If you marry someone from a different country, where would you want the wedding to be held?

I always wondered about this.

My bestfriend in High school was half Syrian half Belgian and her parents held 2 marriages, one in Syria and one in Belgium, but her parents are rich and they were already doctors when they got married I don't think the average couple can afford 2 weddings, one is already expensive.
It's the best option in my opinion but it needs a lot of money.

Getting married in the country we meet is another option but if none of the families lives there it would kinda suck.

• I would prefer to get married in my Fiance's country
  • I would prefer to get married in my country
  • I would hold 2 weddings in each one of our countries
  • We would get married in the country we met
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah no way I'm doing two weddings back to back lol, lot of work and the second wedding would really be kind of meaningless it would lack the spark or the special meaning that the first had and would just feel kind of redundant and it would also be a pain to the people attending probably. Like I don't think most people would want to do 2 weddings.

Honestly I would do the sensible and logical thing me and my wife to be would talk to both my parents and her parents and probably both together at some point. And discuss possible locations and after deliberation and possible debate, we would all agree on a mutual location that would appease all parties. Maybe even mix traditions in from both my culture and her culture.

Or another thing I would do is maybe the first time we could do the wedding her way according to her culture and then when our wedding anniversary comes around instead of just celebrating it, we could renew our vows then that time we would do the wedding (renewal of vows) my way or if we did the first wedding my way we would do the wedding (renewal of vows) her way.

That way we would each be able to do things the way we want but they would be far enough apart that it wouldn't be a pain in the behind or to expensive for the people actually attending as well as not being overly expensive for me and my wife since you don't want to be broke or in debt right when your married.

You also have to take into account that the vast majority of people are not filthy rich or even regular rich, so it would be impractical for most soon to be spouses as well as an inconvenience for the people attending since they would probably have to fly out, rent hotels, get a wedding present and all that.

That's how I would do it anyway all about communication, being thoughtful and compromising for your spouse, that's the recipe to a healthy marriage or wedding in this case lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• I actually randomly thought about this the other day since my boyfriend is Canadian. I also thought about it a few months ago when I was waitressing at a wedding, where the bride was Finnish and the groom Danish.
    If I ever get married to a foreigner, I don't think I'll want 2 weddings. Like the thought of just one wedding is enough. The wedding would be pretty small to begin with since I'd only want my closest friends and family. So hopefully his family and friends would be able to afford to fly in.

What Guys Said 20

• well, you want a traditional Tunisian wedding if I remember correctly, so I guess we have to do it there :P

• I'd really like it to be in her country because you get to see new places and you get to make your friends and family travel hahaha

Besides relgiously when you marry in your SO country this country because your home too

• I'd let her choose. She will probably care about the wedding ceremony more than me so it's better to give her the option.

• Whatever the option you choose is not important, it could be anything. What's important is that you both can come to an agreement and move forward from it

• I'll get visas for the close family of the other person and do it in England. If not my in hers but it should be mine.

Simply because my family is 10x bigger than here. I know.

That's what my family has done all along anyway.

• i want it to be in my country

• If I was rich I'd do it whatever

However I'm broke and so is my girlfriend so at this moment if we were to wed it'd be wherever we could afford it

• On a alternate destination or on a cruise ship or something.

• I would do it it in my country (UK) because it would be easier due to the fact i live here and would know where i needed to go to get everything for the wedding , in another country you would be shopping blind

But your future wife can do the shopping instead

Yeah i would imagine so, the Turks also occupied all the territory the ummayads took (Morocco {north africa} down to Jordan and up to Syria) in terms of understand it can be difficult at first when getting used to the new word that don't exist in traditional Arabic but I learnt them fairly quickly once i new what they meant, id say the most difficult people have with he Tunisian language would be the use of the 'French /Arabic language burger as a i call it 😂 this is particular difficult for non French speakers like my dad who only speaks Arabic and English.

for example the opening of a sentence will begin in French (this being the bun) then Arabic words will be spoken (this being the meat of the burger) then shortly followed by French again to close the sentence (with the other bun)

Morocoo was actually the only North African country not to be under The Ottoman Empire ^^
      Oh and yeah the mixing with French can be confusing to many haha

• I want it to be held at the bottom of ma heart if u dont mind 🌹😚 the day when our hearts finally become one 💞

• The country to me doesn't matter as long as people can come

• In my country ;)

Turkiye? WHat if your wife wants her family to attend the wedding?

Lmao noo marriages are fun maybe they can do one big wedding and one small non expensive one.
      But yeah Turkish weddings are dope

Oh yeah that one is logical, you can say that ;D

• Hold a wedding where every your planning on haveing your honeymoon

• I think it is not big deal to where we would marry but 2 weddings seems so fair to me

• Depends on the situation its hard to answer now.

• The moon

• I married someone from a different country. We got married in hers.

• Get married in where you like.

It's your day
    You just tell your family and friends this where it is and when it is.

If you can come , come if can't don't.

• I choose other. The other choices are bad.

What Girls Said 18

• I think the options are a bit silly.
    I can look at it as two people from opposite states of my country. Where are you living? Where is your home that you two live in? Where is the majority of the people located that will be invitted? If you have to fly in one set of parents at your dime because they can't afford it, it's one thing.
    I know of a couple who live here in Australia, all their friends are here etc, but are having a destination wedding and like everyone has to organise flights and I think that's a bit crap and won't be surprised if nobody goes (but kudos to them to doing what they want).

If there isn't a dream place that you want, and it's all a matter of logic and rational etc. Do it where your home is. Where you two are.

• I've actually been wondering about the same thing. I'm Pakistani but my family moved to Canada when I was in grade 6. We live in a small town and only have a small close-knit group of friends here. I've tons of family members living outside of Pakistan so they probably wouldn't even be able to attend the ceremony ( Australia, USA, Norway, UK) even if it was held in Pakistan. I don't even know if I'm marrying a Canadian guy or a native Pakistani guy so I am not sure about the geographic location. Wedding back home would definitely be more lavish and the guest list will be huge (>1000 ppl). Renting a small ballroom and catering service would cost a fortune in Canada lol.

• If that was the case I would choose the country that would be beneficial for everyone, and depends on the side who has more members. Or a different destination than the both of us are from, that way you can send out the invite but not EVERYONE Will come most likely, so we did our part lol.

• That is tough because each person will probably want it in their country. Sometimes the place you met is still in one of their home countries. If it were me, I would really like it in my country and I would hope that his family and friends are able to attend. If enough of them cannot make it to the wedding then we could fly over to his country and hold a smaller wedding of just the ceremony (again haha) and a luncheon.

• I have families living in multiple countries, so when I was engaged this came up. The plan was to have two separate small ones for each family. His family was in Europe with some of mine, and my American family lives around the same region so it would be easy for them to get together.

• I know for sure I want to get married in a castle somewhere in Europe. Some are actually pretty darn cheap to rent!

• My country, because the weddings in my country are just beyond awesome.

I love the traditions.

But I have a feeling that in that case we would have to have 2-3 weddings.

Number one being simply the nikah in a mosque : D

• I think probably the country we lived in. It's nice to think of doing both, or an ancestral country etc, but as you say, then it starts getting very pricey.

• In my country. More than likely, his family is able to travel abroad and most of my family members back at home, including some friends do not have passports, nor visas.

• i could do two weddings
    but if it had to be in one location, then it would depend on the size of the party and whoever has the means to travel

• If that ever happened it would be in my bf's country.

• I would get married in the country where both will live together.

• We would choose our dream country

• My country, or somewhere different all together

• When I got married we had two weddings, one in my birth country and the other in my wife's

• I would choose the country that has the better choice of wedding receptions.

• Either U. S. A or Mexico

• I wanted to get married there, but we got married here.