Girls, is it chauvinistic for a guy to ask a girl's father for permission to marry her?

I just wondered if some females think that this feeds into the idea that she is somehow her father's property or something...

10

Most Helpful Girl

• Well it is the fathers job to hand off her daughter in marriage regardless if anybody finds it old fashioned or not. I find it disrespectful not to. Better marriages and the quality of it begins at the center of everything, the home. If the father is not happy, he won't send his blessing and refuse to marry her off. Now some couples manage a marriage just right. But marriages fail just as miserably. I prefer traditional than anything. Because now it says a lot about who's she's marrying. I would think that he is disrespectful and she is just rebellious of her parents who doesn't honor them. I wouldn't agree to a union like that. But we can't tell people what to do. If I had a daughter and she wanted to get married, I judge and check all of that. Anybody can say 'for happiness', but whats going to happen when the honeymoon phase is over? You'll be at each other throats and then be begging for help. That's when I leave my hands off. They're grown adults, let them handle it like adults. But I respect my parents even when my mom was living, so my father's permission is a must and just as important.

What Girls Said 9

• I personally wouldn't appreciate it. I don't think it means the guy thinks I'm my dad's property or anything, I just think that it is pretty old fashioned and awkward and the only one whose opinion really matters on the subject is mine. My father has nothing to do with it really. Asking for a blessing may not be too bad, but I wouldn't like if he asked for permission.

• No I don't think that at all, I actually prefer a guy to ask my father or mother for my hand. :) its old fashion & respectful, which is good. :)

• I'm sure you will find some girls who do. I loved that my husband asked my parents.

• No. I like that tradition.
    The father usually walks their daughter down the aisles and hands her off, so it makes sense.
    And it's cute and shows he cares about what her family thinks of him.

• I feel like the asking the father thing is a tricky one. First of all if you are going to do it I would rather you ask both my parents at the same time. My mom has an opinion too ya know haha. Okay so on the one hand it shows respect for where the woman came from and shows the parents that you care about their daughter enough to respect her parents. Wonderful stuff. On the other hand you are setting yourself up for a real problem if they say no. Asking permission implies that if they answer is no then you will just back off. If you are not willing to do that and you think the parents do not support the union then... might want to rethink that.

• No, I dont think so. Its cute. But i wouldn't want a man to ask my dad but my mom cause my dads opinion doesn't count.

• i like the idea

• its common.. no biggie

• No it shows you have a lot of respect for both her father and her. Plus, you have really good manners. And im sure you'll be a really good husband to her. I wish my husband would do that to me lol.