Does marriage scare you?

I have realized when I see a question/poll on whether they would get married, a lot of men have answered no. Now some women say the same thing, but my question is why? Does it scare you, do you want more than one man/woman? I understand marriage may not be for everyone, I was just shocked at how many people are against it. I would just like to know why.

2mo Got some mixed results, but I understand a little more why some people are against marriage.

Most Helpful Guy

• I wasn't. Been married close to 30 years. I am concerned for my sons as it is easy for a woman today to simply change her mind, take the kids , house and not give you visatation rights. Things have to change.

Most Helpful Girl

• I very much look forward to marriage. Raising kids with the man i love, chasing them, laaughing with them. Fooling around with the hubby. Cooking together. Crying together. Traveling together

What Guys Said 21

• Marriage is a very old, defunct, obsolete institution. It was designed for a time when we had strict gender roles. The husband was the provider and protector and the wife was the homemaker and caregiver. After the implementation of no-fault divorce, a system designed by the feminist NAWL (National Association of Women Lawyers) to guarantee women their soon-to-be X husbands current and future assets and income - the death knell of marriage was struck. Since that time, countless millions of men's lives have been destroyed, trillions in wealth have been forcefully transferred via legalized theft from men to women, resulting in the suicides of tens upon tens of thousands of men annually ever since.

Global marriage rates have been dropping for many decades - both in good and bad economies - and are now at their lowest point in history. Marriage needs to die a well deserved and long overdue death. Counter to gynosocialist feminist propaganda - marriage is indentured servitude (slavery) for men. I'm shocked so many men still fall for this illusion and enchantment we call 'marriage'. Very naive they are.

• One of the reasons is the astronomical risk of marriage for a guy. In a marriage the woman has absolutely all of the legal power, and can financially collapse a man on a whim. I wrote a my take about "the disposable male" www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a30941-the-disposable-male-why-many-guys-feel-that-way that might help you understand. Understand that even if she is absolutely at fault, she cheated on him etc, he still has a huge financial obligation that he can not get out of. And many guys know this, and I think that you are seeing the results of these policies.

Laws are changing to protect men in divircrs. Equal share in everything. higher income earner pay more (make or female) in NY

• Yes, marriage scares me, because of the enormous legal risk that it poses.
    Marriage could be described as a game of Russian roulette, in which the revolver has only two chambers.
    If the man loses, a divorce court will take everything that he owns and give it to the woman, then use spousal support and child support orders to transform him into her impoverished slave for the rest of his life.
    See also what @MagiAlphaOne wrote.
    Also:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpFN5KT8pzw

• Men need to wake up!

Marriage IS DANGEROUS for Men!

- The Divorce rate is 50%... and WOMEN INTIATE IT 70% OF THE TIME!
    - Men loose 50% or more of their finances in a Divorce.
    - Men's chances of suicide go up 9 to 12 times compared to women during a divorce. Why? His children are ripped from him 90% of the time.
    - Domestic violence. Women make FALSE charges. There are very few resources for Men to use to escape from domestic violence.
    - False Paternity. Men are being forced by the Courts to pay for children that are not his... even if he has DNA evidence.

I see that you are strongly against marriage.

Sorry, if I misunderstood. Congrats for 24 years of being happily married. From what you said before it seems as though you are against marriage as a whole. I guess my bad for assuming that.

@Book_Lover17, no problem. My response was targeted to the age group on this page, teens to early 20s. If I were a 20 something young Man today and knew what I know now, I wouldn't get married.

• its because most girls are untrustworthy these days, plus their behavior, especially towards guys says it all. finding or ending up with a girl who's wife material is extremely rare, especially with all the trashy and too common bi-sexual girls there are, it just wouldn't be feasible.

Well, I hope you do find a trustworthy, uncommon, straight woman to marry. If that's what you want lol.

• Nope I very much look forward to marriage it's not getting with the right person that startles me, but marriage itself I look forward to.

• If I find the right woman? Not at all. I'd love to have a wife, but I've yet to find one whom I'd be compatible with.

• Nope, doesn't scare me in the slightest. I want only ONE woman that was born female that is straight (yes, I'm that specific). I wouldn't even consider a three way.

• No

there's no point. Of getting married legally.

Ill get u a ring but im not signing no papers.
    Marriage is a businesss transactions anyway.

And as far as the ring goes i want it back aftwerards if doesn't work out.

there's no reason in 2016 why any guy should do it.

Have a fake wesding and tell people ur married

Your either married legally or your not. And I get that it's not for everyone, and you just happen to be one of them.

How do u feel about pre-nups and contracts in General then?

To me that says that you don't believe in your marriage from the very beginning.

• Nope

• It scares me so much, I could never.

Just kidding, I'm getting married in two days. Wedding hype!

• Because it's not realistic in today's society. People don't have the character for such a union in today's society or culture.

• bc in one hit the woman could take evrey penny u made while she never worked a day in damn life

• Marriage only scares me if after 1- 2 years being engaged she no longer wants to be with me my heart would shatter. I fall in love too easy and my loves for real.

• The fact that women want it soooo much scares the shit out of me.

• nah, a new, good chapter in my life is long passed due.

• It'll only scare me if it's with the wrong person

• No but girls scared me 😶

• If I really find a girl that i will like and love her. It's my dream to get married :)

• No, but rings don't plug holes

• Yes it does.

What Girls Said 21

• Not at all, I just think people are preparing for the worst "oh she'll take everything", "oh he'll cheat" etc.
    That's people's problems, like somehow you become different people in a marriage, you are still the same, with the same person, but you have the new label. And I am going to be married some day, it's the next step in the relationship, and I want that day for us. I'm not religious, but I am a romantic, and just the idea of that special day, full of love and romance, is what I've wanted for a long time.

But I'm not thinking of the "what if...", because why even be in a relationship in the first place if you're already planning for how it ends. It's one thing if you bring in children or want a prenup where you two agree on 50:50 or some shit, it's another to be like "need a prenup so WHEN she leaves...". And I think that's why so many guys say no because they decide it's only a lose scenario.

• Yes for some reason.

I can remember being in my teens and watching a competition on TV where a couple got to have their wedding and honeymoon paid for. It made me try and imagine what it would be like to be married and legally "tied" to a person for the rest of your life. I thought I'd think of it in a romantic way, but it just made me feel suffocated. It still does.

I have a three year old from my previous relationship and my partner and I are expecting a baby in January. We have everything we need. We're as committed as we're going to be.
    I want to be with him forever, I can't imagine not being. I just don't want to be married and he's fine with that.
    We don't need it.

If it works for you then it works. I just don't view it as being "tied" down. Congrats on the baby 😊😊

I didn't mean tied in a bad way, I just couldn't think of a better word :(

Thank you sweetheart :)

I didn't take offense. I respect that others don't want marriage, and I hate when I can't come up with the right word lol.

• It scares me now, BECAUSE I am not stable in any way. I have a job that pays $10 an hour and live at school. I only work 6x a month in the summer. I have to live at home in the summer... :o! I don't want kids any time soon, UNLESS I am married and we both have full time jobs that pay at least $20xhr. I was in a long term relationship until last month... but now that is the last thing I want =) !! I will get married... but I want to be single for a LONG time first!

• i am married. i have up and down times. its not always about you but you should make time for yourself in the marriage. good luck

• No! Honestly, if I found the perfect guy I could've got married at 16 lol but my parents wouldn't allow it anyway.
    If it wasn't for university I could get married tomorrow! I'm actually very excited to get married and I hope I'll get married before turning 27!
    The thing that scares me is marrying the WRONG person, but not marriage itself ^_^

• The statistics are scary. Watching everyone around you who is married be unhappy is scary. Watching everyone get divorced is scary. We have witnessed more endings than anything and we are afraid to be that person. We are afraid of getting it wrong.

• I'm very excited to get married :) it's an exciting prospect and journey to down the aisle. :) I can't wait for my partner to pop the question, he's so romantic and steady.

• I come from a culture where it's kinda socially unacceptable not to get married.
    But I've never been in a relationship (serious one), cuz I'm afraid of getting too attached to a person, and we all know that guys are jerks these days.
    Sure, I plan on getting married one day and have kids, because I think that's our asignment on Earth, to leave some descendants behind us.
    Nobody likes the idea of getting old all alone, tbh.
    But I think you should enjoy your youth first and try different things so you don't get married for some fool one day.
    No need to rush :D
    Marriage is supposed to be a life-long commitment!

• Just because I am indifferent to marriage does not mean i am scared of it. Im not against marriage, but Im NOT like these other women who will freak out or commit suicide if they do not get married. I will marry if the right guy comes along but that doesn't mean i will just marry any guy who proposes to me and I have actually been proposed to before.

• Marriage does scare me to be perfectly honest. I have never seen a good, healthy marriage so it makes sense. My boyfriend knows this, but still wants us to get married someday. Maybe we will, maybe we won't.

• Nope. That's the only thing in life that I always knew I wanted for sure other than children tbh.

• Bruh relationships scare me. Forget about marriage.

• A little bit yes.

• Hell yes

• Not at all. I think when you find the right person, it won't be so scary

• oh hell no, i love the idea of loving someone till the day i die

• Some people just don't want to be married plain and simple

• Marriage itself doesn't scare me, but I have a fear of it not lasting.

• Marriage isn't for evverybody. Some people want to live without boundaries. I want a life of stability and so thats why i want to be married. a lot of people just dont want to commit to one person or a family. It IS a big job to do but still I think its better to be married. Thats just me

• It does me. My parents had s bad marriage and I was soured on it since I was like 4 years old.

I'm sorry to hear that, but you can't base what your marriage might be like from your parents. But I understand how that would make you hesitant to even think about marriage.

I totally agree. But logic and the brain wiring your form after years of repetitive thoughts aren't always synchronized! Haha.

• Personally in my opinion. I don't want to get married as I think it's wrong. For a start I'm not religious so it's a waste of money and why go through all that for one day just to prove you love someone. You should show you love them everyday

To me it's not a waste of money, but I also understand that it's not for everyone 😊.