Do you think someone should go to jail for cheating on their husband/wife?

It's an odd question, but I find it very interesting because if they are married and if they had children then cheating will result in damage for both their children and themselves. Do you think there should be consequences for their actions?

• Yes, the person should be in jail for what they done.
  • No, because cheating means she/he doesn't love me, and going to jail for it will prevent them, so how would I know they love me?
  • Other.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, I don't. But I do believe that whichever partner cheated should have no rights to any mutually shared property, etc, when the relationship falls apart.
    Why should the person whose act of betrayal ended things benefit financially, at the detriment to their betrayed spouse?

Most Helpful Girl

• Do I think cheating is bad? Yes! and the cheater should face the consequenties for cheating but I don't think they should go to jail for it tho

What would you suggest?

O you mean other alternatives haha
      What did you had in mind then besides jail time haha because I got nothing😂

Thanks for mho😊

What Guys Said 25

• No, that would be too much.

• I don't see how one of them going to jail would be good for their children.

It's not for a long period of time, at least for a few months to get their act together. After all, they had taken the responsibility of marriage and children, shouldn't they pay for their actions?

I still think that jail is unnecessary. Maybe more severe laws for breaking the "contract" + divorce would be enough headache.

• Who is gonna get married afyer that law?

Interesting idea. Id preferandatory counseling... because something is wrong. The person who cheats may not be the only source of the problem.

• That's a really stupid reason to put someone in jail. Cheating is entirely between the people involved.

I understand, but I do believe the person should at least pay for their actions. Sometimes it's hard for someone to change their behaviour that is damaging everybody around them, if person accepts the responsibility in marriage and to become a mother/father, they should at least take heed. You can not walk half of the path and stray away

They pay for the actions, but that's up to the partner. If I were to cheat on the woman I love, I pay because she will leave me. At best, if have to earn her trust again. If a divorce splits up a family, the children should be with whoever is best for to care for them.

• Yes, cheating should be considered as a crime.

• Consequences but not jail, I am not paying taxes for them to be in jail.

What kind of consequences would you suggest?

Could be fined, could have to do community service. Go to classes to become a better person maybe. All three? So many possibilities.

Very interesting suggestions, I'd go with all three

• We'd go broke building jails, and trying to find replacement workers.

• The cheaters should have no direct punishment for their cheating.
    Instead the person who was cheated on should be given immunity from slander charges. I've heard before where someone who was cheated on made a public facebook post denouncing the cheater and all and the cheater tried to charge them for slander.

Public humiliation is a much more effective tactic than fines or jail.

• if someone cheats with children, and they break up, the person who was cheated on should keep the children and the cheater should have to pay child support. a man should not lose a child for the sole reason of being a man either but if a man cheats the women gets the child. I never got how a women can cheat, divorce and still be able to keep the child?

• No that would be expensive and near impossible to fairly enforce.
    Taxes would go up and ether a high proportion of pepole would be wrongly convicted or very few pepole would and there wouldn't be much point.

• No, that's idiotic.

• No
    I didn't pick your option of no because i have no idea what you're trying to say
    The answer is just no

• Nothing at all. We already send too much people to jail.

• No.

Don't allow Christianity morality too govern democracy.

• Heck no that's crazy in a bad way

• No consequences. If they have children together, he gets to pay child support.

• Yea, they already have plenty of moral crimes, what's one more?

• No, we're not in ancient ages anymore

I can understand that, and I may not go to the length of putting someone in jail for their actions of cheating, but in my opinion, I find it important for them to get involved in an institution that helps them to realize their reasonability. The truth is the essence of mental problems, depression, poverty.. etc often derive from our well-being in the family union, and the outcome of a parent cheating is quite detrimental to a child and to their partner. If you know theory attachment, you'll understand my point of view more.

Ok, let's see what happens when someone fuck your wife, or your wife fucks a stranger.

@LEIGHX but if I were to judge such a person, what should I know about their actual intentions? Only their significant other might know best about them, but they'd not be in the position to judge them.

• Are you from india by any chance?

• Yea sometimes

• yes but I don't think it should be jail

• No because that's not the kind of thing the law should get involved in.

• I think they should be killed. But jail would be fine too.

• Yes if a woman dares to have pre-marital sex she should be killed

The jail time for adultery should not be applicable to men... it's women who need to be controlled the most

What rubbish!! Stop spreading lies, woman.

ALL professions and educational streams were banned for women. YOU chose the shitty subjects because of your brain defects. Granted, women study medicine and law... but they make highly inefficient doctors and have completely skewed the laws in their favor.

Women have been allowed to study math/science for over a freaking century now. You're a disgusting liar who needs to be controlled!!

Looks like bunnies are hopping again

• No. That's stupid.

A society that would constantly accept that behaviour would eventually lead to cheating being a normal thing to do, don't you think? Maybe going to jail is too much, but shouldn't there be at least consequences?

There already are conseq

What Girls Said 9

• The government should never get involved in relationships like that. Cheating is horrible and unacceptable on a moral level, especially if you have children, but the betrayal is between the two people involved with each other.

• I say no solely because yes its betrayal but it shouldn't be handled in the law. Unless under circumstances where the person was caught cheating and then the partner did violent acts or vice versa.

• if we put cheaters in jail it would be ridiculous. jails are over crowded already. it would be considered a petty crime and at most get community service but i think that would still go too far

How about an institution to help cheaters to become more self-aware of their responsibilities that they had put themselves in?

The truth is the essence of mental problems, depression, poverty.. etc often derive from our well-being in the family union. A healthy functional home can cause most of the problems we are facing now to decrease. I can understand your point of view, but to prevent future calamity, in my opinion, we should focus more on marital unions and family relations.

i understand where you are coming from, what i think should happen instead is a system like the catholic church have in place (i am not religious) where they question you as a couple and see if you are a good match and the other partners morals and such

• People who say that cheating must be a crime are heartbroken, insecure and bitter.
    I've never been cheated on , but even If I was I would never want my partner to go to jail for that.
    Laws are made to solve the main problems of society not to invade people's personal space. (They still do sometimes but whatever...)
    It is the most idiotic thing that I've ever heard.

The truth is the essence of mental problems, depression, poverty.. etc often derive from our well-being in the family union. A healthy functional home can cause most of the problems we are facing now to decrease. I can understand your point of view, but to prevent future calamity, in my opinion, we should focus on improving marital unions from breaking their vows. Going to jail is perhaps a bit too much, but in my opinion, there will be negative consequences happening from cheating to their partner, children, and even public's perception of what in marriage is. I came across a few people who are beginning to view cheating as okay because of its normality nowadays. Now, having that perception isn't typically going to help this world to function properly. If someone is incapable of making a commitment they should distance themselves from marriage, pregnancy and public announcement of their promiscuity. When you look at the situation more deeply you begin to notice the outcome.

• I love how everyone's saying 'he' cheats in the comments or she should keep the kids and he pays child support

• This can't actually happen

• What the hell I just read?

• Sounds too extreme

• The whore that fuck my ex is the one who should go to prison, especially if she knew my man was taken already and engaged , so the fucking whore should pay the consequences.