I am black, my husband is white. Why does it piss people off that we say our kids are "biracial"?

My kids are 5 and 6. I am very dark, and my husband is white; however somehow my kids came out pale. I am constantly asked " Are you the mother?" when i take them out shopping with me. I am mistaken for the nanny constantly. Not sure how this happened because I am dark as night. Anyway, I was discussing kids with my new coworker and I mentioned that i have "biracial" kids. She got angry and said " they are black" because of the one drop rule. I didn't care to argue because i think it is foolish and unnecessary. She kind of shamed me because i am not "teaching my kids to be black and the struggle of being black in america". Honestly, I really don't want my kids to defined by skin color. I want them to be the brightest, smartest, most successful, and all around good people. I don't want them making excuses for themselves and feeling sorry for themselves. They should just work hard, be good people, and remember that daddy and mommy loves them.

My husband and I consider them biracial because they are a combination of both our DNA. I feel strange denying my husband and saying my kids are "black". I mean in my younger years i actually met biracial adults who were ashamed of their white parents. For example, one biracial man (with a white father) expressed his dislike of white men. Seemed very self hating considering his father is white. ... I would be pissed if my kids looked fully white and they were considered "white". I would be like " wtf, i could have sworn i gave birth to you".

Anyways, she went into how society will treat them a certain way, etc etc. I just feel like people are going to talk shit and start shit regardless. I need to just teach these kids both their histories and let them grow up to be prosperous people. If certain people in society can't fully accept these kids for who they are , then they really don't need to be in their life.

Any opinions? Bring on the hate mail!!! lol I feel it coming!!!

Most Helpful Guy

• it might because
    racism rising cause of media
    and the ignorance of certain people
    you want less issues say my child is human

if you are ready to take them on
    SAY WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT HUN ITS YOUR CHILD!!!

cause i believe in GOD and the bible and i have studied ancient history for 3 to 4 years and it all connects back to that book

from zeus
    to cronos
    to thor
    the annunaki

all of it leads back to that book
    then i still have the visual evidence that people think is fake cause they haven't traveled like i have

there are people who have traveled WAY more then me
    and they find things that i can't even explain
    its just weird

Most Helpful Girl

• I think its important to inform your kids of both their races and do let them know that not everyone will see them as both but one or the other. They are Biracial, and thats okay I'm pretty sure some way or another you can tell they are! Just raise them to be respectful and know that they can't control other peoples thoughts and words.

What Guys Said 10

• Your kids ARE a combination of you two, maybe saying mixed would appeal to more people, but with the theme of races, there are lot of weird hate going on around.
    I'm mostly don't like to use the term races or racism, cause at the end we are all just humans. Clarifying that you can be white, black, yellow, green, purple, brown, whatever color and you are still human.

• Although i dont like the idea of interracial marriages
    Those kids are yours, and his.
    They are biracial

Not white black and not black

they are American, and when you raise them, they will be good American citizens

hate will always go your way. Just give your kids love

• Was your coworker Black? Noone believe in that one drop rule nonsense anymore it only existed in SOME areas and that was what, 60+ years ago? Tell her to get with the times.

Your kids aren't Black they are biracial and you even said they look pale, absolutely absurd of her to try and tell you what you should call your kids

• Well , I'm having biracial children myself and just love it. She's half black and is just a wonderful person too. I do understand what your saying though... And I'm not ashamed one way or another. I'm Latin and considered caucation.

If you are white and your girlfriend is biracial, your kids will not be biracial, its simple math, come on

@ikissedtheskyonce But I'm not white , and maybe you're right. Truethfully I've never have used that word , so sorry about that. Good call !! Oops

• because some people are ignorant asswipes

• "teaching my kids to be black''... yeeeeeaaaaah... terrible idea. to me-"teaching my kids to be black'' translates ''teaching your kids to be ghetto thugs''-y'know: watching that rap garbage, showing their underwear, etc.

How disgustingly ignorant

No I don't listen to country music. Sex sells I suppose

@mishmonroe nah. It mentions "memory crash"... one guess what kinda substance you can smok that causes a loss of memory

• They're your kids
    Call them purple if you want

• Sounds like you have the right idea. Forget about the haters.

• nobody cares. don't be oversensitive.

• " they are black" because of the one drop rule. I didn't care to argue because i think it is foolish and unnecessary. She kind of shamed me because i am not "teaching my kids to be black and the struggle of being black in america"

i had never heard of that before. thats racism. it reminds me of Hitler and the Nazis. they would focus on racial purity, the same way this person tells you.

what does she mean teach them how to be black? their ethnicity cannot be thought.

you dont have to raise your kids a certain way how society wants them, raise your kids like your kids. its that simple.

What Girls Said 11

• Sounds to me like they are bi-racial. Anyone who says otherwise has their own agenda. Your kids should know this term and be proud of what it means.

• Good for you! We're all human. If they turn out happy, successful, smart, well-mannered, etc. and have an appreciation for their heritage, that's all any parent could want.

• You sound like a good mother. If i was a mother I would want to teach my children the same values of life. The best part of being a parent is that you are their teacher, not society. If society has a problem with it they can kindly fuck off. You do you, your kids sound like they have an amazing mother, do what you feel is best for them.

• I think you should call your children "tiny humans" and the haters "not worth my time".

"Come along tiny humans!" She calls to her children, as she stalks away elegantly, head held high!

• They are biracial, that's what they are. Don't be ashamed to call them that and don't worry about what other people say.

• ONE DROP RULE BABY GIRL

• Wow. That chick sounds like a major bitch. "Let me judge your kids because I'm stuck int he old racist ways of early America because I don't have the intelligence to just not be an asshole." Call your kids whatever they want. and tell that woman that she must be a very kind slave owner with those beliefs. (Going on anon because I already know that someone here has that old timey view and will be none too pleased to be accused of being a slave owner, my bad xD)

• With all due respect, I don't think you're being realistic about how your children will be viewed by society. You seem so sensitive and defensive that you're not processing the truthfulness of her statement. Regardless of what you call them, the reality is that we live in a racist world where a majority of people are instantly going to classify them as 'black' and some people will even stereotype them and look down on them the same way they do with other black people.

• if I had kids with a black man I wouldn't say anything to my children about races, I would let them grow up thinking it's perfectly normal to have a white mother and a black father just as it is to have a black mother and Asian farther or Asian mother and white father because it IS
    i think race is not an issue for children unless the adults around them make them so

• I have a good friend who is African and her husband is white, they have 3 kids (6,3 & 1). I've never heard anything abotu people having an issue with her calling her kids bi-racial but she has said that people usually assume she is the Nanny since they are much closer to his color then hers.

• The old drop rule is outdated and a thing of the past. Whites say they want blacks to forget about slavery, but why do so many whites cling on to old rules used back then when blacks were segregated?