How much would you like a guy to spend on a engagement ring?

My cousin an I had a debate okay I think 3 weeks salary at least part of 3 weeks salary is more than enough for buy a good engagement ring his point of view is that 1,000 dollars is too much to spend on a ring he think it's materialistic. I'm not in the market to buy a engagement ring because I'm currently not dating anyone I'm just asking for point of view here

I'm sorry it's two months salary and yeah he thinks a grand is to much for a wedding ring not an engagement ring
I figure you only get to spend that kind of money once so if you can afford by saving then why not

Most Helpful Girl

• It is a well known fact that an engagement ring is supposed to cost the guy 2 months salary

I say that is stupid because that could be anywhere up to $10 000 and that is WAY too much. $1 to 2 thousand is more than acceptable, and you can get beautiful rings for that price.

For me, the rock doesn't have to be that big, but (im sorry) it has to be real. I am aware that its the significance that counts, but I would never buy myself a diamond and would like to think if my boyfriend were to get me one I want it to be a real one (its a once in a lifetime thing)

As for wedding rings, gold bands all look pretty similar and the price is dependant upon the number of carrats of gold. 18 carrats is really good and they can be anywhere between $100-$300. Although 26 carrats can be around $500 or more. Both look identical and are the most frequently used. So $500 would suffice for a wedding band

(Australian prices)

What Girls Said 5

• it's three months salary MINIMUM and it's not the cost of the ring it's the effort that you put into it looking for something that you know the girl would appreciate...something that fits her style...something that she would watch everyday and be reminded of how much you love her...anything generic is not only boring but shows just how much you want to put into the relationship...forget the cost think about the meaning and tell your cousin that when the right girl comes along $1000.00 would seem like pittance.

• personally, I wouldn't care how big the 'rock' in it was, or even if it was real... I mean the ring is symbolic. It's the MEANING behind the ring (for me) that makes it priceless.

• ok well maybe "his" ring could follow the cheaper route, my husband did spend at least the 3 months salary on my engagement ring. a woman would appreciate quality in something that she is going to look at hopefully the rest of her life =) !

• 3 months is just something set out by DeBrees, it used to be 1 month salary, then 2... I think 3 months salary sounds like a decent mortgage rather than a ring that will take years to regain it's resale value. It's not a stout investment, and people should worry more about what their marriage is going to look like rather than a ring.

• it is supposed to be 3 MONTHS salary, not weeks. at least for a decent ring.

What Guys Said 3

• 1,000 is too much? I've always been told it's 10% of your income which would make it 1000 or more every time. Unless you have a really crap job that doesn't give you any hours. If I ever got an engagement ring I'd probably go with 10% which would be anywhere from 3000-8000 depending on what I make after college.

In all honesty though I would think a girl doesn't care as long as it looks nice. Unless she wants to go around saying "OMG LOOK AT MY RING IT WAS SOOOO EXPENSIVE!" lol

• Isn't it 3 months salary? I don't know an engagement ring is something that lasts only so long. My friend had their wedding bands robbed from their house 5 days before their wedding. He says its the most expensive ring he ever had to buy twice.

• I've always heard the 3-6 weeks salary thing (Kinda hope not because when I graduate and get a job that mean I'll have spend like 20-30K, that's too much money for a ring), but I've honestly don't know, I think when I comes time for me to buy a ring I'll try to get the best I can get but I won't go in debt for it