What is the difference between a engagement ring and a promise ring?

My boyfriend is getting me a promise ring with a diamond in it (promise that he is here for the long haul). I know their are differences in a engagement ring and promise ring.should I wear it on my left ring finger?

-What does an engagement ring or promise ring mean to you?

Most Helpful Girl

• My boyfriend is getting me a ring for Xmas too. However I told him I wanted a promise ring a promise of his love, no an engagement ring- which to us means an upcoming wedding. He doesn't believe in marriage but I wanted to have symbols of our love so I made him a ring and he is buying me one. We both know it's not an engagement ring. We've just fought(like an hour ago funnily enough) on what finger to wear it on. To me there is only one finger to wear it on- left ring finger-so every guy who comes to chat me up will know I'm taken but he's having a fit saying that's where rings to do with weddings go. So I guess you should check what he's comfortable with, as for me I want everyone to see I'm off the market!

What Guys Said 1

• level of seriousness , engagement ring is for an actual wedding that is coming up within next year or 2 .

promise ring for a marriage that could take place in next few years or maybe still be as long is 5 years off . no actual date has been set no formal engagement yet

What Girls Said 3

• well obviously an engagement ring leads to marriage, and a promise ring is more of a symbol of love. I had one in high school and I wore it on my left hand. hopefully I state this correctly, the left ring finger has a vessel that supposidly follows up to your heart.

• *a promise ring is just that - a promise that he'll stay exclusive with your for the time being
    *engagement ring means he plans an upcoming wedding

engagement rings can become promise rings if the couple never gets around to booking a wedding date

• The first ring that would be given (if he chooses to) is the promise ring. this ring symbolizes his promise and your promise to be faithful to each other and basically tells everyone that you are both off the market. This ring is thin and small... usually has a small diamond (under a 1/10th karat). The engagement ring is the ring given when you and he promise to each other to be married at some point. This ring is usually in gold or white gold with a large diamond (solitare) or with three stones like mine.
    Check more here: http://www.ringsforwomen.org/