Is it true that if you marry a muslim person (and you aren't one yourself) you have to become one?

I heard this from my mom (and i'm agnostic) and I really don't want to change my religion. I actually like a Muslim person right now (but i'm FAR from getting married) so just to clarify, is that true?

Most Helpful Guy

• What people before me have described are the ways of very conservative Muslims. Many Muslims marry non-Muslims and the non-Muslim doesn't have to convert. Considering you are from America I doubt he would care that you're not Muslim, his family might but I doubt he would.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, it depends on the person. Islam doesn't approve of the followers forcing anyone to practice Islam, that's forbidden. People should come to Islam of their own free will. Obviously, some people pervert this, even in minor ways. Many Muslim men would expect that you convert, many would be fine with you having your own religion. Like I said, it really depends on the person and his own belief adn interpretation and would be based on things like how conservative or traditional he is. I would think that as long as you were both clear on your religious beliefs before entering into a relationship and you stood firm by your beliefs and accepted the others', there would be no problem.

What Guys Said 15

• I've got a few muslim friends , most of them are pretty much locked into arranged marriages , with a few exceptions of dating non-muslims who converted into Islam pretty quick , there are a few more liberal sorts who don't expect his partner to convert but they are not married so I don't know what will happen down the line.
    The liberalisation movement of Islam is a pretty new one.

• A man can marry a non-muslim but vice versa isn't the case. That's because the religious "bloodline" in most religious - including islam - goes along with the father.

That being said, culturally it is expected that the wife also converts and has to obey the muslim mans commands.

I have to add: Muslim man marrying non-muslim woman is only viable if she believes in a single god if I recall correctly.

Believing in the single god should be allowed. Being agnostic on the other hand I don't know.

That being said - if it comes that far your best bet would be to actually ask the guy in question yourself and about his views.

Alright, thank you :)

• I believe they cannot marry someone who isn't Muslim... so you would have to become one before even marrying them. But I possess only a rudimentary understanding of their religion.

• I think our parents mislead us cause God rest my moms soul she misled
    me for quite sometime in believing the same way as your mom taught you
    but i don't judge anyone on their religion and most of all i accept them and
    i do expect them to treat me the same way in return.

• In the quran it states that only men are allowed to date non muslim women because of "the deficiency of the womans mind", referring to women as mentally weaker than men and thus more easily willing to change her religion without good reason. They would of course expect you to believe. If you had a child, they would also be muslim by birth in islam

• well the Quran is not the word of GOD so they believe a lie
    basically just what there parents say, most Muslims don't even study there own book

now i have studied the Quran myself which is why i can make this statement

my advice don't go out with him
    he couldn't prove his case anyway

prove his case?

my bible says to prove all things
      basically he is saying TEST ME
      put me the bible itself to the test

so i put everything i read now to the test
      and the Quran falls short

• muslim man can marry christian or jew women
    muslim man must allow her to practice her religion

thats not an opinion. thats how the religion

• There was this Muslim girl that liked me when I was younger I liked her back she looked like a foreign Beyonce
    Lol she was beautiful
    But I heard about the religion thing and it changed

• Nope you can practise your relgion normally even if you're married to a Muslim man

• You would have to be devoid of all self-respect to go down that road in the first place, So what does it matter.

• No, but their family would likely be pissed off at them.

• If you are girl you have to convert to islam if you are guy you dont have to change it. also your child have to be muslim but it realy depends on the guy's faith. If he is not religious it is alright.

• Depends on the guy

• No lol, my cousin is married with christian woman and they get along well.

• Yes you do to marry them. My uncle had to convert when he married his 2nd wife.

What Girls Said 6

• No. But as one of the main goals of islam is growth, if you have kids he will expect that they're raised muslim. That said, some muslim men will expect you to convert after you get married, just so raising kids will be easier.

• Yeah, I think you have to be one of them. I don't blame you. I love my religion, too. I wouldn't change it for anything. 😅

are you an atheist/agnostic or do you actually have a legit religion?
      i just couldn't see myself in my 20s and living life a completely different way. it'll be hard to adjust to.

Ok
      Long distance relationships do work, if both the guy, and girl put in effort.
      But in your case, enjoy the moment. 😊

if it actually happens, then yea i will. :)

• heard about it yea...

• Most muslim families are very strict about the religion of their future son/daughter-in-laws.

• No that all depends on what muslim you marry

• It is not true at all. My brother is with a muslim woman and he has never been asked to convert or anything like that.
    It might depend on the family, but it's definitely not a generality.