What's the point of marriage?

Why do people want to get married? It seems like its just a materialistic way for two people to prove their "love" for each other. They end up getting divorced in a few years anyways. Or am I missing something?

Its probably more for those who are religious, for those who want to wait till marriage to have sex.

Most Helpful Guy

• ever seen clerks 2? rosario dawson's character has a good debate with the main dude. her view is that marriage is the government's "ploy" to keep the economy going, then having kids only adds to it. she's says its against our natural instincts and that our main purpose is to procreate as much as possible. that whole "theres only one person out there for me" thing is pretty much crap too. if you believe that then with the billions of people out in the world, odds are that there is a better match for you than the person you are dating/married to.

not saying I agree but she makes a good point =)

What Guys Said 17

• It is never guaranteed that any relationship will not end before your life does, but marriages should be entered into with open eyes and a realistic perspective on the person you'll be spending your life with. Most people rush into marriage because it's romantic and shows people how fresh and shiny their love is, but they have a rose-tinted view of what their lives will be like.

Statistically, yes, there are a lot of people who get divorced, but most relationships will end anyway or everyone I ever dated would have been a virgin and not had an ex-boyfriend.

• to me there is no point. after my parents seperated my mother found someone who came out of his own bad marriage and they were very happy together without marriage, knowing what pitfalls lie in marriage.

• We wouldn't have done it but my parents in law were very pushy about it.

My brother got married when their kids were 7 and 9, I think.

(in this country, marriage can be quite costly on your IRS bill, year after year after year for a lifetime)

• I don't believe in divorce. I'm not religious. I just believe in finding someone that you love and staying committed to them.

• You're missing consistent sex. Or the theory of it, anyway.

• but you don't have to be married to have sex

• lol yea I see what you're saying.

• I agree. I can't really see myself getting married.

• Not everybody gets a divorce but I do agree with you. The whole marriage ceremony is just that- a ceremony. I mean nothing changes except you end up spending thousands of dollars on it. I think it means more to religious people too with the whole priest and the vows and everything. I wouldn't love a woman any more or less before or after a marriage.

Hey that's just me.

• Cant trust anyone now a days to even proceed to get married its a bunch of sh*t.. ..Weak.. Id rather be a total freaking rock-star from Mars and be winning.

• "They end up getting divorced in a few years anyways."

We need to get rid of no fault divorce.

• Tax credits

• Brando is a star

• @Anjaa, you are allowed more deductions and you get taxed according to joint filing rates instead of 2 separate incomes.

• LOL at that quote, that's like something out of the book Misery.

• The two people think they love each other but they really dont

• It's modern day slavery.

• To control how many kids you have. There's not really any point though.

G'day mate.

• It's symbolic to some people

• A symbol of what?

• Thats the word I was looking for you know what I think I will just go with tax credits

• Health insurance.

Consolidate property and wealth.

• to f_u_c_k you

• idk...guess it seemed like the thing to do at the time...anyway, been married 16 years...it is economical...and there is security...I know what I am going home to each nite...and it's usually a good feeling...

What Girls Said 10

• It is just a paper with two people's signature on it! Nothing more - but it is tradition, symbolism and love which to some has ceased to exist. Love is like the wind you can't see it but you can feel it - Nicholas Sparks from A Walk to Remember but anyway love should be there between two people though! If I ever do get married - I really hope he won't fall out of love with me or cheat on me or leave me for someone younger or ask for an open relationship - but that is life and one of those things are always bound to happen so I can not really live in a fantasy where I will grow old with someone! Another reason people get married is to not be alone - none of us want to end up alone - so we do what most of us do - get married for just cause! So I don't know - I know a couple who are like 80 and are still together - I asked this as a question to see what people will say but only two responded but anyway - the couple are so sweet especially the man - he is really chivalrous and always opens the door for her or holds her back or pulls out a chair for her and yes I realize there are no commas or periods - but on Valentine's day he pulled out a candle and bought a biscotti and tea which they shared and talked about nothing - someone told me this but when I went there I saw them and they were so cute. And that is funny - such little things make me happy and most girls I know not materialism but anyway I was blabbing on here but yea marriage people say are for suckers so who knows!

• I think marriage is outdated now days it seems more like and excuse to quit working on the relationship almost like everyone thinks "well now that we're married they can't leave me" so they stop listening to each others problems and stop doing nice and thoughtful things for each other. I don't foresee myself getting married, relationships take work and pretending that we don't have to work at them now because we signed a magical piece of paper does not make for a happy love filled life.

• i don't know

• There are benefits, a lot of benefits. Like taxes and being able to visit a spouse in the hospital would be two. Other than that, not sure. XD

• religious- two people become one..and you are suppose to wait to have sex until marriage in which you unite as one once again since a piece of adam made eve...

• yea I figured that.. but what does Adam and Eve have to do with marraige (marraige being a symbol of the love of two people right) the story of Adam and Eve has nothing to do with that type of love util they disobeyed god and were sent out of the garden of eden, even then their love was seen almost as a punishment for consuming the apple?

• You are, you are suppose to follow his lead but everybody sins..nobody is perfect the only person that was perfect was Jesus.

• it says in the bible jesus was born as a man (man meaning human, and you said it yourself 'nobody(meaning no human) is perfect') Jesus bleed like a human and acted like a human (i.e. had emotions and thoughts) that's why his resurrection was considered a miracle.. so wouldn't it be a contradiction to say he was perfect?

• Tradition and most importantly, as Dom163 said, it's symbolic of your love and commitment to that person. Key word being commitment

• To make a commit that your willing to stay with your spouse forever until you die

• to be with one person forever

• the security

• Men want regular sex and women want babies.

• You can have regular sex w/o marriage, but not always the kinky kind.

• i thought you could sue someone if they don't have sex with you and you're married.

look, I have bigger problems in life than talking about marriage.

maybe it has to do with money idk. it might be cheaper if you live together than if you live alone.

anyways, I am already in my 20s and have no prospects of getting married. why sweat it if you don't have to. if you don't want to get married and don't see any personal benefit in it, don't bother.

• lol you don't have to answer all of my questions regarding marriage (I ask a lot lol, and I have a rebuttal for almost everything), I don't plan on getting married (and this question wasn't to convince me other wise) I was just curious why people wanted to get married when, in my perspective, its useless. I've never heard of that law, maybe it depends where you live.