How seriously would you take a marriage vow?

Looking at the skyrocketing divorce rates in the west, you begin to wonder what the point of a marriage vow is.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not planning on getting married, but I think people should really take them more seriously. Personally I would be totally fine with having a love ceremony (just the ceremony, no traditional marriage) and exchanging vows. Only we wouldn't do til death do us part, cause I don't think our love should ever have an ending point.

What Girls Said 18

• Extremely seriously. I hate divorces and I don't believe in divorces unless its adultery or you don't feel safe with your spouse if it domestic abuse. However your wrong about divorce skyrocketing. That is a misconception. And the only reason why statistics show that it is has to do with the correlation of those who marry a 2nd time and more marriages. Say you get married for the first time, and it didn't work out for whatever reason, you or is selfish, you want to go out an have sex with somebody else, you hate each other, etc. Right? Then you end up getting remarried right after divorce because you were dating somebody while you were still married and going through divorce proceedings like a lot of people are doing. That says a lot about your character.

Overall your 2nd marriage still have a chance at divorce over 50%. And I know this to be true for a fact when this is done out of pure selfishness. But once again, you still haven't learned your lesson about marriage and giving up your wants, so you get a divorce again. 3rd time, 4th time, 5 time, it gets worse and the divorce rate for YOU goes up every time you remarry. And they usually don't last long. Now a lot of people are confusing 1st marriages and the ages of 18 - 26 as far too young to marry and that is why it fails. False! It fails because we are dealing with immature, sneaky and conniving people who is out for their own gain and just want to do whatever they want. And then you have people who is so selfish and unhappy no matter what you do to keep the marriage, they divorce just because they are unhappy. That is not the grounds for divorce. Then you just have people who refuse to have sex with their spouse when asked. Not demanded, but asked.

The problem with people is that they get married for all the wrong reasons and the wrong things. They say that sexual compatibility is important in relationships when its a bogus lie! Your sex drive and everything changes with health, environment, genetics and age. When all those things plays a role, your not going to be feeling the same thing as when you were younger, and lose the sexual attraction. But 9/10x people get married because the sex was supposedly good, and then come to find out later when the sex is less and less who the person really is and whom they've married. They don't use wisdom anymore.

When you have sex your bound to that person for life with every sex partner you have. Marriage is the same thing as sex is to consummate it.

• Pretty serious. So serious that my dating habits have high standards. I could have totally married any cute guy that held my hand and said "I love you" but having been in a relationship for 10 years with someone I considered my soul mate, I realized that even when one is lucky to have such a person in their life, the economics of the world can put that to the test in the blink of an eye. Not to mention that problems decrease attraction and daily duty takes away from the attention you want to receive and that you can offer. Life is brutal and it takes 2 strong people to each give 100% all the way. He passed away on me when I was 25. I am 36 now and have to say that I do not feel safe getting married with anyone just yet. The commitment is temporary for most.

• I will take my marriage vows very seriously. Though divorce rates have actually decreased as of late, I don't define how seriously I take my relationship or making it official by law based off of how other view their own.

• It's actually not true that divorce rates are skyrocketing, they're actually decreasing. Even at their worst, it wasn't even 50%, but that was in the 70s and 80s, not now.
    Marriages are improving.

Divorce rates peaked at about 60% in 2008 and have been decreasing steadily since the marriage rate as almost completely stopped entirely.

You can't take numbers out of context, you need to know what they mean and why they mean what they do.

@Gommers no, even at their worst they weren't at 50%. And that was back in the 80s when Reagan made it easier to divorce along with feminism

• Of course I'd take mine seriously then we won't have a divorce

• I take it pretty serious, as in I believe God will throw me in hell if I got a divorce.

What if your husband molests your children, would you then stay because you're scared of God?

@ShaeNielson I am pretty sure that I would forgive him and trust that God will punish him. I am also pretty sure that I trust God to protect me and my kids. Plus if I had any suspension that he would, I will put the fear of God in his heart to not even think about it.

• That's a false statistic, as @buchitabuchys pointed out.

Regardless, just bc many others aren't taking it seriously doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't. It means something to me and that's what matters. I'd treat it the same way I would if divorce was almost unheard of even if it was almost guaranteed.

• Divorce rates have actually been on the decline in recent years after peaking among the baby boomers...

• Extremely serious, till death do us part 💍💍

I want to believe you; but you're 17 and that will most likely change by the time you're 21 and have been drinking for 3 years and college has ruined your brain.

Don't let yourself get fucked up by the institution stay loyal to your beliefs.

It may be impossible if your partner does not have such strong beliefs.

• I would say one of the reasons why the divorce rate is so high is because people don't take their vows seriously.

• i'd take it seriously

• I take it seriously, but I also wouldn't hesitate to back out if I wasn't happy. The increase in divorces is not a bad thing, the reason they were so low before was because people couldn't just have a divorce, they had to just stay unhappily married.

Is that not a little contradictory? I mean, marriage is a long term commitment so to say that you wouldn't hesitate to back out if you weren't happy, wouldn't that suggest giving up without fighting? As such can that really be characterized as taking it seriously? Or you meant after a long period of unhappiness? Or a short period of extreme unhappiness?

I understand that nobody can predict what will happen in their future will certainty but as human beings with autonomy we can take proactively positive decisions to increase the probability of future happiness. Surely a better message adults could be sending to the younger generation is to have the courage to follow through with ones commitments (religion totally aside)? So do increased divorce (apparently they are actually decreasing) rates really suggest something bad isn't going on? or is this romantic liberalism prevailing?

@noModifierNeeded I mean I wouldn't stay in a relationship if something was beyond fixing.

• Speaking for myself I took my vows very seriously.

My husband & I love each other very much & we've committed our lives to each other.

• Given the types of men these days get real. I dont want to get married.

• Marriage is stupid and unnecessary, so I don't see the point either.

• When a man is on his deathbed who is his first contact?

• I would take it very seriously.

• Fuck marriage.

What Guys Said 16

• Marriage is a fucking joke.
    Where I am, men are running away from marriage. It's supposed to be about love, right?
    Fuck that. It's about money.
    Women in my country have huge, expensive fairy-tale weddings, pump out a kid, divorce the father, and take away his money and children by court order.
    Love, right? No. Marriage is a stepping stone to divorce, which makes a woman financially secure and a man miserable.
    "I do" is the biggest lie told on the planet.

• Not serious at all girl pull a ring on me I'd tell her " are you serious?"

• Any vow the has " 'Til death do us part " in it is something to be taken very seriously. Don't get married if you aren't prepared to be committed to a person until the day you die.

• Divorce is decreasing. It had its peak but has been steadily decreasing.

I would be just as loyal to someone I'm in a relationship with then I would be in a marriage. I wouldn't suddenly become more dedicated or anything.

• Sort of a formality. As the great JC himself said, 'what you bind on earth is bound in heaven. What you loosen on earth is loosed in heaven.' I prefer his wisdom and compassion to the rigid strictures of religion.

• Hahahaah I know right

• Divorces are not skyrocketing xD.
    I would take the vow seriously, and i would only marry after like 5 years of relationship with the same woman.

• Marry for life.

• Very seriously, So I dont talk about it.

• considering i can't even get a girlfriend, how would i get married?
    personally, if i ever get married i would take the vow very seriously, but i am 99.99999999999999% sure that will never happen.

• Very serious definitely

• The vow isn't the important thing, the paperwork to make it legally official is.

• I don't know about you but my father teached me that marriage and vows are important

• Actually, divorce rates are on the decline, at least in the USA. I attribute that to two things: Fewer people are getting married, and people are waiting until later in life to get married.

I think marriage is an outdated concept that doesn't work in this modern era. I would consider marriage if I met someone who really blew me away, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

• Highly serious. One of the most serious things in my life.

Also, would you like to help me on my question?

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2125027-this-married-young-lady-told-me-i-am-attractive-would-date-me-if

• Seriously.