Which side of the family should pay more for the wedding?

In some cultures, the groom pays large sums of assets just to get the bride's parents' approval to marry the bride. In exchange, the bride's family sends large sums of assets to the groom's house as a wedding gift. The wealthier the two families are, the more lavish the gifts. Poor families may not give anything, because they have nothing to give and allow the youngsters to get married with their own earnings; and wedding gifts may be as simple as common household furniture.

Guys, if you have a daughter, then would you start saving up money for her wedding day as soon as she is born, or if she chooses not to marry, the money is still saved up for college/future life?

• Groom
  • Bride

Most Helpful Guy

• Expensive weddings are a total waste. Wouldn't pay for, ever, not even for my daughter. $2,000 for floral centerpieces for the tables? Hell no. "But, those tables need them as badly as they need decorated white tablecloths with a very high thread count!" How about no to both?

Women who spend frivolously will not be wife candidates.

Most Helpful Girl

• "B" for Better to Talk to the Groom's side, especially this Day in Age when the Economy is so "B" for Bad.
    Both parties Should Have a Helpful Nand where Everyone, hun, may Stand.
    I have even Seen it where the Bride and Groom will even Pitch in with no Pitch Fork about it.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• 23d

Thank you for the Vote of Confidence. xx

• 22d

I think the GirlsAskGuys algorithm chooses MHO.

• 22d

lol!!! Of course and when I say "Your own Vote of Confidence," is When the Asker will Appear Here, dear. xx

What Guys Said 24

• I don't think families should pay for weddings. This is a party that's thrown by the couple and should be paid for by the couple out of joint funds.

• Lol yeah over my dead body would I bribe the brides family for approval.

Here in the states in the depends on the family sometimes both sides help to pay a little bit for the wedding other times the bride and groom pay for it themselves.

As for the gifts we give, we give practical gifts that the family will actually use, like furniture, appliances etc.

• I have a daughter and I put the money away for her education. Not a second of thought was ever given to saving anything for her wedding. That was on her and her husband, just like mine was on me and my wife.

• there is no set rule for who should pay. it should be who wants to pay, and if they can afford it.

• None. I wouldn't pay a damn thing, My kids and their partner to be should be able to afford their own wedding.
    Am from middle east and we had some certain traditions that me and my wife ignored, so we both worked and saved money for our own wedding and we did everything we wanted. None of our parents had to pay although they offer help a lot but we did fine enough.

• Haha what the hell is this... it's 2016

• why does every question have to involve gender? its obviously whoever is in a better financial situation

• or just maybe don't spend thousands on a wedding?

• Nowadays I would only save for her college tuition as divorce rates are so high they can pay for their own wedding.

• Price of a tuxedo to rent: $200
    Price of a wedding dress: $25,000
    Who do you think should pay?

• fuck your rich wedding bullshit. Get married at the courthouse

• Whichever is more financially comfortable pays more, common sense

• Richer one.. 😎

• How about paying equally? ever thought of that?

• The bride's side should.

• Every man owns a suit or can rent a tux. You want a wear-once dress that can cost as much as a car or house down payment? Then your family pays.

• the one who is richer

• Maybe both sides should pay

• I don't really care.

• Honestly, who cares about having an expensive wedding? Making it a material thing is wrong to begin with.

I will almost certainly not save any money for the explicit purpose of children's weddings.
    As for who should pay more for it; whoever feels they can afford it. Traditionally, if we look in history, the groom's family paid for the wedding but the bride's family would in turn pay a rather substantial sum of money for the bride.

• It's more traditional for the bride's farther to pay for it all.
    I think that is changing in the modern times.

If my daughter gets married I will pay for the whole thing it's only money after all.

I be insulted if the groom or his family offered to help pay.

• They should pay for their own wedding. When I have kids I would never pay for theirs.

• If I had a daughter or a son I would probably set aside $15 000 for a wedding if they need more than that I'm not paying for it that because that's what my wedding cost

• I think it should be equal. But if I had to choose, I would say the bride's family. The guy buys the ring, proposes, and is generally expected to support her, so there should be some contribution from the bride's side.

What Girls Said 17

• Honestly it's a tradition that the girls family should pay but in many cases (such as mine) where the girls family has no money other arrangements should be made.

• Traditionally it's the bride's family that pays for the wedding so they get to invite more guests that they know. If the groom's parents want to invite special people then they can pay for their costs. Nowadays, it seems that couples pay for the wedding themselves. My husband and I paid for ours.

• In my country, traditionally the the bride and her family pay for the majority of the wedding and full reception but the groom and family pay for the engagement ring, wedding rings, bouquets and corsages priests fee and rehearsal dinner etc.

• It would be nice if it were even but I guess it does make sense for the bride's family to pay more since the dress and accessories are pretty expensive. Plus most of the wedding is due to the creativity and imagination of the bride. The bride and groom hopefully plan and think of ideas together, but yeah.

• Why can't they pay equal amounts?

• You're doing something wrong if you start saving for your daughter's wedding as soon as she's born- the quality of a celebration doesn't depend on how much you spend on it.

• They both pay equally. Though it makes more sense if the bride pays more because more focus goes on the bride, the wedding dress, bridesmaids, hair, manicure, makeup, and it's stereo typically a girl's dream to have the perfect wedding.

• Honestly, I think the couple should pay for most of their own wedding.. but both sets of parents should help out if they can

• In my opinion, it should be both bride and groom save up for their own wedding. The parents should not have to suffer for something that they will not benefit from.

• The girls family if the family is paying

• Whoever has a better financial situation.

• The couple

• neither? it's not their wedding?

• Equal

• This question is literally insignificant. It's obvious BOTH should pay equally. Wtf? 🙃🙃

• Both familes or The couple should pay for the wedding.

• Groom