My boyfriend of one year said he is planning to marry me. Is this something I should prepare for? What does it mean?

We were walking on a nice trail and we were talking about promise rings and he asked me if I ever wanted one, I said yes I guess. And the he said "I don't like promise rings I'd rather the put a real engagement ring on it." And he said "I plan on marrying you" . I looked at him and said this isn't a joke! And he said he was very serious. What does a guy mean by this? I don't know what to say. I want to be married and we love each other a lot... he planned for us to go to Niagara falls for a mini vacation in 3 weeks. I hope he doesn't ask me then I'm scared.

What Guys Said 1

• Well, it's a sign that he's serious about the relationship, but it doesn't mean it will definitely happen or that he plans on popping the question any time soon. He might, but it doesn't mean that.
    What I would do is continue the conversation, and let him know what your thoughts and plans are. You don't have to say it directly, but in conversation slip in that you want to settle down and get married in X amount of time, or after a certain milestone is reached (once you're settled into a career, after living together for a year or two to make sure it works, etc.)

When someone says something like that, they mean it in that moment. In that moment, he plans to marry you. 6 months from now he might realize that it really wouldn't work out, or something might come up that changes things. Who knows.

Make note of it, be giving it consideration on your end, let him know what your expectations and feelings are, and see what happens.

What Girls Said 2

• I would say that most guys don't play around about marriage. Of you're not ready then I would tell him that or if you want the same thing let him propose then have a long engagement. Simple

• Why do you hope he doesn't ask you?