Marriage - does it last?

Hey all, as we all know a shocking percentage of marriages end in divorce these days so I figured I'd ask a question here to get back a bit of marriage-positivity.

My grandparents were married for 55 years and were blissfully happy (until Granddads's death) and my parents are happy and have been married for 25 years.

What's the longest lasting marriage that you know of and were they/are they happy?

And finally, what do you think are the secrets of a long-lasting marriage besides, of course, love and adoration?

Most Helpful Guy

• My Great Grandfather who passed May 25th was married to my Great Grandmother for 67 years! From what I can gather, they gained and maintained happiness through the things that they shared, such as family, friends, hobbies, travel. I have a rather large family, and we all made a point to spend time with the elders of the family as much as possible. I can remember the Great Grandparents staying up with us kids till the early hours of the morning, playing board games. They seemed so happy to be with us, but also to be together. They created this great big family, and loved it!

My parents were divorced years ago, and I have many friends that also went through a divorce. I think that the generation before us was plagued by divorce. As a new generation comes of age for marriage, I think the old statistics regarding marriage will drop. Hopefully! I know that I saw the problems that created discomfort in my family, and have always made sure that these same problems didn't occur in my relationships! I know many married couples that are products of divorce, and they too are aware of the hardships that will come, and ensuring they don't follow in their parent's footsteps, they work things out, instead of just divorcing!

I have always tried to keep things interesting, and in common. Find things that perk the interest of both myself and my significant other. Be giving and accepting! Realize that disagreement happen, and it won't end the way you feel about that person. Know that you are the luckiest person, because that person next to you feels that they are the luckiest person. If that makes sense.

• Thank you for that volk. Sorry to hear about your Great Grandfather. 67 years is a heck of a long time and I would love to be able to be happy with someone for that length of time. I hope it happens for me :) Thank you again for your thoughts x

• He was 95, and it was his time! I trust it will happen for you, and all that are willing to be happy with that one person!!! Good luck for the future!

What Guys Said 3

• Well 100% of all divorces start with marriage .lol all joking all side, One of my grand parents were married for 68 years and were friends for a lot longer then that. My other grand parents were married for 58 years. They all told me many a times that a good marriages takes love, dedication, but more importantly, at least one hobby that you have that does not involve that person that you are married, such as fishing, sewing, hiking or something to that nature. They say that every relationship needs some time to breath. I am not talking a lot of time away from each other but just short breaks from each other each day or week .

• We married in Dec 1971 and have been happy together since then. Happy grandparents since last Friday .

• I'm sure if you ask ur grand parents you would find out the only way to make relationship like marriage last 55 years is to cheat every once in a while,

What Girls Said 6

• my mum and dad have been married for about 26 years and still completely love each other. and have raised a very close and loving family. I always just assumed this would happen for me the same way and easily, but seeing the world today I find it really hard to believe in a everlasting marriage as they are so rare. Hopefully I'll b able to find the man of my dreams that'll love me forever, but the world today does make it hard to find.

i think for a successful marriage you would need a lot of understanding, support, encouragement, and time spent together doing things like going on holidays every once and awhile, so it's not the same old thing all the time etc. But I think if you find the right person they'll always love you.

• My parents have been together since they were 15/16, and they're now in their 40's.

They're happy for the most part, and I think it's because they have a lot of tolerance for each other and they basically have a good relationship that they work hard to keep. :]

• My grandparents, definitely. 49 years before my grandma passed away. Seems like there were some old folks at their church that I grew up around who had 50 & 60 year anniversaries, but no one specific that I can remember.

In addition to love, I think having compassion, patience, good communication and the keen ability to choose your battles wisely makes for a long lasting marriage.

• Marriages DO last, its selfish immature adults that haven't grown up yet who get a divorce, they took responsibility for getting married, and they KNEW what it meant to get married, marriage is for life! And don't you even ACT like what I'm saying is a lie!

You better really get to know a person before you MARRY them or you have no excuse for getting a divorce but, "I was selfish, I was addicted to sex, I cheated, I was a pig, I was immature" yea you know what I'm sayin is right!

Man, you say, "Oh it just didn't work, we just weren't for each other"

WELL YOU SHOULD HAVE FIGURED THAT OUT BEFORE YOU GOT MARRIED IDIOT!

Man, some people are just STUPID, STUPID, STUPID, IMMATURE, GOTTA GO BACK TO PRESCHOOL, IDIOTS. Man, if you actually TRY and stop thinkin bout your self all the time, you can make it work. You CAN. Now I'm not sayin if you guys are about to kill each other you should stay together, maybe you should get some space for that right there.

Like they can't figure it out... damm.

• I don't know my parents want to seperate, they have been married 22 years

• my grandparents have been married for nearly 60 years.

but sadly my parents divorced after only 4 years