Girls, how long will you wait for a proposal before tapping out?

I was watching Family Feud and eating pancakes, when this question popped up. The most popular answer was 1 year... the fuck? xD
Will you really not wait more than a year before he proposes? If you will wait longer, how much longer?

• 1 year
  • 2 years
  • 3 years
  • 4 years
  • 5 years
  • I'll wait as much as he wants to wait, as long as we end up getting married
  • I don't want to get married

What Girls Said 35

• depends; my man and i have been together for 2 years and still aren't married (until i met him, i had no intention of ever being married).

we've talked about it, so we know where the other stands. but he has said that, once he proposes, he wants to get married within that same year and our current situation doesn't allow for that (he works night shifts and doesn't get a vacation for another year; i am a full-time student whose schedule revolves around her classes, not to mention the debt i'll be in, when all is said and done).

the way i see it: when it happens, it happens. we aren't having kids, so i'm not on any kind of timeline.

• I voted B. If after two years of being in a relationship with a guy and he doesn't want to marry and that's what you want, it's better to move on. This only applies if you are above the age of 27 and both of you guys are professionals and responsible.

• 10d

so why does it matter now? why didn't it matter when you were younger? why do other guys get a younger hotter version of you for longer and not get the same pressure.

• 4d

Also with time you learn to have standards when you are young and insecure you don't.

• 4d

lol ok

• Honestly I think a year is plenty to know if you want to spend the rest of your life with someone.
    I don't understand why people say they're not ready, what difference does it make?

After a year, you're probably just not on the same page about marriage and the future if one person wants one thing and the other doesn't. So ya I think a year, maybe two is a good time frame

• 1 year is too soon for a proposal, BUT, I feel like within one year at least a talk about where you both see things going should be had.

I wouldn't want to be with someone for one year and not know is marriage a possibly in the future. Kids? Does he see a future... I mean I'm not one of those people that think you shouldn't meet parents for 2 years, and move in until 3 years. We're adults. It's 9 months for me now. And i have answers to all those questions.

• 12d

I voted 2 years though.
      I mean a proposal is just that. You elevate perhaps from bf/gf to engaged. But the wedding itself can be ages away. I know a couple just got engaged, planning for May 2018. So that's another whole 1.5 years (or so) that they'll be together before actually being married.

People seem to think proposal = marriage in a weeks time. So I think 2 years is a nice point to be getting engaged, live together for at least a year before that.

• Once Im in an official relationship, 2 years.
    After that I Will start wondering what his intention truly are and if he really wants to marry me or not. I will look for another man.
    Don't wanna be tied down for let'd say 7 years and end up waiting for nothing at the age of 28 when the clock is ticking.

• I think "one year after you know you really want to get married" is more reasonable. Personally, in fine with just knowing that he feels the same way and wants the same things from the relationship.

• 3 years until I'm like "what the fuck, man?" I say this, because my partner and I are already talking engagement, so, if he waited an entire other year and never asked... wow, haha, something must have changed.

• Well, I've been with him for five years and I'm cool with waiting a while longer, probably another five...

• 1 year is WAY too soon.

Id wait for as long as Id need to but honestly? Im not waiting for marriage. Im not waiting for anything in my relationship other than the next time i get to spend time with him.

• I think it depends on when i meet this guy and how ready we feel. I don't really feel like i can say how much I'll wait bc i think there'll be some kind of understanding between us like where we stand and what our plans for the future are. If i get the feeling that he's not proposing bc he's not ready to commit then i won't wait, if i know we're both certain we want to be with each other for the rest of our lives then i'm okay with waiting. Also, if i met him now 1 year or even 4 would seem way too early for me lol since im 18.

• Many probably read it as "how long from now will you wait". My answer to that would be about a year as well...

• Honestly I picked I don't want to get married (even though I'm engaged) but the truth is none of those really fit me.

I am only getting married because he wants to get married and I planned on spending the rest of my life with him anyway.

I never required marriage but I'm not against it. To me it's just a formality.

• 10d

Thanks god someone with real sense

• 9d

You planned on spending the rest of your life with him. Not because you wanted get marry or try show or use him for money. Now a day girl doesn't get that. First thing that doesn't go right look for another guy. What the hell is that. I think that worst than a slut

• 9d

@cmale123 I can agree with that. Every relationship I've been in (3 including my fiancé) I've treated it like I was going to the long haul, because otherwise what was the point?

one guy was trash, scum that beat me and said awful things. The next guy made me feel loved and then proceeded to make me feel like everything he said to me was a lie when he cheated on me.

And now the love of my life and my only, whom made me so happy that he wanted to marry me. I was happy because that meant he thought I was worth spending his life with. That's is why I was so happy, because I felt wanted.

• I said a year, but I am factoring in the fact that it would take along time for me to want marriage. So I'd basically have to be in a relationship with a person for maybe three years before I'd consider the idea and bring it up to them, but after anywhere from one or two years after that, if they still aren't ready, then it'd be best to just end it.

• I would like to see the amount of interest in each other after 3 years, that we would Want to get married at that point. It typically doesn't take that long to develop such feelings.

• None of the above. If I thought it was about time to get married for some reason and he didn't propose I would talk to him about it. And if for some reason he didn't want to get married I'd try to find a solution for both of us or break up

• 3-4 for years
    1 year is way too short in my opinion.

• It honestly depends on the age and how long you have known them, the length of the relationship, and other various factors.

Personally, with me being 30, I am not waiting five years for a 'maybe.' I don't date just to date. I understand there is a getting-to-know-you stage, so I will keep that into consideration. If I am officially dating someone, he will know that I see potential for something more in the future. I have no problem being upfront from the get-go and I don't mind taking it slow, but if there's no future involved, I will move along. I actually want to get married, so my intentions will be clear.

• Well my boyfriend and I had been living together for almost three years when quite unexpectedly he proposed to me, and then a further three years until we got married this year.

• At least three or four years.

• as long as I get married while in my 20s idc

• 1 year is good. That's actually plenty sufficient especially if you and your partner know yourself, know what you want, make clear of the expectations, and are in a good place financially. Age plays a factor in all of this too.

• My answer would be somewhere between F and G but even those aren't exactly true. I see marriage as a piece of paper, so it's really no different from a long-term relationship. But if he didn't have any plans for that either, that's a dealbreaker.

• After 4 years of waiting, I think I would need to reevaluate the relationship

• I'll wait for a while. As long as I'm happy, it's all good.

• I think a year is kind of quick. 3 years is pretty decent.

• I would wait as much as you want :P

• I'm not a person that needs to be married but if it happens I don't think I could put a specific time on that. I wouldn't want to wait forever but I want the person to be sure also.

• 1 year is still the honeymoon phase, so I'd wait 2-2 1/2 years into the relationship before I'd be like, wtf?

• Wait as long as he wants. Not a fan of marriage tbh

• I think 1 year is good. When you know, you know. Don't waste my time.

• More from Girls
    5

What Guys Said 14

• You should know by 2 1/2 to 3 years if they are the right one.
    ... and if it's working well before marriage don't change things too much after you get married.

• based on what I have seen, women will stick around for 3+ years, even when they know he won't propose.

• 1-2 years to get to know someone then another 2 ish years to make sure you are in the right financial spot or geographical place you want to be. let alone talking about moving and "seeing" some of the world together before the house and white picket fence and kids come to the front.

• 12d

" another 2 ish years to make sure you are in the right financial spot or geographical place you want to be. let alone talking about moving and "seeing" some of the world together" clearly that's something you can do while engaged/married. Your life doesn't end once you get engaged, you can still do things

• 12d

it's just one of those fluid points. depending on if you both want to go and explore or set roots is what i ment.

• If the guy is going to ask, he should do so by 3 years latest

• 12d

Agreed.

• 12d

But that would mean marrying at 23 or so if you met a girl when you're 20. It's too young, or at least is it for most people. I wouldn't want to get married at least until my late twenties.

• it actually takes four years to get to know a person so it really be 5 years four to get to know them then a year in top of that so you know for sure people are just jumping into relationships and marriage which is why divorce rate is so high they didn't know each other that long

• Funny how people put time limits on this thing as if a real life relationship is something you can control 😂

• Why does marriage need to be an end goal anyway? It's unnecessary and the quickest way to ruin a relationship.

• 12d

Why would marriage ruin a relationship?

• 11d

wow.. so you are speaking from your own experiences. this what YOU experienced

• 11d

@beautifulblacswan quite a few of my friends as well over the past few decades, so it's not a statistical sample size of 1. and this is not even doing a Google search and looking at the bigger picture (my personal experience is just following a general trend, apparently an old one, possibly as old as arranged marriages themselves).

• my question-why doesn't SHE propose? Seriously! nothing wrong with women proposing!

• I proposed a girl & then waited for almost 1 year before she said Yes... by which time I had moved on lol.

• 1 year-i'm not gonna waste my time.

• They say it takes 5 years of living with some one before you truly know them.

• That's actually an awesome Feud question!

• You should have added the vote:
    None of The Above

• let me first get a girlfriend. ughh.