What happens to the wedding ring?

I inherited my Mother's wedding ring when she passed away a few years ago and been thinking about if the marriage doesn't last or the wedding never happens but she's wearing that ring.Who does it go to? The reason I ask this is a friend of mine didn't get married because he broke up with her and she's keeping the ring, regardless. Is it for the couple to decide? What are your thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it is something you need to talk about with your fiancee. Personally, if my fiancee and I were to ever break up I would be sure to give it back to him. I would even have it in a prenup or some other document because I know some women who wouldn't care and would keep the ring. It's an heirloom and without a legal document she would not be obligated to give it back.

What Girls Said 4

• I would return the ring if it had some kind of value to him (like your mother's wedding ring). It wouldn't be right to keep.

If he bought it, I would return it as well.

I would keep the ring he bought, only under some circumstances.

Like, if he took a lot of my stuff, or a lot of stuff and left me with nothing, after the divorce, then I would keep the ring and sell it.

If he hurt me, or my family, I would keep the ring and sell it.

If he owed me money, I'd keep the ring and sell it.

If he abused me, id keep the ring and sell it.

It really depends on how it ends though, or how the relationship went.

Oh and it also depends on how much the ring cost. If it was like a $100 ring, Id probably shove it up his --- JK :p

But something with value should defntly be returned. I believe it is one of those unspoken rules.

• okay honestly. there is no tellin what would happen if you divorce someone and she has your late mother's wedding ring.

for your sanity, and so you don't kick yourself down the road. I'm gonna say.

Get a prenup. and in the prenup make sure there is a stipulation that if the wedding does not work out you get the ring back.

If she is vendictive, or you cheat, or it gets really bad she may keep it just to be a bitch.

• The couple should decide before hand who the ring goes to but it may still not happen depends on the girl and the break up situation. I would honestly not propose with it as it is too close to you just incase somethin did happen and you never got it back like your friend did. Keep it yourself and pass it on to any daughters you may have then that way you'll never loose it.

• I would sign a prenup. Actually a better idea would be to give the wedding band to your daughter if/when you have one. That way you know that it will stay in the family. You may not want to wait that long, but it is a family heirloom.

What Guys Said 4

• A wedding ring (band) is not exchanged in return for a promise of marriage -- it is a lifetime gift, and as such the only way to protect it is with a prenuptial agreement. As it's a family heirloom, the courts would no doubt rule on your behalf should she contest it.

An engagement ring is different, it's a conditional gift. Much like payment before the job is done, it's given with the assumption that the recipient will fulfill certain conditions. If the engagement is broken off at no-fault to the donor, the engagement ring is returned. If it's canceled by fault of the donor, the recipient is allowed to keep the ring because they had every intention of fulfilling the conditions.

Should the recipient choose to destroy, lose, or sell the ring rather than return it, they will be responsible for reimbursing the donor.

Simply put -- get a Prenup. 'tis all you can do, unless it's an engagement ring.

• I read your question more carefully and noticed you were referring to an engagement ring rather than a wedding band. My mistake. See the second and third paragraph of my original reply - as long as you're not at fault for the broken engagement, prior to the marriage, she must return it. Missouri law is on your side.

• A professor I had told me. "Never propose on a holiday, anniversary or birthday because you can't get it back." I am not sure what standing the argument has but it make sense. If the break up is clean I would expect the ring to be returned.

• He was probably talking about the difference between a lifetime and a conditional gift. A ring given on Christmas may be confused with a lifetime gift, especially if the woman takes the ring and says 'I'll think about it.' Most guys won't demand the ring be returned to them until/unless the woman accepts, which, sadly, means that the ring was not given in return for a promise of marriage.

Lesson? Only give the $3,000 engagement ring to her if she agrees to marry you.

• I don't think any woman should accept a ring and attach an "i'll think about it" nor should a guy let her....

He was really giving a remainder to make sure you want to get married and don't care about ever getting the ring back because if you are worried about that then your head is in the wrong place.

• Well I don't think there is a written rule about this sort of thing. It depends on what type of person you marry. Any decent woman would give the ring back if things don't work out, especially if it is a family ring.

the exception to this would be only if the guy screwed up really really bad, then he doesn't deserve the ring back I guess.

• protect everything with a prenuptial agreement! whatever is mine before I get married is mine if I happen to break up because I don't want someone living of my hard earnt money!