Why do couples who don't want children get married?

My friend and her boyfriend are not going to get married because of the tax consequences. She says it is financially better if they not marry unless they decide to have kids.

So I ask, what is the benefit for couples who do not want children to marry? I have no issue for them to marry. I just want to know why they choose to do so.

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh soo much. Where do I even start?

Start with the financial benefits

Well there are financial benefits.
      Taxes for once, if I married someone with own income we'd have about 400 euro more between us. That's a lot of money.
      The rest of it boils down to being considered family in the eye of the law and all the benefits that comes with that.
      Even as the father/mother of someone's child you can't inherit, visit them in hospital, have access to their pension or other wealth...

What Girls Said 3

• First of all, that doesn't make sense, cause marriage would actually be more beneficial for tax purposes, and second, marriage has nothing to do with children, it has to do with a commitment to each other. If a baby comes along in the future than good for them, but that has nothing to do with getting married in the first place.

In California if two working people get married. The state takes even more out of their income. If they have kids, different story. You don't need mairriage for a commitment, so begs the question what is the benefit of getting married?

Not true. I have married friends in Cali and they got a huge increase in tax returns after marriage vs. before and this wasn't just a 1 couple. I agree with you that you dont need marriage for a commitment, but thats what it means to the people who get married. Got nothing to do with kids unless they are some sort of jesus freaks and think its a must to get married before having kids.

• -In the event of death, so they can get the benefits. Like life insurance and that crap.

-Taxes

-Commitment

• Inheritance mostly as that is what marriage is for :/ . My parents were good friends with this couple, one of whom died sadly, and because they weren't married and he didn't have a will his wife really struggled with money afterwards. He would have wanted her to inherit that money, but legally she couldn't :'( . Same kinda thing with being allowed to be next of kin if your SO is in hospital.
    Also the general, y'know; they want to have the party with all their family and friends celebrating their love, they're religious and/or into tradition, etc.

Me and my SO are already committed and I'm not really fussed if we ever get married tbh, he's not into the idea at all. But those are potentially some compelling reasons someone might

What Guys Said 3

• 99 times out of 100, it's because she wanted to.

• Their are zero benefits. Usually it's peer pressure from family and friends. Marriage only benefits the lesser income earner in the event of divorce.

• Trying to understand women... impossible task