Guys, what would you think about taking on your future wife's last name?

So here's my predicament. I come from a very wealthy and influential family who has lived in the same town for 200+ years. We've been CEO's, surgeons, war generals, the whole nine yards. We've also managed to keep the same last name for these 200+ years. It's almost an honorary title: a person from around here would recognize it instantly. my dilemma is that, unfortunately, I, a girl, am the only heir to the property. It's taken a huge mental toll on me knowing that one day our last name will be erased from the region and it'll be my fault when it happens. My friends and parents don't mean to upset me I'm sure, but sometimes they make comments like "oh this is the last Williams" (not real last name) or "It's kind of sad that we won't be Williams anymore" and it'll make me feel incredibly guilty and upset like I did something wrong. I already feel guilty enough because of how I want to be a music teacher instead of a surgeon or anything like that, added onto the fact that I'm the first child who's never gone to an elite private school. Sorry this kind of turned into a rant haha, but at this point the last name's the only thing I've got going for me. Knowing this information, what would you guys think about taking on your wife's last name? Would it change if it were a special case like this? I know I probably have the "poor little rich girl" vibe going on, but as superficial as it sounds the whole last name thing means a lot to me.

10

Most Helpful Guy

• Why don't you keep your own name? Why do you have to take your husband's name? My wife kept her own name when we got married.

And hell no would I take on my wife's name. I don't care what kind of family she came from, that shit is emasculating. Next thing you know I start wearing dresses and become a housewife.

What Guys Said 9

• You can keep your own last name and your husband keep his. The kids would just end up with his last name or (fathers last name)-(your last name). There's multiple ways to work around it.

none of those are equal.

I do have a better solution, already inherently stated: Children are individuals. Surnames are about person ownership and nothing else, nothing more eloquent. That said, each parent gives them a name (given name) and that is their unique name. Then, instead of TELLING THEM (you're a Miller!) who they are... you'll be more inclined to find out and their name will reflect what they are: Individuals. Dropping the surname is the only solution because it was a false right in the first place and false rights cannot BE fixed, only dropped.

• Yeah, you're not making any sense. Why does your husband need your last name. Just giving your kids your last name would solve your problem. I actually don't have my moms or dads last name. I have my maternal Grandpas last name actually.

• The husband doesn't need to; the kids need your last name.

• I'd take her last name just to be different.

• as a betamale. it wpuld not bother me at all if i took your name instead of mine. marriage and the relationship is whats important

• I wouldn't let my kids take on any last name other than mine. I would be fine with them taking a girl's last name as their middle name, and tell them to have their kids have that same middle name too. That's as much as I could do for your situation.

• It kind of depend on what culture you are married to. Since I'm an Asian, for me is really don't matter if I have a English last name since I had Japanese and Chinese family name.

• I wouldn't do that. Kids would be taking my name too.
    Plenty of other guys that would bow down, I'm sure.

• I wouldn't take your last name but if you wanted to keep it that would be fine by me