OMG! Would you look at the size of the rock on her ring finger.

Now can someone explain why guys spend so much money on engagement rings? And why do women seem to expect such expensive hunks of stone and metal? I hear that it is customary to spend 3 to 6 months salary on a ring. I just don't get it.

Most Helpful Guy

• The average is supposed to be around ¬£2,600... Personally I probably will spend a lot on a ring for the person I want to marry, I know it's bad to be materialistic, but I'd want something that looks special, and I have expensive taste so knowing me I'll pick something classy, and more plain looking and it will cost a bundle. I'd rather put a lot of time and effort in, which usually means I will pick something nice. In the end I also don't want to be cheap about it. I know it's not relevant to our relationship, but people have to see this ring... Some would probably just look at a cheaper ring and think, oh he'll be a terrible husband, how would he have the money to provide for a family?

• So you see the ring as a way of showing others the qualilty of life you plan to provide for your fiance?

• I see it as somewhat part of the tradition and something that people will judge me by... My other half clearly won't, but I don't want people thinking I'm not good enough for her because of something minor. Because honestly I have no problem spending the money on it, sure if I was perhaps strapped for cash I'd be caught in a hard place.

What Guys Said 1

• Me either. And I would never marry a women who desired something so ridiculously stupid.

• See I think the right way to go would be get a simple metal ring. Nothing fancy or costing more than $100. And on top of it in the little box a note saying "I saved $(this much) for a downpayment on the house I want to share with you."

What Girls Said 6

• Who cares about what they usually cost. Times are tough and not everyone has a lot of money. I would be happy if the guy just proposed. And got me a meaningful ring. Not necessarily one chuck full of diamonds. But that's just my opinion.

• I think it's stupid. I told my fiance that I don't want a ring at all, and I certainly wouldn't want a diamond and/or for him to spend some insane amount if for some reason he got me one.

• that's retarded. look at the economy we are living in.

i have no desire to get married at all so I really don't care but I think that spending so much money on a ring is silly. but to each his own.

• some women like nice jewlery and nice things some women don't car. so there is nothing wrong with a women getting a big rock if she wants it. you want something cheap no one will judge you for it

• I don't get it either.

• I don't get it either. I came across that information a while ago and was just appalled by it - then again, I was also appalled by the site I found the information on, but that's another story and I digress.

I'd really rather have a ring that reminds me of my fiancé than one that's particularly expensive. For example, my current boyfriend wears a simple claddagh that he's had since middle school, so if he ever proposes, I'd want him to propose with something that looks like his ring.

• Or perhaps even the ring itself, perhaps looped in a necklace?

• Aw, but I don't want to take the ring away from him! I'd want to just move his ring to the correct hand - that's what you do with a claddagh.