What is it with all these young people getting engaged?

Last year I took an extra year of high school, and I met a guy a year younger than me who was engaged to a girl he's been dating long distance for not even a year, and I found it really weird. Then on here I've been seeing a lot of under 18 people talking about their fiance. I honestly don't get it, not one has even mentioned pregnancy because to me that seems like the only half decent (not good) reason to be engaged so young. So I just want to ask people if they know, or to young people who are engaged why so early? Why not wait?

Most Helpful Guy

• it's seems like it would be better to wait. live life and don't get yourself in a situation you will probably regret later. cool picture of you btw.

What Guys Said 5

• I agree... it's an epidemic!

Either today's youth are really into monogamy and love and romance and foreverness (real word?)

Or they're all so desperate to hang onto their first love that they think marriage will fix their insecurities.

I suggest this... if you're worried about losing him... get pregnant. It worked great my generation.

*awkward face*

~ Robby

My Blog ( link )

• Maybe it's the only way for the strongly christian people to have sex before merridge?

• i think it is just a phase that teens are going threw right now. we also have to take into concideration that there are people out there in arranged marrages becouse of their belefes in society and I think a few religions. being under 18 myself I see it a lot around facebook with 'bla bla is married to bla bla'. I don't beleave in doing this myself but I do think this is a intresting topic to discuss with high schoolers

• Well I don't know about your friends but on my facebook when it says someone is "married" it's just a joke or them trying to be cute or something. I'm talking about engaged there is a ring, weddings being planned. And I have never heard of arranged marriges happening in canada lol, most people move here to get away from that.

• Yeah that's what my freinds do too. arranged marrages are mostly across the pond altho I do have a freind who is in one

• NOTHING WRONG WITH youngons gettng engaged

• I don't understand either.

What Girls Said 2

• You think and hope you find the person that you will be with for the rest of your life. That's why they get engaged. I think it's fine to be engaged in high school, a few of my friends actually are. But I think you should at least wait until you've been together for at least 3 years to consider being in engaged especially in high school. Now actually getting married straight out of high school? I don't believe in that it will work. Some people just don't want to wait, or they think that they can't because they don't want their relationship to change as in lose them or they just want security in their life with something.

• thats a good question. my two best friends are engaged, they're in their first year of college. but see, I'm okay with that because engagement does not mean marriage. my grandparents went 10 years of living their life together before they got married. the thing I don't agree with is that as soon as they graduate from college they plan on getting married. that's too young. I think its kind of cute when people choose to get engaged at a young age, as long as they plan things out FIRST and make good choices for the future.

• I know it doesn't mean marriage, but like promise rings at this age is cute, it's not quite so official but it means something, what ever happened to them.

• Unfortunately I think that's a lost trend. basically the engagement rings ARE promise rings.

• I don't know, promise rings are more you plan to stay together, and engagement rings are you plan to get married. It only seems like a small difference but still.