My LITTLE sister just got engaged!?

She is 16 years old. (and has only been for a few months) What advice should I give her?

Most Helpful Girl

• best advice ? well if my little sister got engagaed at 16 I would say to her wait a few years before getting married as people change when they get older

What Guys Said 8

• I sugest you advise her to break the engagement as quickly as possible.

• Change it up to make her think differently. Tell her to try out part time jobs and if she has a problem with commitment there, than an engagement will only be tougher.

And I would try to get her to think about other commitments she's made, and the thought that she put into those commitments before committing to them.

And then I would try to get her to see that she's not even at the mark of half her age, in her life. At 16, the tenure of any commitment that she has decided to make at this point in her life only has the ability to have a commitment of about 10 years, assuming she made that commitment at the age of 6. Now try to get her to picture her life 1, 2, 5, and even ten years from now and ask her to try and figure out how it all plays out before she jumps right in it. And any commitment she's used to isn't as long, and as dedicated as the commitment of marriage. and just try to explain that as her sister, you have a big heart for her and your not trying to bring her down, but just thinking out of the "immediate box" of the relationship until she has her priorities strait in her life/something like that. Because she probably hasn't thought about how it's really going to be years from now. And all the what if's. And just let her know that your not trying to judge her, but just teach her, I guess, about herself, in ways she may not have thought about yet, and you don't want to see her get hurt.

Like you know they both like each other, so why rush it? You know, that's how people miss out on opportunities, or burn out, right? I guess is what I'm getting at.

• Tell her that people usually go through drastic changes in their late teens and early 20s and that its very likely that both she and her fiance will be different people in about 5-10 years and won't want anything to do with each other anymore.

• tie her up until she admits that she is too young to get engaged

• Wait for the wedding. It's legitimate in my view to be in love enough at that age (I would know, believe it or not) but actually getting married at that age would be a rather stupid move. A long engagement would be a good learning experience, and the best thing to do at this point. Telling her not to do this won't help anything much, sadly enough. Why? She's 16, she obviously knows you're wrong.

• Nothing! just wish her well =)

• Ask her WHAT THE FUCK was she thinking? And make sure she calls it quits unless the guy is right of a princess story book. wth.

• WHAT THE F*** money does not count age matters experience matters loves is secondary people loved themselves an yet they found out they could not live together engagement leads to marriage and we are talking about an investment like in buisness. you invest time patience trust you must play your part like if a woman cooks her must eat it is a must or there is a lot of trouble inthere . STOOOP YOUR SIS BEFORE SHE GOES BANKRUPT STOP HER BY ALL MEANS

What Girls Said 11

• I know how you feel, a couple years ago, my sister told me that she got engaged and she was 17. I had gotten engaged at 18 as well, but had no intentions to get married until we were both 21, thank god, because it didn't work out. And I tried to explain to her that if she insisted on getting engaged to at least wait to get married. She got married before she even turned 18. And divorced before she was 19. It's so hard to explain to them the mistake they are making. You just need to be persistant, and caring about it, not pushy. Good Luck!

• I would keep it simple and sweet.

The best thing to do here, is tell her that you love her and that you like her bf. (whether you do or not, insulting, the guy she is head over heals for is the WORST thing you could ever do right now).

I would tell her that you know that getting married right now is not an intelligent decision, and that she has a lot to loose (finacially,emitionally,experiental,relationship-wise) BUT, at the end of the day whatever she does, you will still be her sister.

• well if she was my sister I would beat the crap out of her. and scream " have you lost your mind". lolol

• Tell her to think it through before she does any thing she'll later regret. Tell her she's young and there are still things for her to know in the world.

• Run away! And fast! :-)

She's too young and has her whole life ahead of her

• tell your sister to reconsider what's she's thinking. after all love at that age is lust (most of the time). but if your sister is one of the stubborn one's (like one of my friends) she may just have to learn on her own. what a mistkae she may be making.

• well how soon is she wanting to get married does this boy even have enough money to support her? how old is he? then I can give you my best advice

• wear condoms. lol ^_^

• tell her not to get married young, she will regret missing out being a teenager

• Well, show her all the things she has to do as an adult, and the fact that she would be throwing away the ability to go out and have fun if she was a kid. She woulnd't be able to go out and just get drunk and party, she would have responsibilities to take care of. That, and she's also in school. Show her the importance of going to college and getting a career. She is just too young to get married, and right now the guys that she's marrying, they're probably just enfatuated with one another, and caught up in the moment. You need to explain this to her. Though, make a compromise. Say that if she waits and gets her life in order, and creates goals and aspirations that she would like to follow for the future (which would make her life easier, like a career and finances) that things would be much better than marrying so young. I hope this helped!

• HOLY CRAP! Tell her to stop and slow down! She has a long road in that department! She is a baby for God's sake! She, along with her fiance, have a LOT of maturing to do and people change. She is making a mistake. If you love her tell her to RETHINK what the hell she is getting herself into and what she is going to miss out on.