Are Weddings a rip-off?

Yeah, they're a total rip-off like the video says.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, especially the ring.
    It's either meant as the guy to spend a ton of money on, so you can gauge his love based on how much hard earned money he spent on.

Or it's because rings are 'sparkly and shiny' but a 4$ ring that looks the same is unacceptable. Which really makes no sense in my opinion.

Most Helpful Girl

• weddings yes, marriage no

What Guys Said 21

• Weddings are not a rip off because no one makes you have a fancy and expensive wedding. It is something that you do if that is what you want and can afford. If you don't want it or can't afford it, you can go to the courthouse and get married on your lunch hour. Weddings are not a rip off any more that expensive cars are a rip off.

• Well weddings are, marriage is not.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp4FLeY6F9g

• I hate that dude and explains every reason why college humor is shit. Pretentious douchebags. Even when he's right, he sounds like the biggest dick on earth

• Man i love that show. I don't them weddings themselves are rip offs but these big expensive weddings everyone thinks that they need to have in order to prove their love are just stupid (unless you have money like that). Me and my girl already decided we are just going to have a party with our close friends and get fucked up together.

• yea, I mean, we're all forced to get married.

When did it suddenly become a topic of debate as whether it was a good or bad thing? Either way, it's up to the couple to get married the way they want to. I highly doubt that I'm even gonna have a wedding or married by any means lol

• The prices are outrageous

• Weddings Yes
    Marriage is not

• I won't deny that they don't need to be anywhere near as expensive as they are, but the only reason "your feelings are almost certain to change" is because hardly anyone gets married for the right reasons or at the right time.

• Only the religious parts. The ceremony and the rings and all that stuff is fine.

Seriously? So the part that is free, is a rip-off, but the overpriced stuff, those are fine... please, don't reproduce.

• Absolutely not! I've been to a few, and they're very always very fun and romantic social gatherings! ⛪️💏💍
    I've sadly never been married myself, but weddings are always super fun to go to! I had the time of my life at my sister's! 🎂

• Ripoff? No question in my mind about it.

Just my opinion

• Yes, but you have to have weddings, how else will all these divorce lawyers get paid?

• Yes they are
    Marriage is too

Why do I need the state to validate my love
      Why do I need a priest
      Why do I need my family
      The love between two is there's and there's alone
      No one has a right to pass validation
      And as BOC said "love of two is one"

• They don't have to be. No one has to spend tens of thousands of dollars just to impress people.

• Steve Martin's character from "Father of the Bride" would love this.

• Rather spend on the honeymoon

• I don't do weddings
    I didn't do wedding
    I won't do wedding

• Hell yeah! I rather use that money on multiple vacations!!

• Weddings have become a rip-off. It is supposed to be a celebration of love and commitment between husbands and wives. It has gotten to where you are "supposed" to spend all this money, and get stressed out over what should be the happiest day of your life O. o This is a big part of why I want to elope.

• I think the whole big wedding thing is what leads to so many divorces. Think about a young couple get engaged and decide for a traditional expensive wedding so they spend the next ten years scrimping and saving probably living still with their parents until they have enough and then they take out a big loan because they haven't saved enough for the traditional wedding that the bride's parent's are pushing for while they ignore conviently that the brides parents traditionally pay for the wedding. So when the wedding is done and are both living together trying to pay rent while having blown all their savings and burdened by this massive debt all for a party that lasted six hours, they start thinking about a kid but realiae they can't afford one but its too late she had her contraceptive implant removed before the wedding and she's three months pregnant, eventually the stress break them apart.

• Not really. I'm definitely going to forget about "wedding" cakes and things like that which are ripping people off. But I'd like a cool wedding.

If you do every "traditional" thing and buy the "official" wedding stuff yeah you'll get ripped off. But you can easily have a very good wedding without breaking the bank.

It's like a branded designer ring. It looks the same as any other ring but because it has one specific brand to it it costs more. Just don't get the official crap and get something that looks virtually identical that isn't technically for weddings and bam you save thousands of dollars. No one would be able to tell the difference

What Girls Said 8

• We did a really cheap diy wedding, I would say that our wedding was less than $5,000. $2,000 for food

• Hell ya I wanna get married at city hall and buy a car with the money I don't spend on a wedding.

• I just saw that episode. My siblings had nice small weddings so for them no but for some people sure.

• i just want something simple

• I think so

• Definitely a huge waste of money.

• Wedding are not a rip off and when and if you meet the right person thin it will be worth it

• no... i had a good, fun wedding.
    i would do it again, but my way.