Would you go to a wedding, knowing ahead of time, that no alcohol was being served?

A debate has broken out over an upcoming wedding. Neither the bride and groom drink for their own reasons (it's not for religious reasons). As such, they've decided not to serve alcohol at their wedding that is happening in the evening. Some of both of their respective families believe that they need to think about their guests and their need/want to have a good time vs. just banning it outright because they don't drink. They've even arrgued (quite hilariously) with them that they are providing vegetarian meals for the 3 vegetarians coming vs. just telling them to eat meat with everyone else, so what's the big deal. The grooms family has even offered to pay for the drinks themselves if need be, but the bride/groom have declined.

What do you think about dry weddings?

• Yes, absolutely, you can have a good time at a wedding even without drinks
  • Nah, it's not that I don't think you can have a good time without drinks, it's just I don't want to
  • Nope, there are no happy fun times that can be had at a wedding without some happy fun time drinks

Most Helpful Guy

• You can have a great time at a dry wedding, and so can MOST of the guests. But there are always a few people who either believe they cannot possibly have fun unless they're drunk, or who feel entitled to get shit-faced on your dime because they showed up to your wedding. in my opinion, if those folks choose to stay home, so be it.

I'm a mobile DJ, so I've been at hundreds of weddings, and I've been to a couple dozen dry weddings, and most of them were just as fun as the booze weddings - but with fewer of the booze-related problems.

It's YOUR wedding - make it the way YOU want it, and if they don't like it, they don't have to show up.

I didn't think it was too big of a deal, but I don't think the bride/groom's parents have ever gone to a wedding without booze. Some families are just full of people who drink at like every opportunity... I mean they even offered to pay for it, so it's almost as if they are implying that their kids have no choice in the matter.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think their family is right, they need to think about their guests.

Yes it's THEIR wedding, but it's going to be an awfully short wedding if people are already expressing interest in alcohol and causing a slight uproar about there not being any.

What Guys Said 19

• At an event like a wedding alcohol is such a social lubricant, it would be rather awkward NOT to have it. You essentially have two groups of strangers trying to interact and find common ground.

If the bride and groom wish to abstain that's fine but what exactly are their reasons if not religious lol?

I don't know exactly, I just know they are not religious at all. I thought before I heard the whole story, that it was a money thing which I could totally understand, but the family offered to pay, so not really sure why they are so against it.

Crazy how different cultures can be. If a wedding had alcohol I'd still go but I would leave early before everyone gets drunk.

@DocRim Haha, us Brits do love a good drinkšŸ·

Its no so much about getting drunk, more to help loosen everyone's tongue, make conversation flow better - again, we're a little reserved over here.

• I think they can be fun. In fact, they are better than people getting drunk and then having regret the next morning. People should learn how to have fun without alcohol. As for would I go? I think I would, yes. If I really wanted alcohol, I could always bring alcohol with me to my hotel room (if I stay at the hotel room) or drink when I get home. Society seems to be dependent on alcohol when it comes to socializing - which isn't good.

Wait, aren't you just kind of proving your own comment to be true. Rather than just go to the dry wedding, you're saying you might bring some alcohol along to drink some presumably before the wedding.

That's only if I REALLY wanted to bring alcohol.

• If they don't drink for their owns reasons that's fine but at least provide a cash bar unless their addicts that can't be around liqour. A flask is also handy for these situations.

As for the meal I've always have had a choice of three meals ahead of time or its been a buffet offering some form of a vegatarian alternative as a main dish.

As for skipping, depends on how close you are to then. I skipped my cousins because it was on new years eve (glad I did she left him for him wanting a family eventually) and could care less if she never talked to me again. But skipping not for them not having booze is insane. You need to bring a bottle in and make your own cocktails.

• id go but id bring my own. it would be like being in college id have to small few between classes to make it interesting.

• If I had to go, I'd be taking a flask of something and also be pre-drinking in the hotel bar before the event.

• Dry weddings suck period. No crazy uncles out on the dance floor. No fun. Yeah I'll go but the whole time I'm thinking damn is this flask gonna be enough for the whole wedding lmao

• I'd be fine with not having it or having it, it wouldn't matter to me.

• Yes, since I don't drink alcohol.

• *I* don't need to drink to enjoy myself. But, them imposing their views, beliefs, or whatever they want to call it on everyone else is ridiculous.

• Yes of course, in fact I prefer a lack of alcohol because then no one tries to force it on me

• It's their wedding , their day, their moment. Let them have it the way they want.

• It's their wedding, they should be able to set the pace as they choose.

• What kind of a party/wedding is it with no booze? A Muslim one? Is there shrimp cocktail at least? If there's not even that fuck it, I'm staying home. Unless I was dumb enough to agree to be someone's best man or something.

• Would be a pretty fucking lame wedding to be honest.

• No problem with that , I wouldn't serve alcohol on my wedding too

• I can live without it.

• My sister's wedding didn't have alcohol as well and it wasn't a big deal.

• the marriage is most important not booze.

What Girls Said 19

• "A"for Absolutely.
    I Lived out in Egypt for awhile with a Husband whom I had Married, and While there, I Went Two Weddings on the Nile River where there was No... Food nor Alcohol and All.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• Sure, I rarely drink anyway.

• It is their wedding and their day. They should decide how they want to spend the day and how the party should be.
    Of course I would attend at the party, it is a celebration of their love.

I can always go to another party with alcohol, but they (hopefully), won't get married again.

• Every wedding I went to had no alcohol and they were all extremely fun times... It always leaves me so surprised how people who drink are so dependent on alcohol when they wanna have a good time.

• I will not serve alcohol in my wedding for religious reasons so of course I would go.

• People must be really cheap to go to a wedding just for drinks ad getting drunk. That's what clubbing is for. Serve alcohol if u want too or don't. In my opinion wedding are fun without it!!!

• Oh yes, I don't like alcohols.
    But aside from that I am actually shocked that they are arguing about that.

You don't need drinks to have a good time, even if you are someone who drinks a lot.

• I don't need alcohol to have fun, but it certainly helps. I'd absolutely attend if I were close to the couple but otherwise... Eh.

• Yes... I no longer drink but only ever go to weddings where I actually know the people, never as a dates plus one.

• When I got married there were no alcoholic beverages, there was no pork and no seafood, but fish. The only kind of meat that was served was that of scaled fish, cow, reindeer, moose, goat, lamb...

• thats what flasks are for ayyyyyy

• I have been to several weddings without booze. It's not a big deal.

• i am okay with it. i don't drink.

• i'd still go

• Yes, I don't drink alcohol anyways.

• In the wedding of one of my cousins there was no alcohol.

• I would just sneak alcohol in my purse

• Yes - though I don't think dry weddings are as much fun. At the end of the day, it's about the couple getting married, not anyone else.

• I've been to one. We all agreed it was one of the best we'd been to.