Do you believe that couples who want to stay together should marry before they have their first child?

Do you ever plan to get married and have kids?
If yes, do you think you will definitely marry before becoming a parent?
And what's your opinion on shotgun marriage (which is quite common among East-Asia's young generation)?

Most Helpful Guy

• I would have definitely marry before having kids. I would not mind a shotgun wedding cause it's needed to fullfill my beliefs in what stated above. It won't hurt to get married a little sooner than expected.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. Children outside of marriage like that deserve to have two parents committed in marriage to each other.

What Guys Said 9

• Shotgun marriages in Asia are often people already planning on marriage. Here, it would be people who weren't planning on marriage, but feel obligated because of the pregnancy.

Quite a different situation.

Few of the shotgun marriage here ever last long, I can tell you that.

• i don't think people should marry because they are expecting a kid
    they should get married because they want to get married... but i think it's smart to plan a family and part of that plan is determining a timeline

• I think it's best for two people to get married before having kids. I think it's the most stable situation for raising kids. Lots of studies have shown that kids do best (on average) when there is a mom and a dad in the home. I realize that could be true even if the mom and dad aren't married, but the formal marriage is (in my view) best for the family and society.

• Yes, absolutely. Marriage is the bond of two people into one.

• No, always have a kid in wedlock. If you don't, there's a bigger chance you'll separate. You should only marry if you KNOW you want to stay with that person forever. Marriage should be a big event, not taken lightly. And shouldn't be viewed as something that you can easily separate from.

• We married before, our son did not.
    A shotgun marriage is a bad reason to marry.

• yeah they should marry

• Yes I do

• I'm not marrying, less if I had a kid.

No idea what's shotgun marriage.

What Girls Said 15

• I was married before I had my son, but we did end up divorced. (Extreme abuse)

My boyfriend and I do want kids, but not until after marriage. You should never intentionally have a child unless you're already prepared to commit to someone indefinitely.

Shotgun marriages... not a fan. I don't want my marriage to be a subject of contempt. I don't want room for regret.

• I don't think falling pregnant is a good reason to get married. If you werent already engaged there is no reason to rush it - it can always be done later. Parenthood is a stressful time and adding marriage into the mix can make a difficult time worse.

Personally I wanted to be married before starting a family, so took many precautions to ensure my plans would work out that way. If they hadn't and I fell early I still would have waited until I was positive he was the one

• yeah

• Well I an oopsy, but my parents got married 2 years later and ended up later having two more kids, they're still happily together. so I mean nothing is black and white regarding your question, sometimes stuff happens

• yea it makes sense

• I do want to get married; as for kids, if I am blessed with them, I would be alright with it. No grudge.

And of course.

And I am not familiar with shot gun marriage

• Not really. I don't particularly care whether I have a baby first or whether I get married first, though I suppose marriage first would be easier.

• Marriage, then a child.

• I think everyone should marry before they have kids

• Yes absolutely

• I do want to have kids, and I don't really want to get married but I think I will, as it has some economical benefits.
    I see nothing wrong with couples having children while not being married.

• You can stay together and have a child without marriage too so no

• Not at all

• I would prefer to marry and then have kids because when married things are more solid. But I don't see why someone shouldn't start a family outside marriage.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more