Men, would you be more inclined to get married if the risks associated with divorce (splitting of assets, child custody etc) weren't an issue?

I saw a question asking why people don't want to get married, and from what I've seen in previous polls, men seem much less inclined to get married.
Question I'm referring to is here: http://www.girlsaskguys.com/relationships/q2121581-why-do-some-people-not-want-to-get-married-anymore

Some commented that a lot of the reason for people not wanting to get married was because divorce/split rates are really high, and men in particular are more hesitant because in the unforeseen event that something does go wrong, typically the women have the upperhand in the divorce.

So let's say that if you (men) knew that if the marriage did go wrong and that in the case of the divorce, the woman wouldn't be favoured at all for splitting of finances, the house, custody of children etc, but instead it would either be split evenly/fairly/or case by case, would you be more inclined to get married?

• Yes, I would be more inclined to get married if I knew that in the event of a divorce, it would be fair.Men, would you be more inclined to get married if the risks associated with divorce (splitting of assets, child custody etc) weren't an issue?
  • No, I wouldn't be any more or less inclined to get married regardless of who gets what in the event of a divorce.Men, would you be more inclined to get married if the risks associated with divorce (splitting of assets, child custody etc) weren't an issue?
  • No, I do not believe in/want to get married at all.Men, would you be more inclined to get married if the risks associated with divorce (splitting of assets, child custody etc) weren't an issue?
  • I am a woman/want to see results/other

Most Helpful Guy

• I can't answer this poll. I do want and desire to get married. I just haven't found the women that God has intended for me to marry. The other reason I can't answer is when I do get married the thought of divorce isn't going to be an option, we will work through the problems together.

What Guys Said 34

• It's a pointless hypothetical and I would never marry under any circumstances other than threat of execution. Increasingly, it's not marriage you have to worry about but forced marriage for men (cohabitation rights bill, de facto relationships, committed intimate relationships, or just judges handing women money upon breakup following relatively short cohabitation). What's more, there's the constant threat of false accusations through affirmative consent and VAWA. Affirmative consent - although denied by ALI - is already being practiced in criminal courts and college campuses. Marriage will soon become the least of men's worries and already is for those paying attention. You can opt out of marriage. You cannot opt out of false accusations and forced wealth transfer via anti-male laws and policies.

Look up the following on YouTube:
    What Is MGTOW (An Introduction To Gynocentrism)

The above video concisely explains why marriage will and already is dying a rapid, well deserved death globally. Marriage will simply be replaced - and already has been replaced to a very large extent - with man taxes. They're just not called man taxes and most men have zero idea that they're already married - even if legally single.

• Yes. I do want to get married, but if those risks weren't an issue, I wouldn't have as many doubt I have now. If divorces were actually fair, then I wouldn't doubt about getting married, but what it can't be is that you pay for the house and provide for the family, your wife cheats, and she ends up keeping the house, the kid/s and half your money. That's not fair.

I have no doubt about wanting to spend the rest of my life with one woman, my issue is with the paper, ergo, the marriage. That's what I have doubts about.

• It would probably help.

As it stands right now, the issues you brought up are a form of inequality that should be addressed.

Beyond that though, we (thankfully) don't live in a world where religion and tradition dominate virtually every aspect of nearly everyone's lives.

While society still expects people to get married, you aren't shunned for being single. You aren't completely shunned for having sex with people you aren't married to.

While statistics have shown that a coupled household is better for raising children, that doesn't mean that requires marriage to function.

I mean, rationally... marriage is kind of pointless. It's essentially an excuse to throw a massively expensive party and remind the rest of society that you are indeed a part of the status quo.

• Yes, absolutely. I don't see myself remaining sane forever if the only thing in life I have are casual or short relationships. I want a woman I can grow old together with. I don't want to be alone at 50 with a hooker sleeping next to me. I want a wife with whom I can complain about those damned rascals in our back yard.

• The opposite for me.
    I would enjoy marriage more while these risks exist.
    Imagine yourself being with a man who sees all these risks and tells you they are not really risks anymore because of how much he trusts you, and even if the trust did not settle in so deep yet, that to him you are worth taking all these risks and more.
    Wouldn't you find extra beauty in that?
    Everything in life will always be flawed because people are slaves to their own subjectivity. Society is no exception. Yet we can still find good/beauty in everything.
    Focus on that instead.

• Doesn't really change my inclination, I'll always have assets and a rainy day pot tucked away that she can't legally touch. My biggest concern would be for the kids, and I would hate to fight tooth and nail for them because a strong father figure is (in my experience) far more important than a mother figure for their development.

So yeah based on that alone, if I was guaranteed custody or the majority I would be more inclined to get married. In truth though, I'm going going to get married because I love her and I won't be thinking about divorce

• Honestly none of that affects me or my descion to get married or not married, I've always wanted to get married and have a family way before all this nonense started, that hasn't changed nor will it in the future.

• I already wanted to get married, but I must admit that the fear of getting screwed over in the unlikely event of a divorce has always been in the back of my mind.

In the situation you created in which those risks don't exist, at least that fear would be eliminated, and I'd be even less hesitant to get married.

• I believe in marraige. But it's like one of those things that some people can do and others can't. Like some people are that type that would be very happy married and some wouldn't be. I have respect for both parties. I don't blame men (or women) to be hesitant about marrying in today's world.

• No i do plan on getting married in the future and these thing's dont discourage me from getting married to a girl i deeply love and want to be with for the rest of my life. Marriage is a beautiful thing and it shouldn't be so controversial now it just discourages other people from committing.

• I would only marry if I had decided I want children otherwise marriage just seems to be a useless social thing that women get all excited for but end up being let down by how little it means nowadays. A legal contract and a stable home for raising kids sounds nice though so someday I will probably get married.

• not gonna marry someone if I'm already worried what will happen if we divorce again

• In marriage, those who do it right only do it once. Therefore I wouldn't be inclined to marry more because of more fair divorce laws.

• im still more inclined to get married.
    if both person are mature, and love truly one another, and have a good understanding between them, then no matter how much they fight. they will stay together, my parents are a big example of this.

• yuuuup

• i still believe in love and marriage. finding a girl who believes in this shit is hard nowdays but yeah would do

• in every way the man will get blamed for the divorce
    women create so much drama and tension in marriage that it nearly suicide to marry
    look how we portray husbands in media : stupid , fat , out of touch with the world
    while the wife is an angel

• no. when/if i get married i would do so knowing that i won't divorce, so this has no influence on it at all

• It's hard to say
    No one gets married planning for s divorce

• Well good thing my country doesn't follow these laws

• I still want to get married

• I still think I would end up being screwed over somehow

• Yes. I would even without the reduced risk. No risk, no reward.

• Yes, definitely.

• I wouldn't really want to get married anyway. Or at least I don't plan on it happening any time soon

• If it wasn't a big risk I'd consider it more probably

• No because all women are whores who only care about money because hypergamy and alpha males!!! Ahhh Im so pissed Im going my own way!!! Rabble rabble rabble!

• Here is hard to divorce, i support "no need to marry" :)

• It has nothing to do with assets or divorce

Okay, what does it have to do with then?

love? have you even considered the fact that people don't want to get married because they fear the marriage will not hold? more than 50% or marriages today end in divorce withing the first 5 years... BIG gamble to take... not very reassuring

Yes, I have considered and understand that.

• i just find marriage kinda dated and not really necessary. Plus i doubt i'm that good to have a relationship with a girl. I'm better off being alone

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 0