Do you think Google is evil?

You know how people say they violate online privacy or they are trying to become a monopoly and stuff like that. And now with their controversial proposal with Verizon.

0|0
1|5

Most Helpful Guy

• For a company with the motto "Do No Evil" Google has done some questionable things, mostly with privacy. For instance, some of their street view vans were "accidentally" loaded with software and equipment that gathers information on open wifi signals. Accessing your gmail to personalize the ads you see on the sidebar. Keeping track of what is searched from specific IPs to "optimize" searching.

That being said, no one is forced to use Google, and in return for the privacy issues people are offered an array of free services and software, so it's really a trade off. They've also done some good stuff, like challenging Chinese censorship.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• I don't think google is evil :-/

I do think facebook is evil tho :P

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• Google is not a monopoly. There's Bing and Yahoo and Lycos. Even ask.com is still popular. Google is just a business. If you want to talk about evil, Walmart is a different story.

1|1
    0|0
    • Wal-mart doesn't treat its employees very well, but no one is forced to work there. And the low prices for every day goods really improves the quality of life for the lower classes. You really want to talk about evil, look at the government, the are the only true monopoly.

• The government is not a monopoly. They are the mafia.

• Considering how much stuff they have that's open source and available to the public, not really. They don't do anything that every single other corporation has been doing since the dawn of time. By that I mean data mining info about you that they can and selling it off or using it for themselves. 5 years ago it was common to sign up for something with an email address and suddenly you'd be getting 5000 spam messages a day.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its hard to good when you are a business with an eye for profit and market share.

0|0
    0|0
  • The annointed one Obama has beefed up the NSA and big brother knows everything about you. So I don't see the difference. Google is a toned down version.

1|1
    1|2