Why do bad things happen to good people?

Really don't understand. please tell me WHY you think this is true...

thanks

Most Helpful Girl

• Ignoring the fact that the definitions of "good" and "bad" are subjective, I am going to propose a different way of looking at this idea.

Things (intrinsically neither bad nor good) happen to people (both good and bad) without distinction and it is only when these things occur that the individual is forced to interpret whether what has happened was "good" or "bad". When individuals believe something bad has happened to them, they feel pain. From this pain is derived a stronger sense of compassion and morality--instead of solely looking after their own interests, their understanding of suffering allows them to empathize with the plights of their fellow man. Because they understand what it feels like to be hurt, they attempt to either alleviate others from feeling this way or to prevent such emotions from developing in the first place. If someone has had no real pain in their life, their capacity to pity others and to act humanely is limited; after all, it is hard to understand why someone might be hurt by you betraying them if you have never been betrayed. In other words, it is because bad things happen that people are able to develop qualities (ex. mercy, humility, kindness) that are cherished as essential components of not only "good" people, but of humans in general. I realize that many people become bitter after bad things happen to them but I believe that is because they fail to fully understand what has occurred and the potential for increased personal goodness that is given to them as a result. As a side note, it is also important to realize that while "good" things might make us happy, they don't actually make us "good" people in the traditional understanding of the word.

What Girls Said 5

• Honestly, it depends how you take what is given and the situation that is brought up to you.

Karma is neither good or bad. I believe in it. It's a balance, you're nice someone will be nice to you someday. If you steal, you'll probably lose the same amount of money another day. The payback you recieve, whether good or bad, won't be instant. It may take days or months or years.

But sometimes I guess bad things/unfortunate things happen to people who don't deserve it. As do good things happen to people who don't deserve it. It's just life.

• Bad things happen to everyone. The reason that good people are more affected by it is because they aren't expecting it and don't act like they expect it. that's why they are good people, the expect better from others and situations and act accordingly where as "bad" people expect the worst from people and when it happens they aren't surprised. The same is true for people's perception of others, if you see someone as a good person you don't expect bad things to happen to them because it wouldn't be fair, but for a bad person you expect bad things to happen to them(otherwise why would they be bad? you feel like they need an excuse to be bad).

So in life you can act and react to situations. Its the reactions that define you as a person(good/bad) but, no matter what, life will happen either way.

• Although that might seem true, when life gets hard. But in reality bad things happen to everyone. I believe what goes around comes back around. Which means if you do bad, the bad you did or caused will come back to you. Its a proven fact. I didn't believe it either, until I experienced it. Now I don't believe in "bad luck" that's something dffierent. That's like supersitions or something.

• I like to think that all of the bad things are making you stronger. It when you finaly get that good thing, it's that much sweeter because you have been through a lot. =)

• Life is unfair :/

That's all I gotta tell you buddy

But maybe when we're older life will repay us

What Guys Said 4

• This sounds harsh but that is the way life is sometimes. You don't have to be a good person to have bad things happen to you, they happen to bad people too. Nothing in this world is perfect and never will be they way it's going. The key is not to give up and keep your love ones and friends closer in those times as they will be a REAL good support for you, when going through those hard times." NEVER" lose faith my friend!

• No reason. But excellent evidence against karma. Karma does not exist.

• Has to happen to someone, good or bad, just in the wrong place at the wrong time...

• Because you touch yourself at night.