Gay Marriage: Legal or Illegal?

Greetings again everyone!

I would like your thoughts on the topic of gay marriage.

Should gay couples have the right to be lawfully married?

I personally take no issue with gay marriage. My personal opinion is that gay marriage embraces the concept of freedom that America was founded upon.

I also think it speaks volumes about America's changing social structure. This change I view as positive. It embraces peace, freedom, love and tolerance. It also helps to develop continuing multicultural diversity within our nation in a positive manner.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

• Gay marriage should be legal everywhere right now!
  • Gay marriage should never be legal in any form!
  • Gay marriages should be allowed, but with certain amendments (tax and legal etc.)

Most Helpful Girl

• Oh wow, I could go on for days about this. Let's just try to get it out quick. I do think that gay marriage should be legalized and with all the same benefits and downfalls of straight marriage. Nothing should differ legally.

Marriage is about law. And law is suppose to be religion free. A school teacher got fired from his job for having a Bible on his desk. The pledge of allegiance, by law, had to take "under god" out of it, these examples show how strict the law is against bringing religion into it. However, the only argument people seem to be able to come up with for being against it is their religion. Does that make any sense? We are banning something that is SO important to so many people because of religion, when the law is suppose to have nothing to do with religion, it's suppose to be about rights. And we are taking away the rights of all those people because they were born gay.

Now for the "it's in the Bible," comment that people love to throw around. The Bible was written and re-written and translated into other languages countless times, starting YEARS before anyone alive could even ask their oldest relatives about. And it was a long ass time before it even started getting written down that most of the events of it even happened. Now here are several different debates out on the Bible, for one, they believe there is a lost section of it, a section that was never put it, either because the "editors didn't want it, or because it was just forgotten, so who knows what may have been in that section. Also, the stories that were told could have very easily have been misinterpreted when written down (like did you ever play telephone as a kid? By the time it got back to you it wasn't at all what you said to start with). And then there are believers that the "editors" of the Bible, the ones that finally wrote it down, wrote it down and made it into what they believed so that when people read it they would take on their beliefs without question.

Now, to my final point, since I'm already getting way longer than I intended. If god was SO against gay people, and God creates everything on earth.Do you see where I'm going? Why in the world would he make people gay? And don't try to say that they choose to be gay. At some point in their lives they may have to choose to accept it and/or to come out with it. But they, just like us, did not choose it, they can't help that they are attracted to the same sex rather than the opposite sex. Almost all of my gay friends tried so hard to be straight so that they were "normal." I thank god that most of them have finally just admitted it, because they are finally happy with themselves, even though they have to deal with ignorant people teasing them at times, they are finally trully happy.

Sorry that was WAY longer than I meant it to be.

What Girls Said 30

• I think gay marriage should be legal. I'm not going to get really detailed about why I feel that way, because it's pretty simple--people can't help who they're attracted to or who they love. I really don't see any reason why it's such a big deal.

People say it's an insult to marriage, but I think the fact that 50% of couples end up getting divorced is an insult to marriage.

• Very good point here! It's hard to take traditional marriage seriously when the high divorce rates and who wants to marry a millionaire broadcasts matrimony to the highest bidder.

• I don't think it's right for people to outlaw gar marriage. If they want to enter a union such as marriage let them do so. I believe they should have the same rights as well. It should be recognized. America claims to be so free.why not stand by our words. I think those gay couples should be able to adopt (that's right I said it) and live as heterosexual marriages do.

• They are still human. The law books shouldn't discriminate against sexual orientation. Laws are based on what's wrong and right, and homosexuality as a wrong doing should be debated solely in religion if anything. I believe when you find love, you've found your other half and you can't change it, fight it, or ignore it. Prejudice and ignorance will remain as long as there are humans and immaturity on this Earth. Gay Marriage is not a problem, it shouldn't have to be legalized. Not everyone can live the "American Dream", with the 'man & wife' with 2 kids and a dog. This is real life, and not everything is picture perfect. Gay marriage is different, unique, and something that should be glorified for this country's growth and love for one another. That's my perspective.

• I can see your point here. I have always wondered where the American dream came from. What if my American dream is different. Am I not living the same fulfilling life?

• Gay couples should damn right have the right to be married.

Marriage is just a bonding and showing their true love for each other.

They are going to love each other whether homophobes like it or not.

To me, being gay is just like being straight. It's just someone who you love. it's wrong just to take rights away because of other peoples selfish beliefs.

It's not hurting a single soul letting them be together. Its making them happy.

And if some people really don't like it, then just stay out of their lives.

Canada and the U.S alike talk about freedom, peace, love (etc).they can openly send people to war.but not let two people be married?

Come on, you know somethings wrong when that happens.

Gay marriage should be legal. Be proud to be gay if you are.

=]

• I like the point presented here. my only question here is do you feel that gay couples need to present more pride in their lifestyle to have the desired result of legalized marriage? Is that a factor that may be preventing the desired goal?

• Thanks, and I agree with you too. You seem very wise for your age. I'm glad to see younger people speaking out for what they believe in and actually knowing what they are talking about as well. I read your on going "discussion" with the anonymous user above and it makes me sad, the level of ignorance there still is out there, not meaning you. Take Care!

• Awe thank you very much. I appreciate someone else who thinks well about these things. I'm also very well 'educated' because my sister is bi, and I have a couple of friends who are gay.

Also, I was brought up in a household to accept everyone no matter what. I guess your views all come with how you're raised...which is a shame if you ask me.

Thank you for the compliment, it means a lot.

and I'm only 15, by the way =]

• Ok, don't hate me.

I don't agree with gay marriage.

I have absolutely no problem with gay people. I just don't agree that they should get the same rights.

Do you know how many people can take advantage of that? its not fair.

Im talking about people who would marry their friend, just for the benefits they get from it. seriously, its so unfair.

if you saw the gay couples that recently married, they are mostly old people, who will be receiving pension, etc. soon. need I say more?

Gay people have the right to be together, be happy, live together, adopt a baby together.

i believe that same sex marriages is just another beginning of fraud, and abuse.

• Why shouldnt they have the same rights?They are humans just like everyone else.

People wouldn't get married for the hell of it. That's seriously ridiculous.They get no benefits from being married to a friend except divorce.Which is not happy.And does it matter what age that people get married at?They love each other and that's what matters. Straight and gay couples alike who are older get pension.Does it matter now?Marring gay isn't fraud. It's love.the only abuse is you taking away their rights.

• Lost angel a heterosexual couple can do the same exact thing right now. a male and female freind can sya simply say"hey what the hell, lets get legally married, we get bigger paychecks" now don't you dare tell me that doesn't happen because it does....not a bad idea either...hmmmm....bigger paycheck, yummy!!!

• Anyone should have the right to marry whoever/whatever they want.

Good luck to all of you.

I don't want anymore comments on this.

Thanks in advance.

• Ok. This is for AmanderBananer.

When a couple gets married, they get tax reduction, health insurance benefits, pension - they receive the spouse's pension when they die, pay increase (for some jobs), and many many more.

My argument isn't about gay people being together, and living a normal married life.

I'm arguing on the fact that some people who aren't really gay, could take advantage of this law. Am I wrong?

Have you seen the movie "I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry"?

So don't misinterpret what I'm really trying to say here

I know it would be unfair to gay couples who truly want to be married, for love, and not for legal benefit purposes.

Also, marriage, is now slowly becoming so meaningless, it seems. People getting married numerous times, in a lifetime. Marrying for money. Marrying for fame. Etc. And now same sexes getting married. A lot of people don't seem to see the importance of marriage, and the true meaning anymore.

Oh and one last thing. Have you ever thought of how it would affect the children? If they were to have one? Because I do assume the reason gay people want to marry is mainly to have a child? No? Because that is mainly the reason why a man and woman get married. To reproduce. But anyways, how will these kids be treated in school? From friends? From people? It will definitely affect their life, and the way they see life, and marriage.

• What? The main reason men and women get married is to reproduce? Um...no. Of course having gay parents will impact them. But it's becoming more and more acceptable. Not only that but if you really want to get down to it heterosexual married couples have some huge issues of their own. The main reason people get married is because it's a union, a bond between two people who love each other. There are people who get married to get benefits...Have you seen Green Card? Hello!? Seriously.

• Marriage is a 3rd party(business) contract between 2 individuals and the state(3rd party). why not let two men be finanical partners if they want

• I'm arguing on the fact that some people who aren't really gay, could take advantage of this law. Am I wrong?

You mean the same way a man can marry a woman,,,just to reap the benifets? I bet that NEVER HAPPENS, lol.

• Okay.

I know I'm only young but to me it seems so silly for society to keep this kind of legal recognition from a couple that love, care for, and respect one another. So long as nobody's safety or wellbeing is at risk, I believe gay marriage should be allowed. I think it is silly that we view this as an "issue" at all.

It seems as silly as saying two people can't get married because they both have blond hair, or come from different cultures -- we're past that now!

Come oooon, everyone. By disallowing marriage on the basis of sexuality you're not going to change the feelings shared between two people, or their choice to spend the rest of their lives together.

Why deny them legal marriage when, emotionally and spiritually, they already are?

• OMG I totally didn't mean my answer! I meant A not B! sorry such a clumsy person. O well. I just had to let everyone know that I am not a bitch. I am okay with the gay

• It's ok. I have butterfingers sometimes too. no worries. *clears throat* EVERYONE! JULES HERE IS PRO GAY MARRIAGE! there, lol did that help out! thanks for the posting here. - j

• Just because someone isn't ok with gay marriage doesn't mean they are a b****.

• Your opinion

• OK, so I have not read EVERYONE'S responses, but I skimmed a few.

These are my thoughts on Gay Marriage.

#1: I do not support Gay Marriage in general because of my personal religious beliefs. I am a Muslim, and because of that, I try to abide by all 3 holy books, the Torah, the Bible, and the Qur'an.

All three monotheistic religions do not support gay relations. I'm sure you guys know the story of King Lot. You guys can use that as a reference.

#2: Let me say, contrary to my religious beliefs, I do not have a problem with gay people. Just the act itself.

So that brings me to my real point, I think that the U.S. government needs to change it's outlook on marriage itself.

The U.S. was founded by Europeans who wanted to separate church and state. If marriage comes from an institution of religion, then I do not think the government should have any authority on who marries who. With that said, I do believe any person should have the right to marry who they would like with the other person's clean consent. I do also believe they should be given all the benefits that married couple get, such as tax breaks and hospital rights, and etc.

I do think that the U.S. should change the marriage liscence into Life Partner liscence as well.

Let me give you another example. Say you are not gay and you live in the same house with your best friend. All of your family is dead. All of her family is dead. You guys pay a mortgage together. You get sick and she takes care of you. You want her to be able to make decisions for you, and give her all your money because she was there for you and she deserves it.

What about then?

So, I believe that the U.S. should let religious institutions ordain marriage, so that if someone wants to be married to someone they can go to their own place and get that done. It's just a verbal contract anyway with witnesses.

Gay people should have rights too.

• First off, so many people have made great arguments and point of views. I see a lot of people defending their beliefs with the bible. This is acceptable and fair, but when you feel like preaching please refer back to Romans 15:1 "Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you."

• I agree with your quote.

• Its romans 15:7, not 15:1.... write chapter wrong verse

• Thank you for the correction, I didn't realize I mistyped.

• Gays should get all rights that the married couples. If ask me I think its really retard that gays can't get married. They still people they just trying express themselves.

• what gives us the right to say who and who can't marry each other. I say let them do it! I personally would never marry a female but who am I to say that someone else can't?

• You do love freedom, don't you? lol!

I agree, everyone should just do what they want, when it comes to marriage. We should be able to get married naked if we want to!

• After fighting for it in the middle east, and 5 years and 28 countries, and a few years of college later, I have a very unique perspective on just about everything in America's topic list.

• Yes they should be aloud to marry,let people live there life how they want if they aren't hurting anyone.

• Legal. My cousin is getting married to his partner in October. I see no reason why gays should not be allowed to get married.

• Yes, gay marriage should be legal everywhere...but we all know that's not possible. Just look at Afghanistan or Iran - women are stoned there for cheating on their husbands...how would they accept a gay marriage. They couldn't even accept the concept of homosexuality, much less a union like that. ...unfortunately this is the cold hard truth...

It's a sad world out there...but from time to time it even surprises me in an excellently positive manner! ^_^

Who knows what the future holds...

• i don't think it should be legal because I'm a christian and the bible says it is wrong. marriage is for a man and a woman. God made adam and eve not adam and steve.

• I can see your point however, I have to ask you. Would you consider religious views that are dictating a way of life to others outside of that religion to be a little selfish? My example, I like pork chops, but I don't have the right to make practitioners of Islam eat pepperoni pizza. I hope that makes sense. We should love others for who they are. I know that idea of love is a part of your religion. It's the followers interpretation that allow that idea's manipulation. good stuff!

• You don't make logical sense. You can be against gay marriage but you cannot logically be against gay marriage being legal. Two diferent things. If you think about it you'll know the difference. What I am saing is you shouldnt ever marry a women because it is against your religion BUT how dare you tell someone else they shouldnt. Its not your life and they may not even be religious. Personally I beleive cristianity should be banned and become illegal. Would that be fair to you? logically NO.

• Its homo sapient not hetro sapient

• I found a qoute.

Galations 3:28 says "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

DISCUSS.

• I think that really does away with the right wing argument that "marriage is a union between a man and a woman" if there is neither.... :) good quote!

• Wouldnt it be god since he made us all?

jesus was just his son.

• It's saying that no matter who you are, it should not matter, for we are all one to the lord.

Therefore, why should being gay matter, aswell?

• LEGAL. LOVE IS LOVE.

• gay people should have the same rights as the rest of us, it doesn't harm anyone if they can get married and if they can't they loose out on benefits like getting to visit each other in the hospital

• I think we should legalize gay marriage. Were all people, and so we should all be treated as people.

• legal love is love

• Of course gay marriage should be legal and valid in every way that straight marriage is.

• Do we need to define again what Marriage means? I'm pretty sure it's a religious commitment that happens between a man and a woman in the presence of God.

Someone wants to be gay, be gay, but don't disrespect religion. Live together for awhile and be common-law under the government and get all the rights that way. Simple.

• What about all the heterosexual couples who don't believe in god, should they be denied too?

• Exactly. And plus marriage has benefits. It's under law. It doesn't mean they have to get married in a church! Though personally i believe that should be allowed too

• Yes, you both have a point. Gay people can be married. Getting married in a CHURCH or any RELIGIOUS "house" is disrespectful. Even though I'm not hindu for example, I wouldn't walk into a temple without my head covered. Marriage itself has turned into something controlled by the government anyway being regulated by laws and paperwork. So, that's absolutely fine. Again, just another opinion, but you've defiantly made a point.

• I think that as a christian that being gay goes against nature, by having same sex couples the percentage of children in marriages will drop obviously because two people of the same sex can not have a baby physically.Marriage usually involves having children and I'm not apologizing for saying this because it is true but gay people can't have kids together. But don't get it twisted people who are gay are not hated by God, homosexuality is a sin but so are other things as well I know this. Gays are not going to hell. But personally as a voter I would vote against gay marriage.

• Ever heard of adoption? There's thousands of children who need homes,, plus there's lots of heterosexual couples who can't have babies.

• think of all the heteros who say i dont want my child and send them to be a orphan. gay couples will help fix this problem.

• A. Gay marriage should be legal everywhere right now.

• yeah they have the right to marriage. they're just people like you or me. I only have issues with it if people are pretending to be gay so they can sneak people over the border. or do something to benefit from it, other than marriage itself.

• Sneak people over the what? wtf are you talking about?

• But straight people do that all the time.

marry relatives just so they can become a citizen the easy way

• Gay marriage should not be allowed because 76% of gay people ends up committing suicide. So it shouldn't happen at all.

• State your source. Where did you read, hear, see that 76% of gay people commit suicide? It sure sounds (and even smells) like a body part of yours.. Geographically the highest rate of Suicide is in Sweden, and professionally it is among dentists. What is your suggestion for those then? Not live in Sweden and don't become dentists?

• That's a huge lie

• LMAOO I LOVE YOU GUYS!<33333

=]

• I don't really care either way, but sway more towards the Illegal side. One reason, is from the Bible and what I believe. It says that marriage is for a man and a woman who join to become one. Homosexuality is a lust forbidden by God and He says it's an abomination and a sin. And the gay couples lead an example to children who may get confused about their sexuality and get the wrong impression, more like being forced to like their same sex because they were brought up with two mothers or two fathers.

• Someone can not be 'forced' into a sexuality.

You either are or you aren't.

No parent would try and make their kid something they aren't, and really, you can't do that anyways.

And get a wrong impression? A wrong impression of what? If anything these kids will lead better and more happy lives because they will be able to ACCEPT EVERYONE for who they are and who they love.

• If it was a "load of bullcrap" then I wouldn't have mentioned it. Obviously we have way two very opposite views on this whole issue. And apparently this issue must be of great importance to you as well since it gets you on a very defensive track. I believe what I believe, and no one can change that.

• We obviously do have different views.

But what I'm saying is that if you are made fun of again and again and again on the level that they are, especially judged by the government and religious groups alike it takes a bigger toll on yourself esteem then you can imagine.

• I would never marry a female, but many gay people are happier in love than straight people. Should two straight people who hate each other have more of a right to get married than two gay people who love each other? I think the main reason it is not completely legal is because of religion and ethics and whatnot. EVERYONE has a different opinion on what is ethical and what is not, and everyone has a different religion. WHy should a few religions be holding up 2 people who are in love, when they might not even believe in that religion. If it was legal there might be more adoptions as well if the couple wants children. I would never do it, but I think it should definitely be legal everywhere.

• This is an interesting point. If there we as a society want to set an example of love and tolerance to the world, then why are we basing our legislation on only a few religions, given there are so many of them, I would think the smart thing to do would be to seperate the two. hmmm?

• That's EXACTLY my point =D

What Guys Said 23

• I'm of the Peter Griffin school of thought. "If gay people want to be as miserable as the rest of us by getting married, hey, more power to them."

;-)

• As a libertarian, my political and personal views are different, sometimes contradictory even.

Personally, I don't like the idea of gay anything.

Politically I believe in freedom for all.Including gays or anything else. Whether I like it or not.

I'm not one of these communist democrat's or socialist republicans that want to force their views on others.

The only problem is that they want to call it marriage. Marriage is the joining of a man and women before god. So that is why I believe that most religious folks are offended and voted to make it illegal in many states. My advice to the gay populous would be to come up with a different name for it but let it have all the legal rights that marriage does. They would probably have a better chance of acceptance that way and the religious community would not feel that they are being attacked.

That's my two cents for what its worth.

• I Agree with You

• If america was founded on the bible, christianity, there is where the problem lies. america has no problem with you following any religion. I don't like homosexuality, but I be damned if I judge them, as another poster stated, the problem is the marriage, under vows by God where there is the problem. if they want to be a union or whatever, more power to them. it is a seperate initiy. doesn't mean they love less. but then you talk about kids, how does that work? more issues

God bless =)

• A child can be raised in a gay home just as well and a lot of cases better than a straight home.

I myself live in a straight home and have no problems. And I know many other straight homes that are fine, that's not what I'm saying.

but I know children who are raised in a gay home and they seem to accept and understand and appreciate people better.

i see no problem with gay people being allowed to raise a child.

• I can't believe, in this day and age we are still having an issue with this. It is pretty simple and logical: If two grown, consenting adults want to become legally married and share the benefits heterosexual married couples enjoy I say why shouldn't they have those rights! Saying they shouldn't goes against the ideals of America, land of the free.

Really, who gets hurt when two adults want to become married? No one. If you have something against gay marriage there is only one answer, mind your own business and stop meddling in the affair of other adults..No one meddles in your affairs.

Now we can't force churches to perform ceremonies that go against their religion, that would be wrong. It goes against something they believe in. But who cares, gay people just want to be legally married to the person they love and deserve that right as human beings.

It is so logical and I find it unbelievable that some people cannot follow that logic.

• My reasons for why yes are, first, that I have no problem with gay people. Second, I find sometimes that there are cases were I see more love between two people of the same gender than between two of different, so what right do us heterosexuals have to deny them.

• I support gay marriage because I don't care about and it doesn't affect me. I don't like how people take the Bible so literally. So my question to all you Bible Thumpers: If a gay couple marries and one of them considers themselves the wife and the other the husband, is it still forbidden?

"Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said, 'This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman,' for she was taken out of man."

So according to the bible, we are just marrying and having sex with ourselves.

• Lmfao.

Nice point.

• The Bible Commandeth, you should doeth.

• "So according to the bible, we are just marrying and having sex with ourselves"

thank you, now I have another peice of ammo against the religious zealots. But off course they will FAIL to see the LOGIC presented before them.

• Eliminate marriage all together and just go with civil unions among all couples for the legality part. Let "marriage" be a title awarded by private groups.

• Here's the deal.. Government does not like gay marriage because gay people do not produce new life they may adopt but since they don't actually make babies they are BAD for business. Babies are future tax payers and that's good for business.
    Also married people get all sorts of tax breaks and other financial benefits and this costs the financial world some profit.
    If they want same sex marriage legal I say fine BUT you get no financial benefits of any kind. All they get is a file that says they are married nothing else and if they want to get divorced they can only walk away from each other and the law will not help them divide up the money and possessions they mixed.. And social services will automatically grant custody of any adopted children to the one who makes the most money period. The gay and lesbian community went after adoption rights first to complicate legal issues into courtrooms. Smart move..

• No, gays should not have the right to marry. in fact, no one should have the "right" to marry. Marriage is not a right, it is a gift. A gift from God involving a man and woman to show the true image of God by being two beings that become one through marriage. The purpose of marriage was to produce offsprings and was a religious ceremony. Allowing gay marraige or any other form of gay marriage is allowing sin, and I will not except that. Does this mean I hate gays? Of course not, I hate the sin though. I have gay friends but they know where I stand on the matter.

• The whole idea that you think you possess some given ability to interpret the word of god is the very reason I don't participate in any from of religious activity. Who are you to dictate god and law to the world? Are you one of the heavenly supreme court justices appointed by president Jesus H. Christ? I didn't think so.....

• People focused too much on logic miss the big picutre at the end. The laws of God are much higher then the laws of man. But we are human so of course the only way we can look at things is from human point of view but God has made it clear that homosexuality is wrong, marriage is for a man and woman. So in reality gays need to stop meddling with marriage and trying to pervert it.

• Look. Stop using god as an excuse. I don't believe in god because there is no proof aside from a book written a long time ago. I could decide wizards are real and use harry potter as my bible. If he is real, and god is so disgusted by this, why did he create gays in the first place?

• There is no logical reasons why gays should not get married.

I pick A

• Morals and religion is neither here nor there, in this regard.

As far as legality is concerned, it should be legal since it's a human right to live according to once own believes and morals, unless you are hurting someone else you have the right to do whatever you want.

• No, gays should not get married. It's not a critical issue, but it is another chop at the tree. No-fault divorce did more to hurt marriage, but damage is damage.

Simply put, any smart society has a vested interest in promoting marriage--one man and one woman--as much as possible. Short version.

But, I shall be downvoted, people shall make comments of how marriage is horrible, how I'm a bigot and such, and common sense just has no place online.

What I do find ironic is--the same people that are all for gay marriage--and "the freedom of choice" will also usually be the sort that are all for having people fired if they express political views opposite of them.

• Illegal! It disgusts meh to see two guys maken out infront of meh.. Omg gonna throw up!
    If they don't do such dirty stuffs in pubs, im Kool with it..

• its wrong it should not be legal.It should be a man and a woman not be any thing else!

• My advice: Do not ever be in a gay marriage because it is against YOUR beliefs. But don't you dare tell people to live THIER LIVES according to your twisted version of reality. WHen I say twisted I specifically mean RELIGION. But that's just my belief right?

• Thank you Gorce. Thank you.

• Who are we to judge who others like, personally im Bi and have a huge crush on a guy so I have nothing against gays, lesbians, or even trannies. Nor do I feel uncomfortable about it. It should be legal everywhere.

• I see no problem with giving gay couples same rights as straigt couples. I don't believe natural disasters are caused by sodomy (Ground would shake in sweden!).

• Where are options D and E?

• im sorry.

• It must be illegal

• i do not like gays

• Illegal, gay people are immoral people based on their actions and the unnatural acts they commit. if they are able to get married they will be able to adopt and that is bad for kids. I would be ashamed if my parents were the same sex.

• If you wanna be gay then fine I don't care. But I'm sick of hearing about this gay marriage crap and I don't agree with it. Is this what we're going to hear now at half the weddings we attend? "I now pronounce you man and man" or "woman and woman". The world is getting more and more screwed up as time goes by. Just my opinion.

• Legal. The "definition of marriage as between a man and a woman" is entirely a religious issue. (And frankly not one found in the Bible due to the numerous prominent polygamist marriages there. Most marriages were "1 man + 1 woman," but clearly not all.)

Our country is founded on the notion of religious liberty. If we allow people of different faiths to be married, then why not allow people whose personal convictions say that marriage between people of the same gender is okay to marry?

And lastly the whole "sacred institution of marriage" thing is a crock. The Bible says nothing about gay marriage. Nothing. (Not surprising, though.) It doesn't even say anything about lesbian sex (just calling gay male sex an abomination). What is does say an awful lot about is divorce and how wrong it is, yet 50% of Christian marriages (like all other marriages) in the US end in divorce. But while we deny gay couples the right to form committed relationships because the Bible says no (which it doesn't), we freely engage in practices far more directly offensive to the "sacred institution" ourselves every day.

And the "for the purposes of procreation argument" is a crock too. We let sterile couples marry. We let people who are too old to have kids marry. We let fertile couples marry and choose not to have kids. So why not let gay couples marry (and either adopt or have artificial insemination)?

So whatever. Our country is founded on the principles of equality for all. Most the same argument used for denying gay rights (they still have the freedom to have a heterosexual marriage) are the same ones used against interracial couples (they still have to freedom to marry someone of their own race). Love is not something to be regulated. The government should get out of marriage entirely and let it be a matter of personal faith and conviction.

(But oddly enough, while I support the government getting out of the way, I wouldn't support my church blessing a gay marriage. While the Bible isn't as clear on the whole "1 man + 1 woman" thing as a lot of people thing, I think it's a reasonable interpretation (including the idea that lesbianism is just as prohibited as gay male sex), and it's the one I *personally* believe in. I just don't have the prideful certitude that I know 100% God's will, and I think that part of faith is having the free will to choose to follow God's will as best you understand it. Government cannot and should not mandate faith or any particular interpretation of the Bible. And that includes issues like gay marriage and abortion. One must choose to come to God.)

• I think if gay couples want to get married, whose business is it but theirs anyway? I don't see why we keep trying to stop them. If they want to get together, they're going to find a way to do it, whether they're married or not, so why not let them do what they want? That's what freedom is about, as long as it is not hurting someone.

• And letting gay people get married isn't hurting anyone. It's making them happy.

• Yeah, and it's not our right to judge them but to love them anyway.

• I agree. To many people want to mind other peoples business for some reason.