Has anyone had an umami burger?

So umami burgers are apparently the big craze. I've never had one but has anyone tried an umami burger?

Most Helpful Guy

• I've never heard of it, but I know what umami is.

It translates as basically "savoury burger" or "meaty burger".

It probably is loaded with MSG or something, to give it a meaty savoury flavour.

I can't imagine it's any good, I'd rather just have a proper beef burger.

What Guys Said 8

• If it's such a big craze, how come I've never heard of it?

• you have now! :)

• I googled it. Umami Burger is a burger chain that exists only in southern california and adds ingredients to give it an Asian flavor. Not much of a big craze if it only exists in one state.

• No, but there was a UK TV show this week where a well known chef took on the challenge of trying to make an airline's food less bland. Part of the reason flight food tastes so bland is that in dried, pressured air like in an airliner cabin your ability to taste both salt and sweet (ie 40$ of the palate) are impaired.

Turns out that umami tasting ability holds up, so he proposed a ground beef and potato dish that he spiced up with seaweed and stuff. The passengers didn't like the sound of what went into it, but all seemed to like the disk when they tried it.

• They are only sold in 4 restaurants in Southern California. Odds are most people haven't had it before.

• Umami is the 5th taste (and there's arguably a 6th, being "heat" as in chili). Regardless, saying a "umami burger" makes as much sense as a "salty burger".

Seems such an odd name. Oh and no, I haven't tried one, I live in Oz.

• ive never had one but I'd like to try it :) The point of them isn't because they are supposed to be nicer then meat - its for vegetarians :p I haven't had a burger in forever lol

• I Googled it and nearly spewed.

• I've had one... it's good but I wouldn't say my life is any more complete because I've had it :-P

• What's a tsunami burger?

What Girls Said 9

• never heard of

• I've never heard of it.It doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.More than half of the responses are from people who have never heard of it. :/

• I've never heard of em until your question. Lol, No, I've never had one, I haven't seen a place here in TN that serves em...or anywhere near my town, that is.

• umami is a taste, such as sweet or salty...its like asking if anyone has tried a sweet cookie.

• OMG. ITS SOOOOOOO GOOD!

If you ever go get the 'Truffle Burger'. It's to die for.

And their sweet potato fries are delish as well.

• oh man, you don't know how hungry this comment made me

• crisp and thin sweet potato fries with a dash of brown sugar on top. Salty, sweet, and crunch. YUM.

• umami is MSG

• What on earth!? lol

• No.

• never even heard of it