Is it okay to propose to a guy when you're a female?

hi so this is my first post and first of all, i'm new to this website by the way i have a question, is it really okay to propose a guy when you're a female? i know most of the men are proposing to a girl. but the women who propose to a guy is really rare... so is it okay?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it is ok. I also think it is ok in terms of making it a "I want to marry you"... no pressure, just letting you know where I'm at.

It kinda sets the tone and you can talk, as you get to know each other try to move in that direction. I think that helps either shorten it or make it stick for LTR.

Most Helpful Girl

• There was this commercial, I think it was Dove or Secret deodorant for women, and the girl proposed to her boyfriend at a restaurant in a fortune cookie. And I watched that with my boyfriend and said, "oh my gosh I would never do that." And my boyfriend was like "Why not?" Which surprised me because I thought guys, would think it was emasculating to be proposed to. I personally wouldn't do it, because I feel like people would just assume he didn't want to marry me so I pushed along the situation and forced him to say yes.

What Guys Said 14

• Yes it's okay. I see why not? Why not?

• Depends on the guy. Why hasn't he proposed? Might want to be careful with that one.

Overall I wouldn't have an issue with it. Just have to be understanding on where you do it. In public to a guy who thinks it's his choice might do more damage then good.

*If* a girlfriend proposed to me I wouldn't mind but would say no. I've not asked because either I'm not ready or I don't want to get married. The latter is my current position.

• Nooo, you'll cause a tear in the space-time coninuum!!!

Of course it's ok, the reason it doesn't happen often is that traditionally the man would ask since men would take longer to be ready for the commitment.

• Well, I guess if you really like something you put a ring on it..

• It would definitely feel strange (because of social conventions etc). I've had girls ask me out or make a first move, but a proposal would be a different thing I guess

• no one says a girl can't, and its perfectly fine.

• yes its totally fine, instead its awesome

• of course it is

• Of course its fine

• Go for it. Do make sure he'll say yes tho lol.

well i am not exactly sure if he say yes or no... but i don't want him to feel awkward if i propose to him because i am not a guy so...

I guess you should do it in private like someone else suggested. He may feel less awkward.

• My mother proposed to my father, next year they'll celebrate their 40th anniversary ^_^

• Not really no...

why? give me the details. is it because they're feeling so awkward when a girl propose to a guy?

I think its awkward tbh and most girls usually want to get married before guy, so they might jump the gun with the proposal and get turned down. Plus its a guy thing, some guys wanna propose to his girl...

• hey, didn't monica originally do it to chandler?

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 14

• No, lightning will come from the sky and smite you... don't risk it.

Yes it's totally fine! Some guys themselves may not like it because maybe they want to do it and are traditional etc or maybe they had a plan in mind. But even those guys would probably love that you wanted it so much you asked yourself.
    Do it.

I'm not really sure how the whole ring thing goes though.. Do you get HIM a diamond ring :P

• Is there a law saying you can't where you live? If you reallllly want to marry this man it shouldn't matter what anyones opinion is because in the end its between you and him

• Sure, it's fine :)

good. i want to know if its okay or not because i notice that some men feel so awkward at all when a girl propose to them...

• I asked my guy and he laughed at me😞

• Sure. I don't see anything wrong with it.

• Why not? This is the 21st century. Females are supposed to be able to take care of their own life.

• Ofcourse. I know like a hand full of girls who did. I know two girls who got dumped because they proposed lol.
    Hey gotta take a risk in life right!

• I guess it depends if the guy is traditional or not. Traditional guys may not like it.

• It is okay, there's no rule against it

• I don't think it's right.

• No don't force it, wait for him to be ready

• Yea it's perfectly fine.

• personally i'd feel like it's emasculating. it's tradition for the man to propose.. however that being said it's 2016 and everything back in those days is merely a thing of the past so... if he's not the kind of guy to take it personally then sure =)

• If you feel confident, go for it. Personally, I want the guy to propose to me. But it's all up to you!