How do I tell my boyfriend I DO NOT think we should get engaged?

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2yrs. We are in love and quite a few months ago he brought up the marriage discussion and we decided to get engaged. He is very excited about this and it is now up to him to actually do it since he wants to surprise me. However, lately within the last 3 or 4 months things have not been good. I am now seeing that we can talk about everything but we can not seem to resolve anything. I do not think we are anywhere close to marriage. How do I break it to him that I think we should wait when he is so excited?

Most Helpful Guy

• The best thing to do would be give it to him straight. It sucks to be the bearer of bad news, but it is better than the alternative. Just make sure to explain how you feel and what you feel needs to be done to fix the problems in your relationship.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• I agree with Enicklos12 but would also add that when you do bring it up, make sure you do reassure him that you still love him and want to be with him, just that you think you two should slow things down.

At least you have good insight and notice that you can talk a/b everything but not resolve anything. Would you consider going to couples' counseling? It's a great thing to sometimes have a mediator and it's not like you have to keep going.

You could just get extra help in communicating better with each other so you can resolve things.