Why do parents want their son/daughter to be married with kids?

Older folks make it seem like marriage & parenthood are the two greatest things humans can ever experience. My parents have been married for over three decades and they want me to have the same lifestyle. A lot of married couples encourage other people to get married. What makes married life with kids so great?

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly I have asked this myself as to my parents ask me all the time why i haven't gotten married, i think part of it is because both my sisters are married (but they are lucky) and I'm not just yet. I think its because your parents just want you happy and not alone for the rest of you life.

What Guys Said 12

• If you don't believe getting married and having your own kids will make you happy then simply just don't. You should know what makes you feel happy, and not just do what will make THEM happy.

These days I wouldn't bother with that idea anymore as nothing is actually getting better and the stability had been lost, so I think things are eventually only going to get worse and worse and more and more difficult to the point that no one can deny it anymore. And because of that I really don't see the point of dragging another person into this kind of a world at all, because they may not like the outcome of it and may not have want to come into this world at all if they had known and realized how bad things can turn out for them.

• Biologically speaking, a creature has truly succeeded not when they have children, but when they have grandchildren. It is instinctive to want your progeny to have progeny of their own.

• Because they know how your values will change as you get older. Compare what ou want most in life at the age of ten to what you most want at the age of 20. They know that pretty much regardless of what you think you want now, when you get older, you're going to crave a family, something real, as opposed to meaningless, plastic, corporate crap. And your parents also know the older you are when you try to get started, the less options you'll have and the lower you'll have to settle most likely. The ideal men for starting a family: older, educated, successful men, are not looking for the same qualities in their mates. They want younger, prettier, and less experienced. And your parents don't know how to say this nicely, but you're not gonna be pretty forever, and you don't want to be 35 and competing with girls 18-24 for the same men.

• I have been raised in this traditional way and I know it sounds great to me. And I will follow their tradition. Of getting married for life , having only one wife and having 2 or more children You follow the American culture and I will follow our Indian culture.

• It's what made them happy, and now they want their own kids to be happy. Personally I don't want either, I just want love, no marriage or kids. But to each their own.

• No parent wants their lineage to die out

• being married is good but having kids isn't great at all. especially when the kid keeps the couples from each other, we might as well not be married and not together. im so lonely. and sexually neglected. it hurts. some parents just need to shut up.

• They just want grandchildren. They're being selfish.

• Legacy.

That and it fills in the void of their own kids being grown up and independent after so many years of looking after them.

• What makes it bad?

when did I say it's bad?

• I dunno, honestly my father regrets it

• There's a lot of people that believe "that's the way it is", always has been and always will be so therefore you're "weird" if you don't follow that. Something must be wrong with you right? lol Bottom line most of the time is parents just want you to be happy. Unfortunately people don't understand that you can be perfectly happy single or unmarried. Sometimes it's selfishness on their part, they want grandchildren etc.

What Girls Said 7

• I think a lot of people equate marriage and kids to happiness. And that's simply great that they see it that way. But not everyone wants to get married and wants to have kids. I think these people are well-intentioned. They just want you to be happy. And maybe in their definition of happiness includes marriage and kids. But that doesn't mean your definition needs to include those things.

I am in this situation right now. Now I do want to get married and have kids. But I am perpetually single. And I'm having a heck of a time getting a guy to want to be with me. I think I'm too independent and that is a turn off. It's not my lack of wanting a guy. It's the fact that I am in survival mode.

So I think you need to have a sit down with these friends and let the know what your definition of happiness is and let them know it's okay if it's not the same as theirs.

• Well marriage and parenthood is one of the greatest things humans can experience. What the problem is with modern day people with all these options available to us, they no longer see the importance of marriage, family and obligation. Marriage and parenthood is very beautiful. But its how people use those experiences. Its just like with sex, it can be amazing to most, but use it to hurt people and you turned it into something evil. Marriage was considered important in order for you to get the benefits and things you want and need now. Now that you no longer need to be marriage to have these things, people are singing a different tune.

I say that you have a great and amazing family for sticking to family values and how God have commanded for us to be. But if you personally feel that you don't want kids or don't want to marry, then don't. Their only showing you what live truly looks like. Many people survive and live longer married than single.

I'd say that people today are trained to be selfish, for themselves and not understanding importance of belonging to unity. It's sad.

@wolfie12 That's exactly what the problem is. Anything for your happiness is a doctrine to brainwash and conditioning people. At the end of the day somebody ends up hurt.

• Because the desire to carry on your lineage/genetics is something hardwired into the minds of 99% of individuals. (not just parents. I wouldn't see much sense in life if I were living it solely and only for my own benefit. The fact that my DNA and by proxy, memories of me, will be lost completely a decade or so after my death is super depressing in my opinion.)

• My son is a happily married father which is exactly what I wanted for him. We want our kids not to be lonely or miss the joys of parenthood.

• you're continuing your bloodline and its something great

• They think you'll be happier being married and having your own family. Also them wanting grand kids or bragging rights about you.
    Some people think life is not worth living unless you have a family of your own.

• Because they hate their children and want to punish them... and keep their genes in the world.