What Is Your Definition Of the Following Words?

In today's very politically correct society,should you have an opinion that disagrees with the standards of being politically correct or cliche,you're automatically labeled negative terms:

What are YOUR personal definitions of the following words:

-Racist

-Homophobic

-Sexist

-Ignorant

Ex 1: Someone states that they dislike illegal immigrants and illegal immigrants need to be deported,they are automatically labeled as "racist"

Ex 2: Someone says they do not support same-sex marriage,they are automatically labeled as "homophobic"

Ex 3: Someone says that Hilary Clinton and Sarah Palin were not fit to be presidents,they are labeled as "sexist"

Ex 4: Someone says that illegal immigrants harm the economy more than having positive effects on the economy,they are labeled as "ignorant"

Say your definitions of the words listed above,and do those scenarios justify describing the people who have stated such opinions?

Most Helpful Guy

• my definitions might be boring because I use the real definition of said words not someone else's made up definition and certainly not the media's definition. the media brainwashes enough people already.

racist- the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherit superiority of a particular race.

homophobic- irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals.

sexist- prejudice or discrimination based on sex.

ignorant- lacking in knowledge or education; unenlightened.

ex 1. people are idiots to label someone racist for that. if you want to put an end to illegal immigration then crack down on employers hiring said illegals.

ex 2. it's not necessarily homophobic to be against same sex marriage but it's incredibly stupid.

ex 3. hilary clinton might be qualified although I think bill would be running things behind the scenes in that scenario and he's one of the reasons this country's as f***ed as it is. sarah palin's as dumb as a rock and unqualified for washing my underwear.

ex 4. I don't think immigrants harm the economy as much as some people in the media portray, corporate ceo's putting their money in offshore tax shelter's is far more harmful than poor immigrants trying to live day to day for the most part.

What Guys Said 3

• -Racist: hatred of most or all the members of an entire race based on prejudices

-Homophobic: hatred of gay people or fear of normalizing gay culture within general society

-Sexist: hatred of most or all the members of an entire gender based on prejudices

-Ignorant: Someone who is oblivious to facts or hard-headily opposes facts with no rationale for doing so

Ex 1: Someone states that they dislike illegal immigrants and illegal immigrants need to be deported,they are automatically labeled as "racist" -- There is no race entitled "illegal immigrant." If someone doesn't like illegal immigrants from any country then they aren't racist.

Ex 2: Someone says they do not support same-sex marriage,they are automatically labeled as "homophobic" -- I agree that they are normally homophobic based on the second part of my definition ... they are usually afraid of normalizing gay culture within broader society (either due to religious reasons or otherwise), but I don't think most anti-gay marriage people hate gays.

Ex 3: Someone says that Hilary Clinton and Sarah Palin were not fit to be presidents,they are labeled as "sexist" -- If it is 100% because they are women then they might be sexists, but then again I think that acknowledging different gender roles is not sexist.

Ex 4: Someone says that illegal immigrants harm the economy more than having positive effects on the economy,they are labeled as "ignorant" -- they aren't ignorant if they back up their claims with facts. If they prove with objective evidence that illegals harm the country more than help and someone blindly calls them ignorant then they themselves are ignorant.

• 1) Believing a particular race or races is/are superior or inferior to others

2) Fear (not hate) of homosexuals

3) Believing a particular gender is superior to the other one

4) Lacking knowledge

Alot of people are retarded and don't know what words mean. It's a damn shame.

• Racist - Someone who hates and/or insults a race constantly.

Homophobic - Someone afraid of gay people. Won't be around them or anything for fear of getting hit on or something of that nature.

Sexist - Thinking male or female is far superior in some asinine way.

Ignorant - Being completely oblivious to the facts and not giving the facts a chance at all because you feel something is right be it from a majority, something you heard one time, or something you just assumed.

What Girls Said 4

• No, those scenarios do not justify describing the people stating those opinions. At least not always, and imo. In your first example, I wouldn't consider that person a racist. In your second example, I would consider that person homophobic, because it's a form of discrimination. In your third example, I wouldn't consider that person sexist. They just aren't the best candidates for the job. In your fourth example... idk, I'm neutral. Well, here's what I think:

Racist - When people think that the way a person acts is based on the race they happen to belong to, and they basically stereotype and group people together, and discriminate against them accordingly. Racial slurs and jokes included.

Homophobic - Discriminate against homosexuals, not allowing them same rights as heterosexuals; bullies them for their orientation; hateful slurs

Sexist - Firmly supports ridiculous and sometimes extreme stereotypes about people belonging to either gender; discriminates against a person because of their gender

Ignorant - Clueless, basically unaware, and just really dense; racists, sexists, homophobes included

So to me, most of these terms involve some kind of discrimination :P

• -racist sombody that discriminates against anyone with a different skin color or culture whatever.

-homophopic someone that is an asshole to gay people without being provoked, they do it just because they feel a hatred for them over a decision they made (being gay)

-sexist somone that always talks down and degrades the opposite sex. ill admit I'm just a little sexist lol oops.. my dad was sexist and it made me feel hatred toward him and men in general in a way

-ignorant someone that is missguided, confused, or not educated about certain stuff and things man lol

• My definitions:

-Racist: acting negatively towards a person based on race/ethnicity. (NOTE: there is a difference between having a preference and having a problem with someone because of who they are)

-Homophobic: acting negatively towards a person based on his/her sexual orientation.

-Sexist: acting negatively towards a person based on gender.

-Ignorant: acting based on one of the above mentioned criteria, or just acting on plain stupidity.

Ex. 1: not necessarily

Ex. 2: not necessarily, though more than likely.

Ex. 3: not necessarily. I honestly believe they weren't fit, and I'm a female.

Ex. 4: not necessarily. That would depend on what facts they base their opinion on.

• Racist is someone who hates a race

Homophobe is someone with a fear of homosexuals

Sexist is someone who believes one gender is above another

Ignorant is someone who doesn't know

I don't think those words fit the statements