, what will become of the kids? Are they at liberty to choose? Because if you believe that believing in Christ is a religion. Then that means that you need to serious ask yourself what a Christian really means and wither or not you have a relationship with God or not. Because the belief in God and Christ is not a religion, but a relationship. Christianity in general when there is not relationship with God but just worshiping him is. So that is my opinion. It can work. But God has the final say. If its a no, then its a no.

@Asker Overall asker it is your choice of whither or not you both want to go through with this. There is consequences and complications in marrying someone who is of a different belief system. Not that it can't work, but isn't for everybody and shouldn't be encouraged. However if you both are mature enough to handle marriage, and a union with a complete opposite person, then it is your choice. Just don't think about it short term, think of long term consequences, and wither or not you both are going to be responsible for them. Because you children will be effected by this choice. Best Regards. Hopes this helps.

And sorry for the spelling and typo mistakes. I'm having problems with my computer.

What Guys Said 16

• "he's not listening or hasn't got time to talk about it." You're his betrothed. He's supposed to find time to help you with things that bother you. Especially when this concerns marriage and therefore him too. It's obviously not simple to marry so he's wrong not to listen to your problems. Now love is Something above religion. Given the mix of religions you might want to have an atheist marriage. They won't look for who's muslim as this would be irrelevant. People marry in city halls too. Ask there for red tape concerning marriage. Also be sure your man remembers it's one wife only or it's no marriage. Some muslims tend to forget about it. And yes, religions should be no barrier to love. But given his attitude you might want to settle things straight with him before marrying him.

• "... I told him I would but not really understanding what I was signing up to..."
    You seem immature to decide that now. Your words reveal that and you just fear to blow the relationship. Girls, please neeever marry because fear !

"... he'll be expecting us to marry in a year or so..."
    Honestly, i think he is using your fears to lock you into a marriage for his own selfish interests. (He's insisting and making the rules of the game)

Do you know him how long?
    Be honest now, do you really want to marry now

• In Islam, only muslim men are allowed to marry non muslim women because women are considered to be intellectually inferior and less competitive than men. I. e the woman is the woman who would give up her belief for her partner, thus helping islam.

Of ocurse he will raise the children muslim, he thinks it is simple because he is pretty sure of the result

• I think its weird... Religion shouldn't prevent ur happiness. According Islam it says Muslim people should marry with Muslim one. But it doesn't say its forbidden to married with others. If u do love him, weird to thinking twice. About children I think u both allow them by their choice. If they wanna raise as Christian so be it. At the end all religion's ride in same way. I'm muslim one but I know Christian people who better than my Muslim friends. So let the things happen. I dont think our God would punish u coz of u married with Muslim man

• "But my family are also concerned about when I have kids they'll probably be raised muslim."
    The father will definitely teach his religion to his children. They will more than likely follow his footsteps or at least that's what I've seen from those around me. If such an idea bothers YOU then I suggest you don't go through with it. Your family may have an opinion on the matter but the decision ultimately falls upon you and what you're comfortable with.

"How do we even get married?"
    You sign a marriage contract in front of three witnesses.

"Any advice about whether I should marry him or not?"
    Again this is your choice but if you love him and really do want to be with him, then why not? If I remember correctly the Bible States that you must marry a believer, which can be anyone who believes in God (A Muslim is a believer.)

• love > religion

• You don't need to convert if you wanna marry him
    You both can marry without converting and teach your future children about both religion

• in egypt you can ask the church a permission to marry a muslim isn't that the case
    moreover muslim marry virgin christain women who abide their books
    can i be honest
    marriage between muslim and others rarely happens and succeds
    the children will be muslim too
    besides acccording to the sharia he can t ask you or make you to convert its a great sin to do that

• At the end of the day do what feels right. If you take your time you'll eventually answer all your questions on your own. But if he's rushing you id start thinking outside the box. Dude already asked you twice

• Yet another example of why religion is fucking nuts.

• It's really your choice. And as I understand us Christians believe in the same God that Muslims and Jews believe in.

• Should you marry him? It depends on do you love him or not

Relgion will affect it? Yes see if you can manage it

How it works? Well you marry in the mosque and the church and sign the papers ( depends on the country )

• According to Islam the children MUST be raised Muslim or he is committing a sin.

• Well, no christians actually follow Christianity in this,
    But don't change your beliefs for someone , must be convinced or it'll be fake

• Religions...

*shakes head*

• Not a problem since you will have to convert to islam anyway

How do you know? I thought muslim men can marry christians or jews why do they have to convert?

@Marketinglover No ma'am. I am referring to Anonymous (30-35)

What Girls Said 6

• You know him better than anyone here so really, it's all up to you and your judgement is best.
    I know quite a few people similar to your case who got married and are still married for 35+ years without any of them getting converted to the other's religion. My father's cousin for stater got married to a french woman in the 80's and they're still married , she's still christian/agnostic and they had 6 kids.
    You have to talk about these things first before making anything official and talk about how you want to raise your kids etc... Most cases I know in which the wife didn't convert, the kids were still Muslim so if that bothers you, you should reconsider it :)

• i guess you shouldn't, even if you love him now you will regret it as soon as you get kids, you should love god even more than him. I have been in love with a muslim as well and it felt wrong to love him tbh, i don't mean by that that it's forbidden for me to love him but we won't have a future together anyway, my parents would dislike him, his parents would dislike me and our future kids are another problem, Always remember God doesn't want you to be unhappy but just wants to save you from wrong decisions. Trust me you'll only be unhappy and make things complicated. It will hurt but it's not the end of you getting married to another men where these problems would never exist.

• you have valid concerns
    you are also young, with many good years ahead
    i would listen to you head on this one
    he will insist on raising the kids muslims as it is his religious duty
    he may also insist to make raising easier, that you adopt some islamic mannerisms or that you not teach the kids your religion
    this is not uncommon in muslin-chrisitan marriages
    so i'd say, know what you're signing up for before you get in too deep
    seek guidance as well

• If you love him get married. Pretty much everything is against the Bible, this is so innocent and for love I dont think God would disapprove.

• why are you terrified of becoming muslim if you love a muslim guy ? it does not make sence.

• If you two are married, it is a lifelong thing. Not something that will only last for a year or so. A commitment to marriage is not meant to be broken. Anyways, it must be hard on you, you should find a time to talk to him about it, and see how you two can handle things. Like go out to eat and talk about it. Im a christian and my partner is buddism, he goes to church with me, and i also go to the temple with him. Just because we married, doesn't mean we have to let go of our religion or that were rebelling it. Its the same for you two. But if you feel like you have to marry a christian man to make it easier for you and your future kids, then it is your choice.