What is your opinion on a wife taking her husband's name?

If you decide to get married, what are your thoughts on this matter?

• Men - I would prefer my future wife to take on my last name
  • Women - I would prefer to take on my husband's name
  • Women - I would prefer to hyphenate both our names
  • Women - I would prefer to not take on my husband's name
  • Both - Undecided/Doesn't matter

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's her choice. It's not a requirement. It is unfair of anyone to require/demand that their partner change anything about themselves for them. They are human beings and you do not control them.

What Guys Said 3

• I'd kinda prefer for her to take my name just because it's a public shame thing if she doesn't, but really I don't care.

• Me and my ex-girlfriend agreed that when we got married (yeahyeah, 'that didn't work too well did it?'), we'd make a new name to call ourselves.

• I don't really care..

What Girls Said 7

• Well, I personally think I would change my name, I'm not especially attached to it although lately with a lot of girl friends and acquaintences getting married it'sbecome confusing when I talk about them- Me:"Oh, I saw Michelle the other day" Friend: "Michelle from work?" Me: "No, Michelle _____, I mean ______, actually I'm not sure, did she change her name when her and _____ got married?" You get the picture...Unless my fiance's name is really ugly or something, I think I'll change my name. But, I totally understand where the girls who want to keep their names are coming from along with the ones who are all for hypehnation. My biggest problems with those two are: a) if you keep your name do you choose just one for your kids or hypehnate? If you choose just one, how do you choose? b) if you hyphenate then whose name goes first? and c) if we all hyphenate, won't we end up with ridiculously long names? I could end up Mrs. Smith-Johnson-Riddle-Ames if my grandmother, my mother and I all chose to hyphenate- try fitting THAT on a government form! But, to each her own, whatever makes you happy and feels right for you.

Oh yeah, and as a point of interest, I have heard of some guys taking their wives' names too, so the options are apparently quite diverse when it comes to marriage and names, which I think is great- something for everyone.

• I'll probably take my future husbands name because it's the norm. I wouldn't say that I PREFER to though, it's just not a big deal to me, doesn't matter either way. Hyphenated names are too long to write, and keeping my name as is it would feel I wasn't married

• I wouldn't get married if I wasn't going to take his name. To me it's about bringing the two of you together and becoming a family.

• I think marriage is a sign of or is suppose to be a sign of growing up and uniting with your partner,so I think the woman should take the guys name.I would.

Now to avoid the flaming feminists,IT IS YOUR CHOICE

• So how come uniting wouldn't be taking the girls name?

• It isn't traditional imo,but he can do that too.But for me personally,due to...my lack of,"connection" and admiration for my father and his family,I would rather not keep my last name along with my hubby taking it

• Ah I get it. I was just curious to what you'd had to say.

• My personal choice would be to hyphenate because I take pride in my last name.

• I like it. It's the woman's choice, but I like the idea.

• it doesn't matter what you decide to do. it's what seems most right to you