Can anybody tell me the point of marriage?

i don't really understand the point of it. I get spending the rest of your life with your significant other but why marriage? I love my girlfriend and want to spend the rest of my life with her but I don't want to get married now and anytime down the road. so to the people who are married can you tell me what's up? to the people whom aren't can you shed some light on this subject? oh. does anybody agree with me?

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on how you look at it. If you look at it from a financial perspective then marriage makes a lot of sense because of taxes, income, children and dependents, mortgage, car payments, other things like that. You get benefits for being married. There are a lot of other reasons why couples get married too. If you're looking at it from a romantic perspective then I agree with you. Romantic marriage today has no point. it makes no sense. It used to be that marriage was taken seriously and was respected. People would respect each other in their marriage and stay loyal, have kids, you know. Marriage was permanence. Today it seems like people take marriage much less seriously, I think people see marriage today more as a temporary idea. Not all people of course but I think its shifted to the majority. I don't know I'm old fashioned though. I get it from my grandfather who has never cheated on my grandmother even after she had a three year affair with her boss.

• finacially... I guess that makes sense. but who marrys someone just for that sole purpose?

• A LOT of people. I mean probably like 20 percent of all people who get married. You would be surprised. Gold diggers, welfare queens, trailer junkies... all kinds of people.

• wow. that's kinda pathetic. people getting married just to rip off the government and benefit themselves and nobody else.

What Girls Said 1

• The reason for marriage is economic...thats what it always has been and always will be. Most get married because they are in love and others for the celebration.

What Guys Said 3

• Marriage is an economic construct so it's not at all related to emotional connections. You don't get married because you love someone, albeit marriage does decrease the rate of break-up by quite a bit if you want that emotional security. Ah the joys of reading a book...

• I never saw the point of a marriage ceremony. I understand getting legally married but the ceremony is just a huge money sink. I wouldn't mind some family and friends but it would be completely different from the whole tux/gown ceremony with a lot less money involved. I think everybody just strives to meet certain social "norms" that everybody else goes for simply to brag to their friends or just out of habit.

• Thriving to achieve a social image of ideal.

That's it.