What kind of man would you want your daughter to marry?

Guys- are you that type of man?
Girls- is your partner that type of man?

What Guys Said 78

• I have 3 criteria:
    1) the kind who will be loyal, no matter what
    2) the kind that is in control of his temper and understands how to be polite
    3) the kind who is willing to work hard to provide.

These criteria see her taken care of, loved, and in a situation that should ne stable.

He doesn't need to be smart, or rich, or upper class, or whatever. I don't care if he is a plumbers assistant with an IQ of 85.
    As long as he treats her well and makes her happy, and is willing to work to see her taken care of, I'm ok with it.

• 12d

Are you that type?

• 12d

yes. i never cheat or betray, i am not governed by my emotions but instead govern them, and i am willing to work hard to make sure my family has their needs met.

• 12d

Marry me now lol

• Rofl. No. I'm not that type of man. I wanted a daughter, as a teenager. If I had one, I would want her to marry a multi-fauceted-strong man with a good job, high-tier skills, social acumen, intelligence, and ignorant in all the right places and knowledgeable in all the right places. A man who was health conscious and takes exercise seriously and semi-religiously. I wouldn't mind that kind of man raising my grandkids. Basically a total drone, but a good quality drone. I'm not a drone.

I would be very verbal if the guy didn't meet my minimum requirements. Ultimately, she could choose whomever she wanted. Even if it was some fatass, lazy slob who was just a parasite or some criminal. But I wouldn't have to approve, condone, or aid.

Of course, I also don't believe in marriage. But, small risk to women. If I had a child, I would raise them to believe that they would be better off without marrying and just staying with someone until it became difficult. But, if she did, wouldn't make a fuss.

• She could do a lot worse than someone like me, that's for sure. I'm not the perfect husband at all, but I don't ever abuse my partner or hurt her in any way. That puts me way up toward the head of the class.

• I hope she would find someone who loves her and accepts her for who she is as a person. They should be making each other happy and encouraging the other to be the best possible person they can be.

I do try my best to accept people for who they are and encourage them to do better and accomplish those things they want to

• kind, considerate, respectful, honest, loyal, intelligent... to name a few

• I want my daughter to marry a man that buys his father-in-law a lot of stuff . ;)

• Some guy who isn't stupid. In which the definition is doing "stupid things". Where "stupid things" mean inherently self-destructive things, like alcoholism and drugs and stuff, associating with lowlife criminals of that sort.

I wouldn't want to do anything with that kind of stuff. Otherwise, all that's important is that they click.

• I'm not gonna restrict the people my daughter is "allowed to associate" with. This is what causes dissent between a child and the parent. The child has been socialized their entire lives around the institutions of her parents she understands the central values of the adults in her life but that does not mean I expect her to conform to them. I will give my child the skills to synthesize her own values but also the analytical acuity to understand why her parents hold they values they currently have.

It's these external behavior modulators (punishment, negative reinforcement) that prevent the child ever gaining confidence to make reliable decisions themselves. I will not dictate the parameters of someone's life like that. But allowing them to make decisions early on they will gain confidence in their ability to excel as an individual.

• I would want her to marry a man who treats her well, respects her as an equal and is 100% committed to her.

• I very much am marriage material. If I had a daughter and was engaged to a man like me, I'd be very happy. :)

• If I had a daughter, I would want her to marry someone similar to me but also one who is compatible with her wants and needs too.

• A man who makes 100k a year at least and can support her gucci main clothes, can afford her 6 inch stiletto heels. And all my girl would need is her GED she don't need no man who is any less. My princess daughter with her bitchy princess mentality only needs the best and no less. And ain't no ho gonna be able to shame her about her baby daddy not being able to pay her child support bills cause it will never resort to that.

• 12d

Why can't Disney make a movie about that kind of prince charming? :D

• 12d

@zorro8888 Yeah I know those masochists and me and you should produce that movie.
      I wouldn't be a racist and kill of the black character either like those evil hollywood corporations.
      If I had a son I'd treat him like the special prince that he is :3.

• I wouldn't want any men near my daughter -_- ( kidding ) but if she were to marry ( when I have one ) I would hope she would find a honorable, strong and good, hard working man who was christian just like me, my father, my grandfathers and great grandfathers.

And of course all men will be tested to make sure they are right for her.

• A man like her father haha. I say that because I'd never want bad things for her and I'd make everything to maker her happy. If her husband does it too, I believe that the future is promising.

• The list includes, but is not limited to:
    1. The same race, with preference for blond hair and blue or green eyes.
    2. An IQ of not less than 140.
    3. A degree, or trade qualification.
    4. Military experience.
    5. A student of a martial art.
    6. A strong sense of duty and family values (which would come from point numbers four and five).
    7. A good physical specimen.
    8. A fellow Deplorable.

• A guy who is at least half as cool as me. I don't expect 100% because that's setting an almost unachievable standard of excellence.

• I am so very much daughter worthy, fathers love me

• One who will make her happy and at the same time not be a horrible murderer that would be amazing thanks

• I would want her to marry a good Christian man

• My daughter's life isn't about what I want for her, If I feel I done my best as a father to her, then rest is up to her. She must make the decisions of choosing a man who is right for her, cause at the end of the day, I am not the one marrying her. When I am dead and gone, and I will no longer be able to protect her, but I while I am still alive can only do my best to advise her, and pass my knowledge and experiences down her, how she uses that, is up to her.

My roles as father, is to prepare her for the outside world, and not tell her what to do with her life, that's out of my control.

• 12d

The role of a parent, shouldn't be about controlling your child, and telling them how to live their lives, it should be about, preparing them for the outside world, give them the best possible chance of surviving the outside world. If you have done that, then you have done your job as a parent.

• If I had a daughter, I would want her to marry a guy that is like me. I'm not perfect, but I'm much better than the douches out there in the world.

• A pimp and a drugdealer of course !! :)

• I'd want a good natured man who's gentle but doesn't back down. I'd want to know my daughter was in good hands, and if the man has a lot of potential then that's just a bonus. I strive to be the type of man every day, but overall I'd only want my daughter to be happy.

• That is a very good question... you have me thinking. That's still far away. Yes. Far away... oh god it's sooner rather than later right? Fuck. He better respect her and treat her like a equal. He must be open minded and embrace her family and her values. Motivated and smart.

On a different note, i have no problem going to jail if he's a fuck job hahaha

• 12d

Have you been in before?

• 12d

I repeat. I have no problem going to jail.

• 12d

I don't know man. I think Brittany better be responsible for herself. Prison has been tough for the past 10yrs.

• Yup I'd say so. Sure I've done stupid things in the past we have, but I've learned from them. I also thank my parents for raising me right.

• Thats a tough one.
    A positive influence
    someone that made her happy and pulled their weight if she was successful if they had kids a stay at home dad who worked part time would be fine id rather she be successful than a stay at home mom with out having built up skills to fall back on.
    Trustworthy very important wasn't likely to divorce and if he did they could agree to something fair so it didn't go to court and end up spending it all on corrupt lawyers.

• 12d

Are you that type?

• 12d

Partly I don't want kids i'd rather we both work then have the option to both retire earlier in India or somewhere exotic or go work there on something interesting.
      I can be trusted and can pull my weight but it would take a long time for me to trust someone enough to marry them.

• Whomever she loves and whomever lovers her back equally.
    I hope that she chooses someone smart, who balances work and life well, is ambitious and accomplished (to match her accomplishments, of course), and also someone who is intrinsically kind and compassionate and treats her well.
    But ultimately it is up to her, not me.

• 13d

And would you say you're that type of man?

• 13d

I am very successful
      No

• Unfortunately that what attracts women is not that which makes a man marraige material. I want my daughter to be self sufficient and not depend on a man, ever.

• Someone who is a bit of a nerd and bumpkin - the Buddy Holly type - but also firm in his values and not easily pushed over. I want her to marry a man who is strong and can carve his place out in the world, but also loving and goodhearted.

• 12d

Opinion owner. Why don't you be that man. ? Why don't you lead by example? The man you describe is the man you should be

• 12d

@Djaaaaay Be sure to check out my new take.

• 12d

Yea , I'll get the notification

• Not a man like me for sure lol

• 11d

Wha? lol why not?

As you present yrself on here, at least, you seem like the type *every* parent would want a daughter to bring home.

• 11d

@redeyemindtricks Damn, a 20 year gap might be too much even for the most progressive thinking 😅. If she grows up anything like you though, I'm sure she will have her pick of very eligible husbands.

• 11d

"grows up like me" -- well, let's hope we can skip those desperately-manic-depressive years, at least...

• More from Guys
    48

What Girls Said 34

• I don't have a daughter but if I did, I would most definitely want her to marry a man like my current partner... and... should I have one... he will be her father.

My son, I definitely hope to still improve myself and as I have discussed with my boyfriend, I fight hard to role the kind of woman I want for him... why... because I can only hope that maybe I'll set his standards appropriately high on what to want in a partner. Don't get me wrong, I'm already reasonably a good woman... but I want him to have an appropriately educated woman. I just don't want him in a dead marriage and I hope that he'll see love role modeled daily so that he never settles like that.

I have seen so many marriages where the woman is a lazy and discontent stay at home wife... not to discredit the good sort, but the ones who treat marriage like a man to simply live off of. (Sits around smoking, maybe drinking, berates her husband, steals his paychecks... the stories I've heard from both females regaling their bad behavior and the men on the victim side of it are appalling.) That's never what I've wanted to be... and what kind of good woman is truly content with such an empty life?

• My partner is definitely that type of man. He's super caring and thoughtful. I've been a bit sick these past couple of weeks, nothing serious, but he still wanted to make sure I'm ok and has been pushing me to start eating more yogurt and fibers haha. He's super kind and gentle, gets along with my family very well (not that that's hard but still). If we have a small argument he never raises his voice and he tries to keep his composure even if he's noticeably irritated or frustrated. He runs to the store for me if we're about to cook something and I notice I don't have an ingredient or something. He has even emptied my dishwasher a couple of times, even though he absolutely does not have to do that, at all.
    So yeah. Great guy. I'm happy my first boyfriend turned out to be super lovely :D I think one of the worst things that could happen to someone in the world of dating, would be to have someone terrible as their first. Would set a really bad example for how relationships should work.

• A real gentleman. Someone who can make her happy for the rest of her life.
    Someone who we can picture being a great father one day. Someone who will come to our house often and talk to us like he's our son. He should have his life together and should be financially stable. He should treat her with respect and love. I want him to be the type of man who I can trust to stay by her side and take care of her. Most importantly, he should be kind and have a good heart.

• I would want my daughter to marry someone who is genuine, cares about her, respects her, and is a hard worker. Yes, I do think my partner is that type of man and I think my parents are very happy with him dating me.

• I'm going to keep it short cause I'll end up turning this into poetry lol... I would just want her to marry someone who believe's she put the star's in the sky. Someone who look's at her like two country fat bitches off their diet at Thanksgiving dinner, somebody who talk's about her as if she was like MAGIC! And treat's her like Gollum/Smeagol did that dang ring the entire journey bahahahaaa!
    Not a partner... YET, but yes, my friend a. k. a her future dad ;-P

• A man like my father. Family oriented, selfless , humble , caring and compassione. My father's family was his life. He strived to make my mum happy , she also did the same. They had a long and happy marriage

• A guy who
    -has a great sense of humor
    -respects women as equals
    -likes animals
    -doesn't catcall
    -likes kids
    -makes her feel great :)

• If I ever have a daughter. I'd like her future husband to treat her right, look after her, support her and love her to the moon and back. I know she would have her mums' love and affection to give to him, so i'm not worried.

• Somebody who treats her right and makes her happy.

• One that will make her happy and doesn't abuse her emotionally or physically and doesn't have a std. Will love her in her lowest low and highest high. I don't care about his race or age as long as she is happy.

• My boyfriend is that type of man. He's so good I can hardly believe it. I feel like his type is going extinct though so I don't know if guys will still be wonderful if/when my future daughter grows up.

• 12d

What type?

• 12d

The type I want my daughter to marry. Super loving and loyal and understanding and funny

• Thr type of man my partner is

• a nice and loving man

• She should marry whoever she wants but I would want her to marry that kind of man I want to marry. He would be caring, respectful and supportive to her.
    Haha I don't have kids yet and I am already thinking about their marriage.

• Someone like my father !

• The one that she likes and treast her right

• I'd be over the moon if she found a guy like my partner. I'd be so happy for her.

Never in a million years will I let her get involved with a guy like her dad, and if that happens, then I will have failed her.

• 11d

@ AperolSpritz i learned parents can't choose who their kid grown up and marry. a lot of girls grow up and end up marrying some like their father. If you teach her the right way she needs to be treated and respected she won't marry someone who's a fuck up in everyway you can think of.

• 11d

@ AperolSpritz well i understand it's sad that she really don't have a male role model in her life. Maybe your boyfriend can become the father figure she needs in her life when she gets older. But if she decides to date assholes thinking like most women " I can change him for the better". In reality only the guy can change if he chooses to. But between you and your boyfriend she shouldn't and won't chase those types of guys. Good luck. I hope he goes from your partner to your husband. For your daughter sake.

• 9d

@TheBigGiantHead900 Thank you for your kind words :)

• I would want my daughter to marry who ever she likes. I'd hope that he or she would treat her well and make her happy. That's will be all I ask for.

• If I had a daughter I would love for her to marry the type of guys I crush on - I have good taste in men - love the good religious boys.

• 12d

I just wish your words will stay just words or else you'll become a mother who forces her daughter to date the guys that YOU have a crush on. So sad

• Loyal partner who has the same kind of life in mind as she does.

• Someone like my dad. Hardworker, smart, friendly, down to earth.

• Whatever kind of guy that loves her and treats her right.

• I don't know, whoever she wants as long as he is not some criminal or drug addict

• The kind of man that I want to marry.

• Someone like my dad.

• I'd want my daughter to treat me the way my boyfriend treats me.

• yes i would want my future daughter to be with someone like my current partner ( her future dad).

• Just a nice, loyal guy she loves.

• my partner is not the type of man I'd want my someday future daughter to marry unfortunately :/

• It's up to her. But for sure, he must prove that he can take care of her.

• More from Girls
    4