Is 7 years a huge age gap now a days?

I got a proposal from a very good profile; PHD from a reputed university in UK, good personality. I have not meet that person yet. Probably will talk to him over phone within some days. But the problem is the age gap. We have 7 years and 4 moths age gap.

That guy already completed his PHD and I am applying for PHD. I am 26 and he is 33.

Is that going to be a good match considering age gap, education etc?
I appreciate your personal opinions too.

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't worry about the age-gap, per se. I might wonder instead if you're at the same stage, interested in the same things. For example, he may be interested in quickly establishing his career (which may require relocation), setting up a home, and having a family. You may be many years from that point.

One of my friends became pregnant after she finished all her PhD coursework. Particularly because her child was born with some neurological issues, her time was divided between caring for him and researching/writing/defending her thesis. While defending it, her committee requested further work within a defined timeframe. At this point, she walked away from her PhD program with many (6?) years invested. Although she finally got a tenure track teaching position, she was stuck doing adjunct work for almost a decade, largely because she never finished her degree.

I'm not trying to dissuade you. If she had it to do all over, I'm sure my friend would choose her husband and son over her career again. Just be aware of the potential costs. In my opinion, the right relationship trumps all else in life. If you have it, you can be happy regardless of circumstances; if you don't have it, it can be hard to find contentment and satisfaction.

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol funny enough my current boyfriend is six years and eight months my senior. I actually think the age gap is very fitting. with me he's learned how to love life again, he's remembering what it was like being younger and seems to enjoy himself more, like he has woken from a deep sleep he never realized he was in.

On the flip-side for me, I am learning more life-skills. he's taught me to be even more wise than I than I thought I was before. I've made smarter decisions, things he wished he could have done better. Also with age he's had more time to learn about himself, he know what he wants and to me he seems like a true man. until i dated him it seemed like i only dated boys. I love dating a guy that knows what he wants in life and has already succeeded in many aspects.

I think age gaps are a good thing, i think it makes for a healthier relationship, in the end i chose happiness. He made me happy so i ignored the things people said about age, I'm not really sure why we limit ourselves to something as silly as age, a number doesn't make a person who they are, only time does that.

What Guys Said 19

• I dated someone that far apart, in reverse... she was older. its not big gap at your age, it will be when he is 80.

What did you mean by "it will be when he is 80"?

for a long time the age gap doesn't matter, but you will be like 72 and he is 80, you are a woman and you live longer. at that age, who knows... depends on how people age, but at some point someone needs help cause they are old...

• If anything it's less relevant then it has ever been. It's about what stage of life you're at rather then the actual gap. The fact you're applying to study well he has finished might impact the relationship. If you like the guy it's worth a shot. Just keep an open mind.

Thanks for sharing your opinion.

• I think it's a total non-issue at your respective ages.

• Age gap isn't significant at your ages. At this point compatibility is. Neither of you will know until you spend the right amount of time together, in person.
    Online relationships are one dimensional and deceptive.
    Proceed with caution

OK I am not going for online relation. As that guy and I live in different city we will discuss a bit on video conferencing. I am thinking about marriage problem; as there is 7 years gap, two people may have different types of expectations. I am worrying about that expectations.

When I was 34 met the woman who eventually became my wife. She was 25.
      9 years difference was never a factor.
      I would not worry about your age difference. Expectations can be an issue until you have spent a significant amount of time together.
      I didn't think that you were going for an online relationship. It would appear that you are already in one with this fellow.

• Just test it out. If u click then sure but basing a relationship on education? I'm sorry would you like to talk about physics or talk about who's going to change the babies diapers.

• 7 years would be rape or nearly rape for a 16 yo.
    7 years would be nothing for me

Don't see it in years, see it in percent of your age. (26%: it's a bit limit)

• These days? I suppose so. But honestly, it has more to do with the mental and emotional capacity between the two people. I personally don't think 7 years is much of a gap. Hell, one set of my grandparents had that gap.

Thanks for your opinion.

I am worrying about the expectation of different age. Now a days people are selecting same age partners because it is easy to lead life. But what about 7 years gap?

I am also worrying because when he started his phd program, I was just in my 2nd year of undergraduation. So, here is a kind of generation gap.

The fact that you are both in your 20s means that you should be fine. Education really doesn't have much to do with it, except for the fact that you won't be in the same graduating class. That's fine. Not everyone marries someone in their graduating class. In fact, not everyone goes to college.

• The gap isn't an issue. Not having met him yet on the other hand...

• At 26 and 33 it's ok, a little on the high side but not a major problem.

• not at your age. if you were 15 that's different

• at your age 7 years is no problem at all

• It's not major, but if you decided to marry him, the difference would be noticeable when you're both 75+.

• Just talk to him and see how you feel. It's not that big a gap.

• not at your age

• No i dont think so thay say love have no age or something like that. Its worse if you are young. Like 15old girl and 22 guy. Then its just weird.

As the girl is planning for higher education and the guy already completed it, is not it a bit weird?

Its just practical you study and he makes money its a nice combo for living. After you finish the you both can work and live your lifes together in peace. :)

true

• people seem to think that educational level is a function of love

didn't gotit. Can you please explain a bit more.

• age isn't a problem... to a point. i mean, why would a 27 year old want to be with someone who's old enough to be her father? And, it's basically illegal for anybody under 18 to be with anyone over 18

in most states actually the age of consent is 16-17.

People don't become adults because they turn the magical number of 18, people become adults based on their independent's, wisdom, and common sense. Most people considered me to at least act like an responsible person/adult when i was only 16/17.

At 16 i got my first job and also worked a second, while attending school making grades of a B or higher, and still managed to be on the Varsity Swim team. I moved out of my house at 17 and am now going to college.

I was an adult the moment i stared making the decisions that children shouldn't have to make, Do I need to pay the heating and electric bill, or buy food these next 2 weeks?

differing states i guess, but, you get my point, 17 is just too young

I understand what you are saying, and I respect you for it.

• I think you are find as long as you like him. Age is just a number. Why do other people's opinions matter? Its not like they are going to be spending the rest of their lives with him, you are. So decide what you want and stand firm.

• you're pretty much the same age

same age? I am 26 and he is 33+

What Girls Said 10

• its more about what you both expect from life than your actual age. In in a serious long term relationship with a guy who is 6.5yrs older than me. But he has gone for a career change and returned to get a 2nd degree at university so we are really both in the same stage of life. In my case I prefer having a slightly older guy, he is just that bit wiser and more gentleman like which is nice.

I wouldn't worry about this guys education as such its not something that makes a good relationship. But it does mean you are both in similar life stages. Just get to know him. The only way to really know a persons expectations is to spend time with them. Thats why people date for years before getting married.

• The fact that you're asking about it shows you're unsure about the gap so you should avoid a romantic relationship with him.

Honestly honey you're more than educated and old enough to know this and yourself by now.

Yes I an unsure about the age gap because of lack of experience.
      Most people now a days are marrying someone of same age or within 2-3 years gap but in my case it's about 7 years. So, I am thinking about the future.

Like I said. It make you uncomfortable so it doesn't matter what we think because you'll still be uncomfortable.

• I literally thought this would be a 15 year old asking if it would be okay dating a 22 year old... not a 26 year old dating a 33 year old.

You are 26, you are mature enough to make your own decisions. If you feel the relationship is right (putting education and age aside) then go for it!

• 7 years ain't nothing. I've dated twice and triple that. Age is just a number

• Not too much.

• Nope, as long as the younger one is a least 17 it's fine.

• I don't think that's a huge age gap myself :) don't let it hold you back!

• Depends on how similar you are to each other, age is just a number, but if he has similar intersts it shouldn't be a problem

• You're 26, it's more than okay to date someone 7 years your senior.

• 7 years is nothing. Just relax and see how it goes. Simple.