Do you think romance and intimacy are dying out in younger generations?

I've always wondered why many of our grandparents are able to remain in loving marriages for 50+ years, whereas younger generations can barely make a marriage last 5 years. What is even more disturbing is how many young teenagers nowadays have random sex and meaningless relationships, which they somehow hope to turn into a successful marriage.

Is the concept of being truly romantic and intimate with someone too much to hope for nowadays?

Most Helpful Girl

• i think the concept of lasting marriages that are so great is mostly a myth. although there are older people who are in happy marriages for decades, there are also younger people who are as well. I think the number of these people in both old and young is relatively low.

i think most older people stayed in marriages even if they were unhappy, due mostly to the social stigma and pressure of separation and divorce. sometimes, as they got older and their spirits became more broken, they seem to "get along" better.

i also think a lot of younger people used to have random sex and meaningless relationships, they just didn't talk about it. it wasn't spoken of or public, as it is today. I think the main difference is the that the portrayal of relationships in the media has gotten more realistic to some extent.

What Guys Said 5

• I always looked at my grandparents and wondered, how did they do it?

It seems that most people cannot give that kind of commitment.

• Yeah I think so. Both sets of my grandparents were married 50 + years. I think it might be because of what people see in the media

• Yes, and at quite an alarming rate

• You'll have to get real lucky, guys these days are too wrapped up in perception of others and apparently cheating and lying is cool.

• They were never there everything in the movies never happened it was all a lie the faster you start to realize the quicker you'll grow up. So go and suck a cock that's romantic.

What Girls Said 5

• I completely agree with nermalinda.

A little side story...I was told my grandma had to leave her past lover to marry a man my family chose for her because the other man wasn't "good enough" in terms of social/economic class. They left Jamaica and moved to England. After my mom was born and she turned six, my grandma packed up her bags and took my mom took Jamaica while she went to America. Long story short, she never divorced him and is technically a widow. She never talked about it.

• I think back then there was a more distinguished line in social classes, and a lot of marriages were arranged too.

I research this a lot and question "the elders" (people in their 80's) and they say finding love was never easy, and romance was rare. What they had back then that they don't have now is respect. Also, religion was still held very important back then. Divorce was an abomination. Religion instills morals. When you lose religion, I think parents forget that they have to teach their kids morals.

I still don't think true romance doesn't exist. I think if you're willing to do the hard part and wait (which is so hard you cry yourself to sleep night after night). It will happen!

• It's like you have so many options, you want the perfect life, job, apartment, clothes, and a perfect mate to go with it.

• I agree with you. Back in the days, the first person you introduced to your parents was who you married. Now there are too many options and people simply leave when something or someone better comes along.

• I agree with you.